Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

First camping trip this weekend and really excited

We are going on our first camping trip this weekend,well were not first time camper's we did have a pop-up but had to give rid of it because of money problem's,but this is our first time camping in our new TT.I have been getting everything ready while my husband is at work.I hope i haven't forgotten anything.The heat here was really getting to me so i had to come inside to cool down.

I'm hoping the only thing that we have to do is get the cooler's ready for the cold stuff,my husband forgot to put on the gas last night for our fridgerator to get cold,he is so forgetful sometime's.But i do have a question:

I went and turned on the gas and that has been a few hour's now and our fridge is still not cold,what could be the problem???
campingmom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingmom5 View Post
We are going on our first camping trip this weekend,well were not first time camper's we did have a pop-up but had to give rid of it because of money problem's,but this is our first time camping in our new TT.I have been getting everything ready while my husband is at work.I hope i haven't forgotten anything.The heat here was really getting to me so i had to come inside to cool down.

I'm hoping the only thing that we have to do is get the cooler's ready for the cold stuff,my husband forgot to put on the gas last night for our fridgerator to get cold,he is so forgetful sometime's.But i do have a question:

I went and turned on the gas and that has been a few hour's now and our fridge is still not cold,what could be the problem???
Assuming your fridge is turned on (don't ask how I know), it may take 24 hours or more for it to get cold. Many people load it with cold food and frozen items and hit the road. The food will cool the fridge until the fridge is able to cool the food.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Thank's for the suggestion i may have to try that.I'm hoping it will be cold by tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

I usually turn ours on the day before we pack food so that it's cold enough not to spoil anything. Of course when trailer is plugged in to electric and breaker is on, fridge runs on electric. I unplug it and she automatically switches to gas until electric power is restored. Yours may operate a bit different. They use hardly any gas, local RV dealer mechanic said he ran a rv fridge for 2 months in his garage off of a single 30 lb tank of gas. That's pretty good if you ask me!

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It's not forgetful - it's "judicious use of our brain cells" and having too much else to think about...

Have a ball - be flexible and KNOW some things may not work out at first, but be patient and ENJOY it !!!!

1) is the rv fairly level ?
2) make sure the propane is on and the fridge is on
3) nothing flat on the shelves to stop the flow from moving down the box ?
4) We usually have a bunch of the frozen gel packs to dump in there to help it cool down and buy a bag of SONIC crushed ice...
(the bag of Sonic ice helps cook it down and works GREAT in Jack and cokes when you get there!)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
... and works GREAT in Jack and cokes when you get there!)
+1

Sign me up!

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure which of those is the PRIMARY reason we get that type of ice

(Yes I am he shakes his head Yes, while saying No )

Oh, one other thing - don't you also need battery power to start up the fridges propane ?

Hmmm, Will the propane flow without battery power ??
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Accept the fact that you will probably miss one or two or more other items in your camping weekend. The key is relax and enjoy your time together and away. You'll get by ok with what you do have. Have a great weekend!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

Well we had a great camping trip, our fridge didn't get cold until the 2nd day of our camping.I'm glad it started getting cold but i wish it would have gotten cold the day before,oh well atleast it did get cold and it didn't damper on my camping trip.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #10

Glad you had a good time. Check the temp setting. You may not have had it cold enough. I have 5 settings on my frig and keep it at 3 and stays at 39 to 40 24/7

Happy Camping
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #11

Key words being "Great camping trip". Glad to hear. Keep on camping!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

Glad you had a fun trip. Next time turn on the fridge a couple days before and put some frozen water bottles in there. I save and freeze those 2qt rectangle shaped bottles that juices come in. That shaped bottle fits the bottom fridge door shelf. I reuse them for milk too.
Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #13

Thank's on the suggestion on getting the fridgerator cold.I think my husband said something about just plugging it up with an extension cord to the TT to get it cold.Now for a little review on our camping tripso just bear with me, first time writing a review on a camping trip:

Well i started getting stuff ready all day on Friday and it was a scorcher outside i had to stop a few time's to rest because i felt like i was going to faint.But i got everything done just in time for when hubby got home,all i had to do is get the cooler's ready.So when my usband got home he took a fast shower then we drove to the back of the house to hook up the TT we had no problem's what so ever hooking it up,we bought those line up stick's that you put on the ball joint of the hitch and the flat part of the TT's hitch,i'll tell you those stick's are a life saver.

Once the TT was hooked up we were on our way to Hanna Park.We didn't have to go far, Hanna Park is only like 20 minute's from our house(hubby didn't want to go to far for our first time out in the TT).Now we got there signed in and went to our campsite,it was a really good size spot we were right next the lake,hubby like that alot so he could go fishing.My husband's brother met us there to help set everything up.Once eveything was set up we went fishing,my husband ended up catching a few catfish.After we fished for a while we went back to the campsite and watched a movie to get our boy's settled down to go to bed.

We all woke up early had breakfast and waited for my brother in law and his girlfriend and her kid's to get there so we could start our fun filled day .When they finally got there we all went fishing didn't really catch anything that day.The kid's were getting really hot and bored so we decided to take them to the beach to get some of there energy out.As we got to the beach it was crowded but we found a spot and the kid's couldn't wait to get in the water.But they couldn't go far because they had been having some bad rip current's and it was during high tide.My husband and his brother could hardly stand in the water because the wave's would knock them down.So we just stayed out there for about 20 minute's and then headed back to the lake were they had a playground and a little splash park for kid's.

The boy's,my husband,and brother in law went in while me and my brother in law's girlfriend sat at a picnic table and chatted and watched the boy's and the guy's play.Then it came time to head back for dinner,we had hamburger's for the kid's and us adult's had lemon pepper chicken that i marinated over night with mash potatoe's and mac-n-cheese,YUM YUM.After dinner the kid's wanted to go feed the duck's with the old bread that my brother in law brought.As they went to do that i cleaned up the mess we made from dinner.When they came back i was done and the kid's wanted to start a fire even though it was hot outside.The kid's stayed outside for a little bit then decided to come in the TT to watch a movie.

My husband got them settled in with a movie and us adult's stayed out and chatted by the fire.We stayed out there for a couple of hour's then it was time for my brother in law and his girlfriend had to go and put her kid's to sleep.The next morning we all slept in a little then we got up and started to pack everything up to head home,and no problem's there either.

Pros-Great size campsite,splash park,beach

Cons-Mosquitoes,Very hot (didn't mention mosquitoes because it didn't damper on our camping trip.)

Well i hope you have enjoyed my review and we plan on going on another one in a week,so if you enjoyed this one i'll write one for that trip as well.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #14

Thanks for writing the review on your first camping weekend. DW and I keep a journal in the MH and every day that we are in it one of us makes and entry on the day's highlights. Will be good memories. Since it seems you enjoy writing, you might consider an on going journal in your TT. Have a great camping summer!

Tags
camping