Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #1

Fantastic Fan Question

Today I went in our trailer and heard a noise coming from the living room fantastic fan, hard to describe other then it sounded like the electric motor was trying to start the fan or laboring to open the vent cover. The battery disconnect was switched to "off", the vent switch was "down", the vent cover was closed and the fan speed was at "1". I turned the fan speed to "0" and the noise stopped. I have been in the trailer numerous times and the fan was not making any noise before today. A while back the bedroom fan made the same noise, the fan speed was on "1", I turned it to "0" and the noise stopped, the battery switch was "on" and the trailer was on shore power.

Anyone else have this issue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never heard of it.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #3

I always turn mine to 0. If not set to 0 I think some kind of sensor is on. Mine makes a slight hum. Remember there is some sort of rain sensor.

Ok...call me stupid because I believe these fancy fans can be set to work automatically but I just use mine the old fashion way. I turn it on and off manually.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Your fan was picking up some 12 VOLTS and was trying to operate normally but being only at level 1, it was only using 1/3 or 1/4 of the voltage, not enough juice to open the vent cover and to get the fan working properly; I always close my automatic Fantastic fan just in case it rains and that the fan does not close the cover.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
IC2

I had a similar experience - called the manufacturer and a new one was on my doorstep in two days. Yes, it was 'officially' well out of warranty by 4-5 years but they stood up and did the good customer service response. I believe that Camco now owns them so don't know if they're still as well tuned in to the occasional woes of their product. Our new trailer has another brand and while the two that are in it are OK, they just aren't as capable as a Fantastic product.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Thank you all for your help.
Tuffr2, there are no rain sensors on the fans, like you & I agree so I was doing it manually and it was on "0", but since the wife takes care of the inside, I opted to go with the electric (has to be on "1" to work) to save me another thing to do.
Normandlegra, I think you are right, I discovered the battery disconnect switch is overrided by the solar battery trickle charge when that switch is on, not much power, but it is enough to light up the radio and turn on the LED lights.
IC2, thanks, I will keep it in mind if the problem continues.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 AM   #7

I know tere are several different models, as far as options you get on the fan. Our new camper has one ( i'm sure the basic model ) and i had never herd of them. True to their name, it is Fantastic !!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I know tere are several different models, as far as options you get on the fan. Our new camper has one ( i'm sure the basic model ) and i had never herd of them. True to their name, it is Fantastic !!!!

There are 5 models of Fantastic fans, $125 to $350. !
Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail 12 Volt Fans
Old 07-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I dealt with them 2 years ago they diagnosed my problem on the phone, had terrific customer customer service, no charge for the parts I needed I got them in a few days.

Tags
fan