Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Filling water

Sucks having this as my first post. Been lurking for awhile though.
Been searching for an answer for the last 2hours.

Taking the Mallard (19N) out tomorrow after work for a dry run. Problem is I can't seem to fill the fresh water tank. Just keeps coming out a hose underneath (overflow?) and also right out where i'm trying to fill it. I found one valve handle under the sink next to the water pump that doesn't seem to matter which way it is turned.
I have the hotwater plug off and the two plugs under the trailer off (not sure what these are for).

I'm I missing another valve under the sink? Owner manual is no help at all.
Must be missing something simple but don't know what.
*previous owner always used hookups. All tanks are empty for the winter.
First travel trailer. Complete novice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds to me like the drain valve for the water tank is open. Look around your water tank , there should be a valve for draining it, close it and see what happens.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

It sounds like you have two separate issues going on. Water leaking underneath and water coming out of the fill.

You should have a low water drain. it is usually located in the water compartment make sure it is closed. I assume you can't see where it's leaking from.

On the fill side you will have the option of city water or tank fill. Make sure that valve is in the fill position. It may be partially shut. Some one else may have another idea.

Good luck with the problem.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like the low point drain could be open. Follow where the water is coming from and you should find a valve.

The valve under your sink may be a bypass valve for water heater to use when winterizing. (You don't want antifreeze in hw tank.)

These are only guesses. Hard to know without having hands on.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Assuming no damage and the water pump is off -- there are only two places the fresh water tank would drain while filling. 1)overflow tube(s) 2)fresh water tank drain valve(s) are open

Dumb question, is the fresh water tank full already? If so then #1 would apply. You can tell by turning on on demand water pump and see water coming out the faucet.

Also, don't drink the water from the tank until you sanitize the tank and plumbing
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFTIC View Post
Sucks having this as my first post. Been lurking for awhile though.
Been searching for an answer for the last 2hours.

Taking the Mallard (19N) out tomorrow after work for a dry run.
I have the hotwater plug off and the two plugs under the trailer off (not sure what these are for).
I had a Weekender TT for a few years the fresh water tank didn't have a valve on the drain just a plug or cap. Your Mallard could be the same way. The two plugs you have off are the low point drains for the hot and cold water lines.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

Hmmmm...to dark/late to go look.

I did not know there is overflow tube and also drain valve separate. Guess i'll have to climb under the trailer tomorrow and look for another drain valve.

*tank is not full. I tried to fill it and at one time turned on the pump. Lots of air and very little water gurgle. Only air out of the faucet. When I went out and checked the lines, water was comping out of the 2 drain lines (hot and cold low point drains?) and also hot water drain.

Thanks everyone, I'll update when i know''

*edit, thanks boone. I see the hose it's leaking from and it looks threaded. Don't see a cap anywhere for it though. I assumed it was supposed to be open as an overflow...maybe not.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:05 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tank overflow should be an unthreaded tube. Although, on my Avion 5er the tank fill is behind a lockable door. The tank overflow is there also, when the tank is full it will spit water out the overfill not under the trailer.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #9

If you have a friend familiar with RV's, ask them to go over the systems with you. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #10

LOL, that was the plan. Everyone else is busier than me now.

Went out and maybe figured a few things out.
Things I know- the 2 low point drain hoses, hot water drain, only valve in there is from the hot water heater--either sends cold water to both faucets (when not in use) or hot to one and cold to the other when using.

Only other hose under the trailer is

I'm pretty sure that is the fresh water drain with missing cap.

The real question now is after that is capped and i start filling the tank, how do i know when the tank is full? Now i'm thinking it will start spraying out where i'm filling it as there will be nowhere for it to go.

I guess no water on this trip, but all packed and ready to leave tonight come hell or high water
Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Enjoy your get away. Love Washington, my parents lived in Quincy for about 20 years. Still have nephews in Spokane.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFTIC View Post
LOL, that was the plan. Everyone else is busier than me now.

Went out and maybe figured a few things out.
Things I know- the 2 low point drain hoses, hot water drain, only valve in there is from the hot water heater--either sends cold water to both faucets (when not in use) or hot to one and cold to the other when using.

Only other hose under the trailer is

I'm pretty sure that is the fresh water drain with missing cap.

The real question now is after that is capped and i start filling the tank, how do i know when the tank is full? Now i'm thinking it will start spraying out where i'm filling it as there will be nowhere for it to go.

I guess no water on this trip, but all packed and ready to leave tonight come hell or high water
This is the cap mine uses Flair-It 16860 Plastic Cap Fitting, 0.5" Size Flair-It http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H602C8/..._6J45ub16SA7PX
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #13

First, our rv's are not related, but here is something to look at... As far as filling, I have to use a spray nozzle on the hose to force water down the fill line. Yes I have checked the hoses, everything is fine, but the fill is just a few inches above the tank. If you just use a hose, it will gurgle out more than you get in... (vent is new and working) Our tank is under the bed so I just watch it to get the amount in it I want. You can see through the side with a flash light... Worth a try....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #14

Funny you posted this, When I got my tt back from camping world in lakewood, I couldnt fill my tank either, realized they took the cap off the drain valve but never told me. I found it in a drawer in the kitchen.....

I guess they assumed a newbie would know this or that I had a pdi which they never gave me...

oh well.... lesson learned

Tags
water