Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #15

Ditto on what Tireman said about ST tires. 65mph is generally TOPS for those. I got a blowout at 70mph when we first got our used Travel Trailer. Then did some research and found out about the speed limitation. About the only thing I might add is you might want to consider an Emergency Roadside Assistance plan. Good Sam has them, as does Coach Net and AAA. Also others out there. They can help you out with trailer specific stuff if you aren't set up to do it yourself. Have a great trip!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I carry a Sears 150 PSI portable compressor. You may not need one that goes that high...
My thinking is that if you have a generator on your RV it's better to carry a standard compressor with a storage tank as they are better suited for high pressures and longer use. Down side it that they take more space to store.

If you can find a place to permanently mount it then all you have to do is turn it on and grab your hose.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Ditto on what Tireman said about ST tires. 65mph is generally TOPS for those. I got a blowout at 70mph when we first got our used Travel Trailer. Then did some research and found out about the speed limitation. About the only thing I might add is you might want to consider an Emergency Roadside Assistance plan. Good Sam has them, as does Coach Net and AAA. Also others out there. They can help you out with trailer specific stuff if you aren't set up to do it yourself. Have a great trip!
Yep, roadside assistance is great in the event of an emergency. I didn't want to pay the rates of AAA or Good Sam and wound up getting it for about $25 a year through my auto and TT insurance (Progressive). That being said, I had all I needed with me to swap out the bad tire for the spare and be back on the road quicker than if I had to wait for assistance. So, I didn't use it in this case.
If all you require is roadside assistance, consider your insurance company. It doesn't carry all the extras like campground discounts and that kind of thing, but it covers you for the real purpose.
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
Yep, roadside assistance is great in the event of an emergency. I didn't want to pay the rates of AAA or Good Sam and wound up getting it for about $25 a year through my auto and TT insurance (Progressive). That being said, I had all I needed with me to swap out the bad tire for the spare and be back on the road quicker than if I had to wait for assistance. So, I didn't use it in this case.
If all you require is roadside assistance, consider your insurance company. It doesn't carry all the extras like campground discounts and that kind of thing, but it covers you for the real purpose.
Yep, going the $25.00 insurance route is a good idea in some cases. That's about what my insurance company charges. Here's the rub. They charge that for EACH vehicle. I have three kids driving, the motor home, the truck, etc. 7 vehicles @ $25.00 a pop = $175.00 every 6 months, or $350.00/year for Roadside assistance. I guess I could gamble and try and figure out which vehicle would need it, but that probably wouldn't work. So, one roadside assistance plan, $99.00/year, all vehicles covered, all drivers covered, anywhere, anytime. Works for me, but may not work for someone else. Everyone needs to do the math and do what works best for them!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Do you believe in prayer??
I do! I pray to my dog, and get the same results as praying to anyone or anything else.

Actually, I get some love and attention from the dog, so I guess I can't say I don't get anything from it!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #20

My family and I are into the first leg of our longest trip yet. Going about 750 miles one way, doesn't seem far but we typically stay within 200 miles of home. Below are some notes thus far.

1. Have an air compressor of some sort. Due to added weight of extra supplies, the normal about of air I put in air bags wasn't sufficient, glad I have mine. Hopefully won't need for any other reason.

2. Depending on age of family, have more snacks and such than you think you need. My kids are 6, 3 and <1, and apparently starving

3. Set your own pace. I am just not comfortable going 70-80 towing my 28ft camper, takes longer and people on the road are just pricks, but oh well.

4. It will take much longer than you think. Again probably because of age, but holy bathroom breaks Batman.

Enjoy it, I won't lie I was very nervous about a much longer distance, but also length of time trip (2wks). So far it has gone great, we broke it into two days travel there, is great as I am exhausted after first leg.

Have a safe trip!
MNBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #21

I feel your apprehension, for my wife and I are soon to begin our first long distance (5,000+ miles) trip with our new 23' travel trailer. All we've done since we got it in May are trips under 300 miles, but they all went well. My Grand Cherokee 5.7 L Hemi is in getting a transmission service and transmission cooler installed as part of my prep. We are retired and all our kids are grown, so no little ones to worry about (been there, done that , so enjoy them while they're little and you can). [emoji106][emoji2] We will just take our time and pull at around 55-60 mph and enjoy getting back to Colorado, then Grand Teton and Yellowstone. We live in Florida. Have fun on your trip and keep us posted.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #22

parkerbill: You have a great situation and great game plan. Enjoy your trip. One that I intend to make in the next several years is the Grand Teton/Yellowstone area.
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #23

Get yourself a nice little bottle jack, some extra wood and practice a tire change on the trailer. And use that time (in the air) to grease the wheel bearings and adjust the drum brakes.
This would be a "must-do" before a long trip.

Also inspect the tread wear to make sure you don't have an alignment issue.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgundog View Post
...our TV is a 2014 Ram 3500 mega cab.

I appreciate your $0.02

Cheers!
Change the gear oil in the rear axle! Should be done every 30k miles when towing. I went with Mobil 1 synthetic 120 weight to deal with the high temps of sustained highway towing.

Also make sure the pinion seal is still good. They tend to start leaking pretty early.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote