Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Finally got some time away from work. Headed to Fort Wilderness- Disney

First nice long trip in 2 years. Made it to Ft Wilderness today. Left Maryland on Sat and stopped over for 2 nights at Point South, Sc. KOA was ok. Small place, very clean, quiet, and very friendly. Seemed to be more of a lay over type of place and not a destination. JMO.

Trip was good until I crossed into Florida. That’s when it got interesting. Some of Florida native drivers sure are an abrupt bunch. Have been cut off outright half a dozen times. Several white knuckle close calls and I mean close. Wonder if they realize we cannot stop on a dime?? Thank god for anti lock brakes.

I-95 traffic through Virginia was a nightmare. Spent better part of 3 1/2 hours in stop and go traffic. Mostly stopped. Lol...

Routed around Jacksonville on 295. That was a blessing not to go through the Jax interchange. I4 was another cluster through Orlando. Haven’t been down this way in 15 years and they are still working on it. Yep.. hasn’t changed!!!

Gonna hangout all week then head back and lay over in Rocky Mount, NC. Before heading back to Md.

Sure wish I knew a way to avoid I4 on the return. Not looking forward to that or the Virginia stretch of I95 again but it is the most direct and I want to spend as much time chocked as I can.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

Turnpike to 75 to 10 to 95. 528 to 95. Several options, just depends how bad you want to avoid 4.
Fl2GaScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #3

If going back is anything like coming down. Real bad...
Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #4

BTW, Thank you
Old 06-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #5

Well, let's see, summer, Florida (along the coast), Disney....I don't think I went to Disney more than 5x the last 10 years we lived there... Used to be able to plan trips around major school holidays and have small crowds, now folks will pull their kids out of school for a week to go to Disney.
Fl2GaScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #6

I've only seen photos and videos of the place. A fort and wilderness it ain't.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #7

For sure. Other than having log cabin style buildings and some other theme architectural items there’s no fort or Wilderness here. Sites are tree studded and provide good shade. I will say that they go out of their way to accommodate visitors. You never have to get out of your vehicle when arriving. They are prepared and very welcoming. Place is spotless and sites are padded and almost perfectly level. All sites that I’ve seen so far are back in only but they have designed it so even the most amateur can put the rig right in.
I had an issue with my cable connection which turned out to be an issue with the service and my model of television. I called and a technician was here in 5 minutes. End result was that they provided at no cost 2 cable receivers that solved the issue. Golf carts can be rented by day or week to make getting around easy, and shuttle bus service runs constant from about 7 until midnight. My teenagers can come and go without Dad as a constant taxi service.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:27 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickho View Post
First nice long trip in 2 years. Made it to Ft Wilderness today. Left Maryland on Sat and stopped over for 2 nights at Point South, Sc. KOA was ok. Small place, very clean, quiet, and very friendly. Seemed to be more of a lay over type of place and not a destination. JMO.

Trip was good until I crossed into Florida. That’s when it got interesting. Some of Florida native drivers sure are an abrupt bunch. Have been cut off outright half a dozen times. Several white knuckle close calls and I mean close. Wonder if they realize we cannot stop on a dime?? Thank god for anti lock brakes.

I-95 traffic through Virginia was a nightmare. Spent better part of 3 1/2 hours in stop and go traffic. Mostly stopped. Lol...

Routed around Jacksonville on 295. That was a blessing not to go through the Jax interchange. I4 was another cluster through Orlando. Haven’t been down this way in 15 years and they are still working on it. Yep.. hasn’t changed!!!

Gonna hangout all week then head back and lay over in Rocky Mount, NC. Before heading back to Md.

Sure wish I knew a way to avoid I4 on the return. Not looking forward to that or the Virginia stretch of I95 again but it is the most direct and I want to spend as much time chocked as I can.
It's a better than average chance that the drivers cutting you off are not native Floridians since we are " blessed" with arguably the worst drivers in the country, attracted to move here from all over the country.

This in no way applies that native Florida drivers are any better drivers than others, it's just that there aren't as many native Floridians as there are transplants. They are a much smaller percentage. (Full disclosure, I'm a transplant myself, from PA originally)

Travel tip, Try taking 417 back to Sanford and you can avoid the I-4 zombie apocalypse thru Orlando. 417 is a toll road, about 20 minutes longer, and WAY less stressful than I-4. Several tolls on 417, but still a much better option.

Say hello to the Rat for me. Tell him I'm coming back for Fourth of July week to bring him some more cheddar (see what I did right there?).... Stupid Rat. [emoji4]

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #9

Lol, thank you
Old 06-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

hope you have a great time in Disney. Where did you have issues on I95? I'm heading for Williamsburg VA in about 10 days. I usually avoid the DC area by taking 301 and not merging on to 95 until near Kings Dominion. Looking to avoid issues if possible.

Have a great time visiting Mickey!
DennisB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

Thanks... as far as Virginia... You name it. It started early just outside of DC and I had hoped once we cleared the city congestion areas we would be good but no such luck. We had times when traffic flowed great but then out of nowhere it dropped to almost nothing. Never saw any accidents. The bulk of the jamming was north of Kings Dominion. Because it was Saturday I assumed but assumed wrong that traffic would move well. I as well should have shot down 301. Anymore these days it seems I-95 through DC and Virginia should be avoided unless traveling at night.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Take 429 and you miss Orlando's I4. It is a toll road but well worth it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #13

Thanks for the traffic update. DC is always a mess no matter how they improve the roads the traffic just gets worse.
Safe travels home.
DennisB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #14

Have a great vacation. Disney sets the bar when it comes to service.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote