Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Feels Like we're sleeping on concrete

Our TT came with a rock like mattress. When we were ordering the unit we didn't think to upgrade the mattress. Can anyone recommend a good foam mattress topper? Since we are weekend and vacation only campers we don't want to put in big $$$

Thanks

tam and ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have only completed 1 trip (late last year) in my "RV". for A LOW dollar option i went with a air mattress. For $40 it was a waste. leaks kept me filling every day.
Just this last week i fixed it going to a local mattress warehouse store and I bought a new Good queen size mattress for $203.
How I wish I had spent the $203 first.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We found a 2" thick memory foam topper at Costco and trimmed it to fit. Worked out great, cost was about $80
Here is another option Amazon.com: 2 Inch Thick Full / Double Soft Sleeper 5.5 Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad, Bed Topper: Health & Personal Care
Shows different sizes available too.
Good luck.
RG
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Toppers can help, but if your comfort is really important to you and you sleep often in your RV, my recommendation is to go to a good mattress store and test out a lot of mattresses to find one which really impresses you.

Our new coach came with a Sleep Number mattress. At first it seems like it would be a good thing, but in reality, all it is is two air bags connected together. It is not a well designed, premium, comfort-oriented mattress. It's a cheap air bag with an electric air pump attached to it. Whoop-d-doo. :-/

We tried the Sleep Number for a week or two - found it lacking in true comfort no matter what the setting.

Then we added a $150 topper. Nope - still not good.

Traded the topper back in for a $300 memory foam topper. Still NOPE. Better, but NOT great.

In the end we returned the second topper for credit and trashed the Select Comfort mattress in favor of a Simmons Beauty Rest Elite King mattress, which is a hybrid design of individually pocketed coils, along with memory foam. SUPERB comfort. Cost us about $1400. Best money I ever spent.

We are living in our coach mostly full time. So having a bed which we really look forward to sleeping in every night is very important to us. If you can spend some extra bucks on the best mattress, the best sheets, and the best pillows... then you will feel like a KING, EVERY night when you go to bed! And wherever you camp for the night, you are right at home in the best bed you can get. Priceless!

What you sleep on is as important as any other aspect of your RV, as far as we're concerned. Spending just a thousand or so extra to achieve dreamlike comfort in bed is priceless.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I just bit the bullet and ordered a quality 4 inch memory foam topper. Thanks for your suggestions everyone
tam and ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
One point about memory foam that people who have never used it should know. In cold weather it tends to set up really hard. The warmth of your body will soften it somewhat where you are laying, but it can be quite firm in cold weather, so if using in your RV and you don't keep your RV warm - your memory foam topper may be stiffer than you may want. Some of the new hybrid mattresses which combine individual pocketed coils with various layers of different types of memory foam don't suffer from "setting up hard" in cold weather.

Simmons beauty rest elite is one of these. Fantastic comfort. Here is the Beauty Rest Elite king size we put in our HR 43DFT:
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

I have two foam mattresses from bedinabox.com in my house .when my new TT comes in next month i will order a 9" foam Queen size mattress .We love their foam mattresses. They have trailer size and normal size. They deliver to your home and if your not happy after 90-120 days they will refund 100% of your cost. I think the prices are very reasonable. No complaints so far! Good luck!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #8

I know what you mean by a hard rock mattress! We had the same problem on our boat which got us searching for a fix. Friends of ours had recently replaced their mattress (same problem) and also purchased the Froli Sleep System for underneath the mattress. They said to try the Froli system first before purchasing a new mattress as it will improve the comfort level of the existing mattress which can save bucks. If you do replace the mattress, you can get by with only a 3” to 4” foam mattress to get the same comfort of more expensive thicker mattresses. Anyways, we purchased it and put it under our existing mattress (4” foam medium firmness) and it immediately improved our sleeping comfort. It also has alleviated the moisture under the mattress and it is lite weight. It has done the trick for us and we highly recommend it. The company, Nickle Atlantic, has a 30 day money back guarantee so it was a no-brainer for us. They are very helpful and will help in determining just what you need.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I understand memory foam mattresses are quite heavy. If you have underbed storage, you might want to research that.

JoAnn
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

We had the same complaint about our mattress. We purchased a $25 foam topper from Target and are pleased with the results (considering it was only $25). We also primarily only use it for weekends and short vacations and didn't want to spend much money just to upgrade the mattress.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As it happens I like sleeping on a extra super firm matress.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for 'bed in a box' there mattress is wonderful and very comfortable! We ordered a 11" pac bed for our home and we plan on ordering a 9" for the tt.
99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #13

For our queen trailer bed we just went to sam's club and bought a full mattress, then we got a walmart foam topper, not memory foam. We are very comfortable now.
AE. Air mattresses gave us years of trouble.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam and ger View Post
Our TT came with a rock like mattress. When we were ordering the unit we didn't think to upgrade the mattress. Can anyone recommend a good foam mattress topper? Since we are weekend and vacation only campers we don't want to put in big $$$

Thanks
Rethink that foam. It doesn't breathe like a real mattress. I always felt sweaty and sticky and finally got rid of mine. And yes, that was with a mattress pad and sheet over it.