Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Finally upgraded thermostat

I have been living with an analog thermostat for 2 and a half years now. As many of you know, this type of thermostat has a huge temperature variant (set it to 70 and the heater doesn't kick on until the temp drops to 60).

The upgrade was easy- remove the old thermostat and attach the new digital thermostat. Only 2 wires control the whole thing! Now, the temperature in my travel trailer only varies by 4 degrees.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

The digital is differently better and congrats on the upgrade. But, if your old one was varying by 10 degrees it just wasn't working correctly. Some of them have a screw inside you can adjust to change that but, it's just as possible that is was shot.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

What digital thermostat did you get and where? I keep forgetting that's one upgrade I want to do. Just two wires and thats it?? Can I get the digital thermostat at say...Lowes? or is it Rv specific?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

I did get it at Lowes! Can't remember the brand, however. It did cost around 20 dollars, and got it primarily for its small size.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Pics?
paullonning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
T stat

Be careful on that as that might work on newer ac but if u have the oldtype (like i do) they say the only 1 is a hunter 42999 its for a 6 wiree sys.the old type has the slide sw &3 sw ac-furnace 2 speed fan & auto - on fan. found all this out on here & the other 1 rv net
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymillions View Post
What digital thermostat did you get and where? I keep forgetting that's one upgrade I want to do. Just two wires and thats it?? Can I get the digital thermostat at say...Lowes? or is it Rv specific?
I haven't completed it yet, but I suspect my original thermostat is a Coleman Mach analog thermostat (identified through picture comparisons) and I ordered a direct replacement Coleman Mach digital thermostat.

If I have this correct, the original part number was something like 7330-6335 or AP7862 and the newer digital one is 8330-3362.

It appears to be a wire-for-wire replacement. Same number, same color wire assignments, only the newer thermostat is digital.

The hysteresis on the analog thermostat (NEW) was almost 10 degrees from time it cut on to time it cut off, very sloppy - about 5 degrees plus/minus of the setting. I'm hoping the digital version of the thermostat is much less.

-Tom-
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

Oops! I have a remote control for a thermostat.....! Anybody know how I'd find wires to run a digital wall thermostat ?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Uh, folks? I suspect that the OP's thermostat was for heating only.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #10

Did that 2 yrs ago.Mine is a Hunter bought at Wal-Mart.I like it much better,which I would had did it from the start.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Uh, folks? I suspect that the OP's thermostat was for heating only.
our heater is run thru our a/c unit control. just by way of a remote control on the wall.
My concern comes due to the remote could be worn out, and may need to replace it.... then how to go about it?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
when u say remote on wall do u mean a reg t stat 1 sw cool-heat 1 sw 2 sp fan 1sw auto-on fan slide sw for temp. if this is what u have then get the hunter 42999 & i'll send u the link on how to wire it got mine on amazon
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

this thread inspired me. i literally JUST got done installing my new t-stat. i just picked up the cheapest hunter at lowes, just so happened to be programmable too, for $25 then off to the shack for a micro toggle switch for $3.99. Wiring was pretty simple short of big hands + TINY wires!!! unfortunatly either my switch was defective or i broke it trying to manipulate the tangs for more room for the wire. so until i get a replacement toggle I am stuck on low. that being said it only took me about an hr total including all of the switch work...

thanks for the idea
hawk232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i just added a sw up high above stat &dbl wired the g connection
have the brn surface mnt s avail on amazon