Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #15

The warning is standard and is a precaution.
I dump with the rinser running. When empty, I close the valve and set my timer ap for 5 minutes, and STAY THERE. It comes clear after doing this twice.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #16

Set up, dump while running flusher, sounds good, then twice at 5 min each, hope i'm not in line behind you to dump !!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

Filling Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Set up, dump while running flusher, sounds good, then twice at 5 min each, hope i'm not in line behind you to dump !!!

My 5 minute timer works for my 47 gallon black tank size at average water flow volume. I adjust time down for higher water flow rate.
Time your flusher as it fills to 3/4 full.
We are fulltimers and almost always have FHU, but if at a dump station the weekend crowd is long gone when we dump.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My 5 minute timer works for my 47 gallon black tank size at average water flow volume. I adjust time down for higher water flow rate.
Time your flusher as it fills to 3/4 full.
We are fulltimers and almost always have FHU, but if at a dump station the weekend crowd is long gone when we dump.
Yup - You can rush and do a half assed job and pay for it later or take your time and do it right.

I am with Dave, we generally have full hook ups and try to avoid busy times at the dump station. I do not mind if a person ahead of me takes their time as long as they are moving or doing something. I am not patient when you see someone hook up, pull the valves and then stand there for 10 minutes texting. And then start digging out or connecting the tank flush. Or go back and check the oil!

I hope to be first in line but go prepared to be patient.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

If someone is behind me at the dump station, i hook up the flusher ( if available ) dump black first, then grey, unhook and finish the final flushing at home. But i have a few acres out in the boonies and what ever remnants that are left, i at least know who's they are !
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #20

If we are traveling to another RV site, especially one that has site hookups, I don't dwell too much at the dump station. Quick black dump, quick grey dump, 2 minute flush & dump then I put about 5 gallons in the black tank and call it good. There will be plenty of time to flush thoroughly at the next RV site. I also have a sewer "cleanout" right next to where I park our 5th wheel......
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #21

I like most people just stand on the lever. I only dump when the 3/4 line is hit and I fill the rest of the way with water.

If I have less than what I need to dump like when leaving the site, I fill it up and the grey tank to flush the sewer hose
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #22

When leaving a campsite after a few days, I check the levels in my tanks prior to getting to the dump station. While waiting in line, if there is one, I get prepared. I have my storage compartment open and gloves and hoses ready.
Once it is my turn, I connect the black tank flush and connect the sewer hose, open the black tank drain valve and start the water to the flush valve. I let the flush run for a few minutes with the drain valve partially open, then open the grey, let that drain while the black is filling some with the water running.
Once the grey is mostly empty, I open the black fully to get the rest out of it then flush the sewer hose with the rest from the grey tank.
ave not had any issues with the tanks in the 3 years I have had the trailer.
Paddyboy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #23

just one more note on backfilling the black tank--

My outdoor kitchen sink is just about the same height as the toilet. if the tank gets full and starts coming into the base of the toilet my sink will start backing up...not pretty the first time I figured this out. Who would have thought the sink drain would be piped to the black tank.....

On the positive side, I can use the outdoor sink to fill my black tank before dumping. It works great. Just turn on both faucets and let it run for 15ish minutes.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #24

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do campgrounds have spots with sewage connections, or do you always have to go to a separate dump station to empty your tanks?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #25

depends on where you go.

I personally found that most state parks have 1 or 2 dumping spots.

whereas private resorts have many sites with full hookups.

I have yet to go somewhere where I don't have a sewer hookup.

I am planning a long trip out west so I am sure I will run into a no sewer site eventually....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #26

Thanks. So if it says FULL hookups that usually means everything. Good to know.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #27

yes

at least water, sewer, electricity either 30 or 50amp maybe cable and wifi

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #28

Never Boondocked, But 30 Amp. Ele. and Water, a must at parks, and if we can catch the morning news on the TV would be nice !

As far as the evening , a cooler of beer and the grill going, I'm happier than a P.I.S.

: dance:

Tags
tank