Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
Without making any political statements , lets just say the FEMA trailers were a big mistake ... better than Nothing ... but people should have at least been told to open all the windows for a while ... Not good trailer planning !!! For all the people who bought one in the aftermarket (at a bargain price) I sincerely HOPE they are rendered harmless by now !!!! Best wishes to all !!!!

GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
Here hey all went

Heres where they are ..... $4000 a pop

Discount FEMA Trailers

look at the aerial photos, they have thousands. What a waste of gov $. sell them off then buy new ones for 10 times the price for the next disaster. Maybe they will air them out next time

BSD083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Archer in Houston is adverting 26' units for $2995.00 this week.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
I think you can find them even cheaper than that ... The hillsides were literally covered with them right outside Poplarville Miss. http://for-sale.yakaz.com/fema-trailers-for-sale
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
I drive big truck and have been all over the south east the last few days (AL, MS, FL, TX, LA, and TN) and have seen a lot of these things setting in lots, fields and pastures with banners on them. Most at $3,995.00 but I am sure you can do better. Strange to see no striping on the side and did not know that they did not have holding tanks. Wonder how long it will be before they hit the west coast kind of like the flood cars after a storm?
USA Map of Travels Canada Map of Travels Picasa Photo Albums
Are we there yet? Truck 2013 F350 Black DRW CC 6.7 Diesel King Ranch
Blue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
There are some caveats that go with these trailers. Here is a link to a Channel 2 video about one trailer lot that is reselling them.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
Not only the Toxic issues , but you must remember these trailers were literally "thrown" together (Quick and Cheap)... so may be (probably) not the best quality ... The real rip off was the service contracts that were doled out to "favored" companies ... Bringing the price up to $75,000 per unit... It would appear that amount of money would have gone a long way helping folks to get back into their homes, the ones that had one left anyway... Now all FEMA trailers are Outlawed in Orleans parish ...
Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #22
Last July, we got a 28ft Timberlodge for the Ft Pickett FEMA lot in Virginia for work. Entertainment equipment was gone and after putting water to it, I found the valve on the toilet was cracked.

We use it as a mobile office, so the shower came out and a shelve unit went it. The bedroom has been converted into an office area. The bunk beds are gone for more equipment storage.

For the price, the trailer has been just right.
Ron & Susan, Shihpoos Sandy & TooPoo
2011 Winnebago Journey 40U
2012 Fiat 500
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #23
i bought one to use as a temporary dwelling at my camp site. I will use it for several years while i build a permanent place. I did find out a lot about these over the past months. not all of them are equal..there are different grades and the price paid for them goes up and down accordingly. the more work needed or degenerated condition the lower the price. so the $1999s arent the same as the $4000 ones. Gulf stream considers these as "residental models" and does not have a lot of parts for them. they do, however, have all the info you need to put holding tanks in...at least that is what they told me. but mine is hooked into a septic system. parts for appliances ( like racks or knobs ) if needed can be found pretty easily. window screens, and cisa tiolet parts much harder to come by. all in all i am happy with my purchase. it was clean, in pretty decent shape and once i get all the gremlins tamed should be a nice place to kick back and relax. i recommend them...but would say do your research and have a power source to check all the appliances, ac, etc.. check all the appliances for racks, trays, etc..
dalek_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
Texas Boomers Club
we started looking for TT last year some time. Now we live in the dfw metroplex and there is a dealer in denton that has about 30 fema TT priced from 3000-6000. I looked around at some of them and poked my head in and everyone was trashed. so we started looking around and I bought a 2011 brand new tt for 14k on an msrp of 23k now i know the #'s can look funny all the time so looking on the internet the best price i found was 16k for the same one i bought. pick it up next week
Jeremy, Wife, 2 Kids (1 boy age 3, 1 girl age 1), 3 dogs
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.7L v-8 4X4)
2011 Keystone summerland 2600tb
Jlmlgifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
I purchased a Forest River 32' last fall for 5.5k out the door. Most of the trailer was in good shape. The trailer is a 2006 unit. There is some water damage from leaks. That's to be expected since the trailer set in a field for two years before being put up for sale. I've sealed the leaks and am in the process of ripping out the bathroom and refurbishing it. I've pulled the wall boards off and found some minor dry rot. I've arrested the dry rot and only need to re-enforce one small support, all others are in very good condition. I have already purchased tanks and other needed items to convert the trailer from a park model to a travel trailer. When complete I'll have about 8k into it but it'll be like a brand new 32' custom travel trailer. One clarification about comments made about these FEMA trailers - at least applicable to mine - these trailers were slapped together quickly. This means the quality control is almost non-existent, but this does not mean they will fall apart! After spending many hours trying to disassemble the bathroom, I found my trailer to be built very strong. I am amazed at just how difficult it has been to rip apart the bathroom, walls and other parts of the trailer. Also, the fumes that some previous tenants of these trailers complained about was only because they were ran off the assembly line so quickly. Once given a chance to properly air out and for the assembly glues to dry these fumes became minimal as any other travel trailer. Once I get the bathroom finished, new carpet installed, the front bedroom rebuilt and some graphics on the exterior, it'll be one nice trailer for many years. Also, just an FYI - rebuilding stuff like this is sort of a hobby. People were amazed at how I transformed a common and dated pop up trailer into a luxury camping toy. Of course this 32' travel trailer is a much bigger project.

GreatWest is offline   Reply With Quote