Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Fender Replacement

I thought I'd share my recent replacement of the fenders on our 2009 Thor, Comfort 255TS trailer. The original fenders were most likely over stressed during installation by the way the screws were installed & overtightened. Weather an UV finally did them in.
I first put dabs of DAP black polyurethane caulk into each of the screw pockets of the new fender and then set in some very small stainless steel washers and gently pushed them into the caulk. I then used a rag wet with mineral spirits and carefully removed the surplus caulk until I could see the clean surface of each washer. Once I was satisfied they were all sitting level and flush to the surface of the fender I let the caulk cure for 48 hrs. I then put 1/4" thick weatherproof weather stripping on the back side of the fender, to act as a backing so as to not over flex the fender when tightening the screws. When I installed the fenders I pre-drilled the holes thru the cured polyurethane caulk and the fender material just enough so the screw would go thru snug. I drilled a very small pilot hole in the wall and installed the fenders with stainless steel screws. Then I used the same caulk to seal the edge of the fender to the wall all the way around the fender. Done!!
By installing this way the pressure of the tightened screw is more evenly distributed thru the washer and the hardened caulk and there is no concentrated stress point for a crack to start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020075.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	93303   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020073.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	93304  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020077.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	93305   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020078.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	93306  

ywgbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice clean installation ywgbandit, nice job.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, replace, replacement