Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

Finding a reputable dealer with good service in central California.

Hi Everyone,
Newbie here from central California. I just signed up yesterday and have already found a wealth of information. My wife and I are now about 1/2 dozen years from retirement and have decided to buy a Travel Trailer we want to go 23 ft max. We have a 3/4 ton 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD to pull it. We are trying to do all of our homework before we buy. I have a few questions that have probably already been covered but ill ask any way.

1. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer in central California? Every dealer I have looked at online at least 1/2 of there reviews are terrible. It seems to be a common thread that once you sign the paperwork the customer service stops there. Most don't seem to back the product they sell.

2.What are the top products? I am leaning towards Jayco, Keystone, Coachman, Lance. Does anyone else have advice on this.

3. New or Used? What to look at or for with either of these. A buddy of mine told me not to go with anything over 5 years old.

That's where we are at right now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fireslayer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireslayer View Post
1. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer in central California? Every dealer I have looked at online at least 1/2 of there reviews are terrible. It seems to be a common thread that once you sign the paperwork the customer service stops there. Most don't seem to back the product they sell.
Yep. Differentiate the sales reviews from the service reviews - thats important. I'd pick a make/model and then ask for a dealer recommendation.

Quote:
2.What are the top products? I am leaning towards Jayco, Keystone, Coachman, Lance. Does anyone else have advice on this.
Top products how? Top product in Sales - Keystone. Top product in customer service, pretty much anything but Keystone.

My advice: Look for a manufacturer that will do direct support. Look for one with more than a 12-month warranty. Jayco fits that bill.

You're highly dependent upon your local dealer for service, so choose carefully.

What type of RV are you looking at? And price range?

Quote:
3. New or Used? What to look at or for with either of these. A buddy of mine told me not to go with anything over 5 years old.
Personally, I think the best deals are used, buy-from owner, kept covered / garage kept. Most used RVs will be treated like consumer products - not maintained, so you need to learn how to spot a good one and you'll need to walk away from the first 5-10 that you look at until you learn.

New RVs, most, have issues. A used RV is a good opportunity to avoid the depreciation hit and have someone else sort out the issues. You need to be technical and not afraid to get under it and inspect everything. You also need to not be in a hurry.

I've had great luck with motorhomes more than 5 years old, but they do go through a "get sorted" period. They're also in better shape after I own them than when I bought them, but they cost me very little to own compared to depreciation of new...

I have a new Keystone now. Still under warranty. Only major issue has been a new roof, but lots of little stuff, just like used...

Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're looking at travel trailers, look at Outdoors RV. There's a dealer in Sac and Fairfield.
ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing
Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #4

questions

you have got some good ones. to me the most important is the dealer.

you have to sort that out, you'll find good and bad reviews no matter

what the dealer. You can usually tell the condition of any trailer by

the way its kept inside and out. also let your nose guide you.

check you tube, some good videos on judging a used trailer.

so visit several dealers and get a flavor of what is going on.

Jim
Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice everyone

Tags
california, dealer, service