Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats on the TT. I hope you lots of enjoyment from it and looking forward to hearing about your experiences on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #16

Congrats, have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored77 View Post
Gunkle, we are already starting to look at some mods. I would like to do laminate flooring throughout, except bathroom my wife hates the wallpaper with sticker trim, and would like to replace with luan primed ad painted
Two suggestions - be careful with the laminate flooring. It adds weight and some brands are very sensitive to water. Also, the wall paper really isn't. It is essentially a wall paper-type covering over a luan type paneling. The way RVs are constructed it is hard to replace. I suggest simply painting over the existing finish. The borders or "sticker" trim could be removed, or simply use vinyl spackling and sand lightly to make the seam disappear.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another suggestion to learn how TT's are built from the inside out. When I purchased my 1996 TT I wanted to do some modifications. But, I was not really sure how TT's were built. At least not the older model I had.

Somewhere in my search through youtube videos I found "Mark's RV Garage" videos. This is a free series by Mark Polk who has a great deal of professional RV experience. This particular series has about 17 episodes and includes lots of tips about RV maintenance, campgrounds, new RV products (ok, small advertisements, but very small), and, most importantly to me, Mark tackles a vintage TT restoration project. Mark said it was supposed to be a simple restore. But, as he dug deeper into the project it turned into a major restoration. The good news is that I got to see how things were built inside the walls, the plumbing, the electrical, etc. It is not a tutorial on each of these areas. But, rather one gets an overview and sees how everything fits together.

On his website (rveducation101.com) he has more tips, etc. He also sells instructional videos, if you are interested. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Mark. I have not purchased any of the videos at this point, so I cannot vouch for them. I did learn from and enjoy a lot of the free "stuff" that he offers.

The series takes some time to watch. Each episode is about an hour long. There are about 17 of them.

There are probably more helpful videos on youtube for RV's. I have watched a lot of them. Some are scary (things NOT to do!). Some are quite good. Some are simply advertisements.

So, take your time and do your research before you tear things apart. The folks on this forum are awesome and have helped me many times. Sometimes I ask questions. Sometimes I simply search the forum and find the answers from when others asked questions.

Again, welcome to iRV2. The decision you and your wife have made to make family memories with an RV as an instrument is wonderful. Best of luck and enjoy your family and your RV.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #19

Looks like there are no recent mods getting done. The transmission in the hauler let go and I have to rebuild that by next weekend. Always something, and the hauler is my daily driver
overbored77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Congratulations & safe travels, from Marlboro NJ!
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Exercise your right to go camping!
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote