Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #15

If you plan on getting a Hensley or ProPride hitch then the caps can be a problem with getting the jacks installed.

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
My next TT will probably have a molded front and rear cap. I'd actually like to have a molded roof, too. I am currently liking the Evergreen Element. They list 2 models but according to their regional manager, they are only producing the smaller unit. It just doesn't suit my needs... What I'd really like is an Aviator Wright Flyer, but they only made them one year, and they were pricey, to say the least... even discounted to more than 50% off original MSRP as some of them are...

Oh well.. back to just enjoying what I have...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

FWIW my Vantage has front and rear molded caps, and it has a front window. Sides are smooth gelcoat. i like the look. Not sure why a front window is a rare feature with the caps - I know some of the Open Range models have it, as well as the now defunct Vantage line. Can't think of any others.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I refuse to buy a trailer without the fiberglass cap. I've seen too many delamination issues on trailers without it. Very ugly.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #19

Thank You from OP

A big Thank You for all the great advice and commentary.

Fiberglas for us!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #20

Coachmen/FR is doing the cap this year on the Apex...alot of different sizes to choose from it is an extra though, but could be worth it in the long run.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #21

After having repairs made on a standard front from a water leak at the front seam, I won't ever have a TT or 5er without a front cap that overlaps the top & sides.

My leak was generally on the seam cover/seal facing forward and was more prevalent when moving during a rain event. The cover/seal was the plastic strip type that slides into slots in the aluminum trim. Probably would have helped if the manufacturer had put a dob of silicone on the screw heads before putting the cover/seal on.......
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt n Fish View Post
My leak was generally on the seam cover/seal facing forward and was more prevalent when moving during a rain event. The cover/seal was the plastic strip type that slides into slots in the aluminum trim. Probably would have helped if the manufacturer had put a dob of silicone on the screw heads before putting the cover/seal on.......
That just means the mfg didn't seal up UNDER the trim. That vinyl insert is not meant to weatherproof the trim, but to make it look better.

Molded caps can have that same trip, put on the same way, with the same insert, and still leak. It all depends on what is done before the trim is applied.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That just means the mfg didn't seal up UNDER the trim. That vinyl insert is not meant to weatherproof the trim, but to make it look better.

Molded caps can have that same trip, put on the same way, with the same insert, and still leak. It all depends on what is done before the trim is applied.
Very true! However, my current trailer front cap does not have any forward facing seams subject to direct air/water assault when running through a rainstorm going down the highway at 60mph. Having said that, after my experience, I check the rest of the seams on a more regular basis on this coach. Oh yeah - roof gets examined every 6 months or after any long trip.

"Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"

Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHouse View Post
The front cap looks nice but does a a bit more weight if you are on the limit.
Any ideas on what the front cap weight is? How much does it add to the total weight of the camper, specifically a EverGreen Sun Valley S318BHS?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #25

I've picked up one for a Wildcat fifth wheel before. It was awkward but not heavy. The cap was maybe 100-200 lbs. It was very very light for it's size. It's just fiberglass with a few thin pieces of wood for reinforcement.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I've picked up one for a Wildcat fifth wheel before. It was awkward but not heavy. The cap was maybe 100-200 lbs. It was very very light for it's size. It's just fiberglass with a few thin pieces of wood for reinforcement.
Thanks for the info!