Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Fan runs continuously

We have a 2012 skyline Joey 22ft. Is the ac fan supposed to run continuously? Or should it be cutting off like the ac in a house.??? TIA
suaans228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #2

depends- if you sit in the middle of nowhere, no tree, no shade and the sun is right above with 100 degrees around you, the AC is running 24/7.
If it's 60 degrees and shady, it just goes on and off to maintain the temperature inside.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My ac's have three fan settings; low, hi and auto. Maybe you're not in auto, where the fan only comes on when the ac compressor is on?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If the fan is running after the compressor kicks off, then check the fan switch on the thermostat to see if it's set to 'On' rather than 'Auto'.

I don't use Auto on mine, so the fan always runs. (we like the air to keep moving even if it isn't actively cooling)

Or as Guy65 implied, it could just be running because RVs are hard to cool and it's never actually gotten it cool enough to turn off the compressor.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #5

Press it once for fan twice for ac and third heater. I can tell when the ac stops blowing cold. Then it's just running. Never stops. Just the air coming out is colder at times.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

I think I found a video showing how to change the fan setting. Yay. Lol
Old 08-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaans228 View Post
Press it once for fan twice for ac and third heater. I can tell when the ac stops blowing cold. Then it's just running. Never stops. Just the air coming out is colder at times.
still- it has a separate option for fan- the fan can run on auto (switches on and off as needed, regulated by the temperature sensor), on permanent (the word says it) or off. Mine for example has also a high and low function. check, if it's on permanent. if, switch it to auto.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #8

I wish my coleman mach 1 came like that. I just purchased an aftermarket kit to have the fan turn off with the compressor from AirSwitchRv. Havent put in yet but man it should have come like this.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
I wish my coleman mach 1 came like that. I just purchased an aftermarket kit to have the fan turn off with the compressor from AirSwitchRv. Havent put in yet but man it should have come like this.
this- and many other features are the reason, why coleman campers are ~$3000 cheaper than all the others. They look nice on first view, but under the covers, there is just the minimum, what you really have to put in it. The unit we looked at, which had similar layout to our VIBE, for example, had no LED light, no residential fridge- not even for extra money, a simple AC on/off switch with nothing in between, manual awning, manual jacks, manual tongue jack, only gas heated hot water heater- electric/gas would had been a $800 upgrade , a 13K AC instead of 15K, no outside TV antenna hookup, those cheapo plastic blinds all over, a laminated counter top, instead of the full plastic one, no stainless steel appliances, cheap curtain at the shower, no outside shower, and so on.
why do you think, they are cheaper? for "just" $3000 more, we bought the VIBE, which had all that and way more! the VIBE even had the 32" TV in the living room included. and it actually looked nicer and has even ornamented metal curtain rods with nice curtains over the windows.
Not to downgrade or dog your camper- but I looked very closely on this one, because actually it's a really good deal, when you're on a budget and if I would had been limited- I have to admit- I would had bought it. But I would also had regretted it, after I know, what I know now. Coleman is a basic budget camper, Nothing wrong with that- but if you have some air in your budget, you're better off with anything else.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
this- and many other features are the reason, why coleman campers are ~$3000 cheaper than all the others. They look nice on first view, but under the covers, there is just the minimum, what you really have to put in it. .......Coleman is a basic budget camper, Nothing wrong with that- but if you have some air in your budget, you're better off with anything else.
I was refering to my Coleman Mach 1 Power Saver AC unit not the trailer. I own an ORV. And I like the AC unit because it only uses 1000 watts to run and I can use my honda 2000 easily to run it. They just should have made it so the blower shuts off with the compressor. I guess if they treat the AC like the trailers they make I see your point.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
this- and many other features are the reason, why coleman campers are ~$3000 cheaper than all the others. They look nice on first view, but under the covers, there is just the minimum, what you really have to put in it. The unit we looked at, which had similar layout to our VIBE, for example, had no LED light, no residential fridge- not even for extra money, a simple AC on/off switch with nothing in between, manual awning, manual jacks, manual tongue jack, only gas heated hot water heater- electric/gas would had been a $800 upgrade , a 13K AC instead of 15K, no outside TV antenna hookup, those cheapo plastic blinds all over, a laminated counter top, instead of the full plastic one, no stainless steel appliances, cheap curtain at the shower, no outside shower, and so on.
why do you think, they are cheaper? for "just" $3000 more, we bought the VIBE, which had all that and way more! the VIBE even had the 32" TV in the living room included. and it actually looked nicer and has even ornamented metal curtain rods with nice curtains over the windows.
Not to downgrade or dog your camper- but I looked very closely on this one, because actually it's a really good deal, when you're on a budget and if I would had been limited- I have to admit- I would had bought it. But I would also had regretted it, after I know, what I know now. Coleman is a basic budget camper, Nothing wrong with that- but if you have some air in your budget, you're better off with anything else.
There is no connection between the Coleman brand of trailers and the Coleman Mach brand of air conditioners. Their units are one of the best and are used by all the manufacturers.
Shouldn't run down some else's choice of RV.
I paid cash for my new one ton truck and have a New Horizons 5 th wheel on order that is over three and 1/2 times the price of my new truck. I like to see and visit with everyone and am drawn to those who are just starting out with small rigs. They have the spirit and are experiencing the fun of getting out and enjoying this great country. Relax and keep an open mind.
Maybe google New Horizons and look at them.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ajohanson, I also have a new ORV and my Coleman Mach controller cuts the fan off when the compressor cycles off. Maybe they did not wire your correctly or the fan switch is faulty. Mine will stay on if I have low or high speed selected but cycles when on auto.

How are you liking your ORV? Loving mine so far, can't wait for the weather to turn colder so the campgrounds empty out.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #13

Ironically, my parents Coleman 2855BH TT has a fan adjustment on the AC, just like the more expensive trailers. They've had zero issues with it. Just got back from Yellowstone last week and had a great time.

It also had power leveling, a gas/electric water heater, and many of the other options that guy65 listed.

Vibe is a nice trailer, but it's a bit naïve to assume that just because something costs less, that it's cheaper. It isn't.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #14

After I Found A Video on You tube I found out how to switch it of hi fan and now it's on auto. thanks everyone for replying. blessings and safe RVing

Tags
fan