Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Cool Feeling a bit unsettled

Feeling a bit unsettled and nervious about our New RV
Hello Everyone, we joined this group last year in the fall.
We purchased a brand new RV OR top of the line.
It's a beautiful RV, but after getting it home, We did another walk
around and threw. It towed home wonderfully, even with the gusty wind, and horrible road going from Tulsa to home. The next day we did another walk around and walk threw, needless to say to my disapointment.
I really hope that the CEO of this company reads my letter, but probably not....The Sad thing about this RV is that it is such a beautiful RV, but the workmanship is lacking in Quality workmanship. We are taking it back down to Tulsa, and hopefully get all the problems corrected, with the high price of diesel, hope it is not like some of the other RV owners here where they have had to take their RV back time and time again.
I do have a question for you. I asked the RV place were we bought the RV if they would replace the table as it was damaged, not big but noticeable, we were told NO! This is how I feel, yes we traded our wonderful Cardinal in for the OR, but it still cost us a pretty penny. I just kind of feel this way about it. Would you all settle for a brand new home that had defects?
C.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

I would like to also mention that the cabinet and refrigerater door was also damaged. etc.
C.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. To answer your question, NO I would not settle for a new RV with defects. They all have problems in the beginning, some minor, some can be major, but that is why they come with a warranty. I would first talk to the owner of the dealership about the table if he/she refuses to take care of the problem, I would call the manufacture and tell them the problem and see what they say.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Depending on your price point of your RV, they all will need some tweaking, some much more than others......

Our first RV a 99' Coleman pop-up had a water leak between the body and the front storage trunk. Also the table when lowered for sleeping only had 2 screws instead of 4-5 in the cleat on one side, thus causing the table to fall to the ground and break in half. The dealer took care of both issues.

Our second tt (05' Aerolight Cub hybrid) I can only remember a few very small issues to take care of....I guess were lucky....

Our future is either another hybrid because of the cost of fuel or upgrading to a Carriage 5er and a diesel tow vehicle. I thought the Carriage brand were a step above, but have heard here on the forums of problems too.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If it's brand new, I would expect absolutely no damages! If I found them I would take it back for repair. Just be sure what you are seeing is not Buyers Remorse. It used to happens to me no matter what I'd buy, always thinking I might have got a better deal somewhere else. DW finally convinced me that if there was something physically wrong then YES it has to be made right, if it's a case of remorse look at the good things they should outweigh the bad. Make sure you speak to the management not the salesman, post some pictures and let us know how it turns out.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Thank You Ron and Wendy,
I am hoping that everything will come out OK.
C and R
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #7

Thank You DRosedale,
I kind of feel that way as well.
C and R
Old 04-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Persistant and patient wearing down is what it takes to get what you want in my experience. A damaged table needs replacing or fixing---that just makes since so pursue it by what ever means you have. I try not to get upset or unreasonable but I hang in there. Appealing to department heads or the owners is often necessary and yes the manufacturer. Often it takes more than one trip to get things right. I have found the most frustrating thing not to be the repairs needed (fortunately we have had mostly minor things) but the fact that it takes a few visits to get it right. There seems to be a mantra in the industry that it is expected for these tings to have problems on delivery. Personally I believe it to be shameful---but it seems to be the case. Hang in there---do not give up---
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes,
Quote:
There seems to be a mantra in the industry that it is expected for these tings to have problems on delivery. Personally I believe it to be shameful---but it seems to be the case.
When you buy a new RV they have included a "prep" fee in the final price. So why don't they do some " prep " ??? then..... When we purchase a RV, we just ask for a "out the door price" so I don't care how they come up with the final price. Our's was fairly clean except the storage compartments had a bunch of sawdust.....But even doing the walk-thru we noticed a few of the clips that hold the window blinds against the wall were broken. Had them screw in new ones right there and then....
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If necessary, take it back to the factory...or tell them that they can come pick it up and delivery when completed.

Ken
Old 04-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Most manufactures have factory departments that handle stuff like this....In the end, they will have the part or item right there. Columbus is not that far from Indiana, which I assume is where your unit was made..... If something like that is offered by them, I would take them up on it. I remember my parents whole slide had to be taken out. They put them up in a hotel for 3 days....
Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #12

I have never purchased a new motorhome and doubt I ever will; however, I would think in todays market if a dealer is fortunate enough to get a new vehicle buyer they would make absolutely sure everything was top notch and correct. If they happened to miss something, they would bend over backwards to make it right. I wonder if the original poster had identified the dealer, how many more would go there?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
GPW

QUOTE: " I would think in todays market ..." But they don't.. My dealer never missed an opportunity to try and sell me more things for my unit .... while I was there.. getting things fixed correctly ... Things that SHOULD have been right from the start ...
Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #14

I think it has alot to do with the dealer. Our 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite had a few issues after the shakedown trip, and the a few more after our 3rd trip. We have taken it back to the dealer for repairs, all of which have been done while we waited at no cost. They even told us if we changed our Toad they would set up our new one at no cost. We recently bought a new Toad and they honored their word on the set up all at no cost.
If all else fails, use the Better Buis Bureau...they work wonders.