Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #1

Feedback for service contract (extender warranty) on a travel trailer

Hi,

The dealer is offering me one of those extended warranty (or server contract) for 6 years. I got a new trailer with 2 years manufacturer warranty.

Should I get this service contract of 6 years? The package is ~1,300.

I'm concern about some of the items in the trailer that can be expensive to fix/replace after the manufacturer warranty expires.
I also worry about this service contract, not sure if the items that normally fail are included or they are part of the exception list.
He mentioned that one of the items that I will get with this is the road side assistance, when I saw the terms and conditions, they only cover the first 50 dollars for road side assistance, I think my insurance is better than that.

Any good or bad experiences with these service contracts?
marcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
GPW

EVERYTHING will be expensive to replace after the warranty expires... If you do consider the extended warranty , be sure to read and understand ALL the fine print to see that EVERYTHING is covered ... and labor too ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #3

Having experienced the same sales pitch, and afterward investigating alternatives, I declined an extended service contract Why? The trailer has a warranty, onboard appliances have warranties_ Dometic air conditioners have a 3 year warranty, frig 3 years, etc. The extended service contracts only kick-in after the mfgrs. warranty expires. To receive claims benefits you must do exactly as the contracts states to file a claim. I think you will be money ahead if you bank the same amount as the extended service contract costs, and save it for future repairs or replacements.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #4

Ray is correct--you have to maintain all appliances yearly, and you will pay more for that service each year than it is worth. AND, they will probably still find some way to wiggle out of the payment.
You might consider the Good Sam Extended Warranty--it is available at any time in the first five years--but they can still call you on the maintainance clause if they want to.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #5

Extended warrantys are an insurance policy. Like any Ins. Co. they are in business to make money. I will not buy one as I feel it is a waste of money for me. I am retired from plumbing, heating and A/C. I can fix most things.

You should do maintenance on your appliances on at least a yearly basis. If you do that dilligently then most problems will all ready be taken care of before they become a problem.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #6

Just as followup...

I did sign the extended warranty. That will add 3 more years after the 2 years Jayco warranty. I paid ~$1300 for that.

I was looking at the prices to replace of fix appliances and I was amazed on how expensive they are. That's why I decided to do that, still not sure if was a good decision, the future will tell.

I hope I don't have to use it (but if this happens I will ask myself why I paid for that ), but, if I use it, I hope I don't have issues with them paying for the fix.
marcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
GPW

My Jayco dealer mentioned that HE should inspect the trailer once a year to maintain the warranty , and have the caulking redone too... For which he charges $1200 for ... I don't think so !!! Read the Fine Print in your manual ...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I don't buy extended warranty on anything. I figure it must be good for the company selling the warranty or they would not be doing it. Where we got our last fiver in Florida they got $150 a hour. I would hate to pay that for the guy that tried to fix a few things the factory missed. I ended up fixing it myself. I did have to take it in here for a slide problem to which Carriage paid for.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcv View Post
Just as followup...

I did sign the extended warranty. That will add 3 more years after the 2 years Jayco warranty. I paid ~$1300 for that.

I was looking at the prices to replace of fix appliances and I was amazed on how expensive they are. That's why I decided to do that, still not sure if was a good decision, the future will tell.

I hope I don't have to use it (but if this happens I will ask myself why I paid for that ), but, if I use it, I hope I don't have issues with them paying for the fix.
Insurance is the business of accepting premiums and denying claims. Anonymous.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
GPW