Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #1

Feasability of a TT to Alaska

Posted this on "Boondocking" also but thought I might get another view here. We have friends that want to go with us to Alaska in a TT. I've read the threads using MHs but haven't found anything on TTs going there. Anyone with experience doing it in a TT? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Posted this on "Boondocking" also but thought I might get another view here. We have friends that want to go with us to Alaska in a TT. I've read the threads using MHs but haven't found anything on TTs going there. Anyone with experience doing it in a TT? Thanks
In 2010 we went on a Good Sam Caravan to Alaska. At that time we had a 36' Jayco Senaca. We did not want to use for the 42 day trip. We bought a 2005 15' Pioneer travel trailer for $5000. Did all of the required maintenance for $2000. Made the trip and came home and soled the camper for $6000. Best thing we ever did after seeing problems others had with large units. Campgrounds are few and filled with little space between each camper. Mostly 30 amp.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymen View Post
In 2010 we went on a Good Sam Caravan to Alaska. At that time we had a 36' Jayco Senaca. We did not want to use for the 42 day trip. We bought a 2005 15' Pioneer travel trailer for $5000. Did all of the required maintenance for $2000. Made the trip and came home and soled the camper for $6000. Best thing we ever did after seeing problems others had with large units. Campgrounds are few and filled with little space between each camper. Mostly 30 amp.
Did you find that having just 30 amps a problem ( like needing 50 amps for AC). I know that you only have 1 AC but did you need your AC?
We are planning a trip for 2013 and heard that some camp grounds only offerred 30 amps, but figured we would not need to run our ACs.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Howdy!

We've been to Alaska in our MDT and 36' 5er. When we go back for our next visit we we'll us the 29' Airstream TT.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
Old 08-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post
Did you find that having just 30 amps a problem ( like needing 50 amps for AC). I know that you only have 1 AC but did you need your AC?
We are planning a trip for 2013 and heard that some camp grounds only offered 30 amps, but figured we would not need to run our ACs.
Having lived in Alaska for a couple of decades, I'd say that MOST of the time you'll not need an A/C. However, there are days around Fairbanks (few and far between) when the temps hit the 90s. I'd guess that a 30A circuit would suit you well. The interior gets warmer (and far colder: I've seen -82F on the thermometer) than other locations in Alaska.

Don't forget that Alaska is HUGE, and you'll lots of time to make the trip. Best reference you can buy: The Milepost, a mile-by-mile reference for traveling to and in Alaska.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Have a fun trip! It's a beautiful place.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12

We are planning a trip for 2013 and heard that some camp grounds only offerred 30 amps, but figured we would not need to run our ACs.
Did not have a problem. As a matter of fact we left the lights on which kept the little camper warm after a day of touring in Alaska. Used the furnace to break the chill in the morning. Only used the AC leaving south Louisiana and returning. Now some of the big rigs had problems not having 50 amp.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Before buying our Class A we had our Class C all over AK with 30 AMP. SPent winter and summer in it without problems.

My friend has a TT in AK without problems.

To date my only problem in AK is when I go to Seward my Class A is about 10" too long for my favorite parking spot on Resurrection Bay.

Go for it.

Agree with the poster above, get a copy of The Milepost. The best resource for any trip throughout Canada to Alaska you can have.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Seattle to Hyder and back. International Travel-all , 28' wilderness TT. Take extra tires.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

to anchorage and back with a 24 ft tt. no problems we took extra tiers and gas.have fun
Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes
Seattle to Hyder and back. International Travel-all , 28' wilderness TT. Take extra tires.
Would like to see pics of this rig especially the IH! Don't see hardly any surviving IH iron on the road around here. Would love to see pics of one still working!

I'm very jealous of anyone who has been or is going to Alaska! Maybe one day I can go!!!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue12v View Post
Would like to see pics of this rig especially the IH! Don't see hardly any surviving IH iron on the road around here. Would love to see pics of one still working!

I'm very jealous of anyone who has been or is going to Alaska! Maybe one day I can go!!!
Sorry, this was back in '78-79.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #12

Darn....

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #13

On the road back from 1 week shake down cruise and friends still want to go to AK Post more when home Thanks to all
Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #14

I know this is kind of late but my wife, son and I just returned from a ten week trip from Delaware to Seward, Alaska and back. I towed a 25 foot travel trailer and am very happy to say that we experienced no problems other that a silver dollar sized crack in the windshield that happened 30 miles from the end of the Alaska Highway. Fantastic trip and I am ready to repeat it!