Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

FEMA TRAILERS- anybody own them

FEMA TRAILERS---has anyone bought one? I recently purchased a 2006 Gulf Stream Cavalier that was specifically made as emergency housing from the Katrina relief efforts. It was brand spanking new and never used. The duct work in it is still shiny and the sewer line shows no signs of any type of water travel. All appliances are still in the factory wrapping. Only thing now is how to change it over to holding tanks. Anybody ever done this to theirs? If so can you share pictures of how you did it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
GPW

Best air it out very very well , all the ones down here were poison ... Lots of folks developed all manner of illnesses from them ... still unresolved..

Old 07-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

This was mostly just media hype. Every RV has this issue to some point. Check out this thread form a while back. The Fema trailers Formaldehyde issue
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Darrell- your link did not come thru.
There are going to be a ton of these on the market. Buyer beware.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
GPW

Media hype? ... ever live in one ??? Many friends sickened here in FEMA trailers ...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #6

i was going to get a "cavalier" they are made by several different trailer manf.
for 1000.00 all the part can be had , i called coachman and spoke to a very nice lady she sent me a spec sheet on that trailer you need a serial the list had all tamks straps clamps and nuts and bolts they also have instructions that come with the kits,

I never purchased a cavalier trailer but i did purchase a fema trailer that has holding tanks it is a 2006 jag made by K-Z , when the disaster hit the goverment bought all they could mine is a show room model the ac ran. every thing else is brand new.

before purchasing a trailer i studied them for several months very hard.

rusty s
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #7

I just purchased mine. It's the one with a slide in the middle. So far so good. The only thing that is not working is one ceiling light and possible one heater (it's all electric) other then these everything else works fine.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #8

GPW-I know you feel strongly about this just due to the area you live in and what you saw first hand. I do not doubt that people got sick from living in these units when they were new. But they would have the same issue no matter what trailer they lived in when it was brand new. All the manufactures use the same type of glue for the most part and it was the odors and chemical compounds from the glue that made people sick. Now that they have aired out for some time the problem is alot less evident if evident at all. The media just saw this as a story that they could blow out of proportion and raise ratings. That is what my point was. But thank you for your concern.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
GPW

Agreed , once they're aired out ,they seem to be much better !!! Still , despite the media, it doesn't do anything for all the people whose health was adversely affected by the hastily supplied trailers our beloved government passed out after the storm , with NO mention of health hazards ,no testing/oversight and No instructions to air out the trailers FIRST..
And not to mention the Govt. in it's excesses paid more than 75K for each trailer through a "chain" of contractors , who skimmed huge profits off the top, and did little but sub the work out to lesser companies ... enriching a lot of politically connected trailer manufacturers , who didn't bother to assure the safety of their products ... Built quick , poor quality ... Our tax dollars at work , as per usual ... Good job Brownie !!!
And that's only a tiny part of the Storm Profiteering that went on ... Greed that would have made even Halliburton appear "saintly"...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #10

FEMA trailers are just fine, they are like a blank canvas, you can do just about anything you want to if your so inclined
lrgdog
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #11

I think we should keep on the subject of the original poster when repling to any post, it the politicaly correct thing to do guys . . . . .
Old 07-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #12

I believe that these trailers were in such dire need for folks who lost everything that the setup crews didn't have time to air them out.
On another note: Richie Bros auction group is going to have a huge auction, soon, and they have a bunch of these trailers to auction off.
I think you can bid online.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
These trailers were all over the Fort Pierce Florida area last winter; supposedly being washed & refurbished for sale. I would think after a few years of airing out they should be relatively safe now. Not sure where all these units were headed to be sold
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #14

I saw a bunch of these at Ritchie Bros in Ft Worth
www.rbauctions.com