Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #1

Filling fresh water

When i dry camp, i usually bring my 6 gallon igloo water container with me to gravity fill the fresh water as it runs out. The problem is, that container is very heavy, im not getting any younger, and it takes awhile to fill that way. Is there any other way to fill the fresh water ehile dry camping out of this jug i dont realize? I thought the manual said there was a way using a hose and the water pump but i dont understand it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

Mirage: It might be wise to drain into a one gallon container and use that to fill as needed. Much easier to handle and leads to lot less stress on the body

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

I bought a small 12V pump, 250 GPH, from Harbor Freight, Two pieces of drinking water hose, tapped into a 12V power supply (cig lighter on dash if necessary), added an on/off switch and let the pump suck the water jug empty. Works great!!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

I use the onboard pump to draw the water in thru the city water inlet. No wiring, switches or pumps to buy or hook up.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

I've used a small pond pump to transfer water from a 5 gallon container. Since I was usually doing this at state parks, using a pump that ran off of 120 volts wasn't a problem. Another option would to be use a bilge pump that can operate off a 12 volt battery. Both solutions are inexpensive and easy to do. I just keep the pond pumb and vinyl tubing in the water container.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #6

Lynnmor-
Do you have a schematic for that amazing connection?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #7

I put a 7 gallon aquatainer in the back of my Jeep then run a water hose from the aquatainer to the fill valve. As long as the hose is the right length and the aquatainer is higher than the fill valve, it works just fine. Sometimes gravity is your friend.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcleister View Post
Lynnmor-
Do you have a schematic for that amazing connection?
I don't have a print. If you have a "siphon" hose for winterizing, just tee it into the city line coming in. Remove the check valve in the inlet and add a new one after the tee. The chrome valve at the bottom leads to the tank and is orginal to the trailer. Just trace the lines in the photo. The added long hoses and the accumulator just makes the photo more difficult to follow, but those parts are only for noise control.

Outside, I modified a Hydroller by adding a dip tube. No lifting, no carrying. Just connect a short garden hose.

Tons of information here:
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Put the 6 gallon jug on a platform higher than the fill. This could be stacked chairs, roof of toad, or hung on side of RV. (Use a tree or flip a loop of rope over something on roof.) Us a section of potable water hose and push end into the jug, filling the hose with water. Insert all the hose into the jug, then put finger over end and pull hose out of jug and insert into the tank fill, only uncovering hose end when near opening. Weight of water in hose will flow out, siphoning the rest of the water from the jug. No pumps, sucking, etc.

This also works: Siphon Pump - Save on this Siphon Pump at Harbor Freight
Just don't use it first on gasoline!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #10

I vote for the 12v pump. While never using one I can attest to lifting those blue 7gal jugs. I used to do it 3x when we dry camped and only had a 36gal fresh water tank. Now we have a 54 gal tank there's no need for more refilling. Told the wife if I ever have to again I will get a pump.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #11

Hope you have a generator. If so, here is what I do.

Water pump from Home Depot. 4' drinking water hose cut on one end at a 45 degree angle. (This feeds water into the tank better). A 17 gallon tote. Extension cord.

Ok - water pump and water go into the 17 gallon tote. Fill the tote with water. Put the the connect hose from the water pump into the fresh water fill. Plug in the pump and this will fill your fresh water tank.

The pump can pump uphill approx. 8'.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Hope you have a generator. If so, here is what I do.

Water pump from Home Depot. 4' drinking water hose cut on one end at a 45 degree angle. (This feeds water into the tank better). A 17 gallon tote. Extension cord.

Ok - water pump and water go into the 17 gallon tote. Fill the tote with water. Put the the connect hose from the water pump into the fresh water fill. Plug in the pump and this will fill your fresh water tank.

The pump can pump uphill approx. 8'.
Most trailers already have a pump, pump switch and a battery. Why on Earth would anyone buy and transport another system? Look again at my photos. All I had to buy was a tee and a check valve. If you add a wheeled tank, like the Hydroller shown, there is no lifting. The OP was looking for a system that didn't require lifting. The tank is filled via the water supply line. Another beneifit is that the winterizing hose is now sealed preventing dirt from entering.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #13

The jayco swift manual says i can put the other end of the drinking water hose in my container of fresh water and turn on the water pump until the fresh water tank is full. I thought i tried this and nothing happened, ill have to check again.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirageags View Post
The jayco swift manual says i can put the other end of the drinking water hose in my container of fresh water and turn on the water pump until the fresh water tank is full. I thought i tried this and nothing happened, ill have to check again.
The valves need to be in the correct position.