Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Question Finishing trailer redo..insulation, Styrofoam board,etc?

Hello all!
Been working on my 99 Nomad TT since March and finally put the last new piece of wood in. Major wood rot in the corner that spread very far from leaky window.
Anyway, all I have left is putting in the tongue and groove flooring, (had to special order it..small town) and, the insulation and foam board in.
I have a few questions..
1#The trailer has 1/4 inch Styrofoam board covered in paper and then the insulation behind this. I can not find 1/4" piece anywhere in this small town, I checked Lowes and Home depot and ask at another hardware store. All that is offered is 1/4" board that is "fanfolded". Its almost 50.00 and is about 50' in length...but I only need about 12ft of this stuff. :( Should I buy this or just go with the silver backed 1' board they also offer? I know there will be a difference, but I am fulltime and won't use that much.
#2 Insulation..again, I need very little, but these rolls are 30 ft in length and come in various R rated degrees. Which one should I choose? they are all covered in paper, but the insulation in my trailer is not. Doesn't it have to breath?
3# Should I buy a water proof sealer and paint on the boards,(joists and wall 2x2's to help extend the life and if so, what type?
I have asked these questions on various FB pages, but no one seems to ever answer.
I need advice Please!! I am so close to being done and am tired of of this little (big, ugly) project and need to wrap it up.

Thanks!
I am sure I will have more questions when I start putting it all back together, but don't want to overwhelm anyone. LOL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:14 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Have you considered just using 1-1/2 foam board. Instead of the the fiberglass standard insulation to fill the void. That s what I had done on previous trailers I had done. And as for painting the 2 x 2's I don't think it can hurt but it may not be needed as long as everything is sealed up tight. I had used great stuff to seal in the foam board where I had gaps.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Thanks..I am not sure how this would work considering the rest has the 1/4 " styrofoam and once I put back the aluminum it would not be even.
I am disappointed that I have not been able to elicit any replies here or FB RV pages. Doesn't help this newbie
Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
This can be bought in a variety of thicknesses and you may need to use a combination of them to reach the overall desired thickness.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

I am also well, was just doing some repairs but um,... turned in to a full blown remodel. Anyhow, I am/have removed the insulation and used waterproofing and spray foam to the inside sheeting then placed the orig insulation back along with 1/2" mylar backed foam board. It is only $12 for a 4x8 sheet. It really doesn't have a huge R factor but will help and also helps with outside noise.
There is plenty of room to do this in mine as long as you trim the spray foam... Good luck and happy trails!
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

Thanks, all the foam and insulation from the repair was damaged. I am just trying to get the same stuff. I have already put in months and a lot of time and feel that spraying will just be another added cost. I am fulltime in my trailer and do not have the tools. It is sitting out in the weather, so I have to do things when its not raining or too hot..etc. I think I would have to buy all the tools to spray into. I think I will just go buy 1' foam board and the insulation at Lowes..I can't seem to find 1/4" Thanks for input though
Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

I have had to replace some as well. I'm amazed at the items I have been finding are either not done correctly or half-as...d But yea, Lowe's, Home Depot, and others have all that you may need as far as that goes.
While I'm here, Do you know how to go about changing locations of inlets on the holding tanks? ...
Thanks