Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

First Mishap !!

Ouch !!

We store our trailer at the back of our property if we don't plan on using it in the next few weeks. Yesterday, I was pulling it up to the driveway to start packing for the Canada Day weekend. I cut the corner too sharp and felt the left hand trailer wheel climbing up on a rock. I have no idea how the stabilizer cleared it.

So I backed up to take it off the rock and correct. By the time I was done, I got out of the truck to get a plan of action. No joke, the trailer was almost sideways on the driveway with the stabilizer against a rock and the back of the trailer half a foot off of a tree. In hindsight, I wish I had taken a picture. But, at the time, I was in absolutely no mood to think of that.

Too make matters worse, the rock in front of the stabilizer was covered by a really thorny shrub. I had to cut all the branches off the once side of the tree so I could back the trailer as close as I could. Then, I had to get under the thorns and remove the stabilizer which came apart in a numerous pieces.

Unhitch the trailer, and re-angle the truck, without the stabilizer, we barely cleared the rocks.

To add insult to injury, it took over an hour to re-assemble and re-install the stabilizer.

By the way, I don't know if the stabilizers were installed by KZ or by the dealer. But, what kind of a bonehead installs those with self-tapping screws?

Anyway, at the end of the day, we got through it with only a few small scratches on the back of the TT.

Not my idea of a fun Sunday afternoon.

MBirch is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #2

Number !
We have all done stupidity things , but why did you not clear the path to your storage area ???? Unless i missed something !

Old 06-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

The path was clear. I cut the corner at the end of the driveway to sharp and put the front of the trailer against a rock. When I backed up to get off the rock, I inadvertently arced the trailer so that it was backed up against a tree on the side of the driveway.

Essentially, the trailer was almost turned completely sideways.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Meh... we've al done carp. Last week I thought I was ready to drive the SUV out from under neath the trailer. Got out. DOUBLE CHECKED ALL THE CONNECTIONS even. For what ever reason I missed one chain. drove off and heard my wife yell and a bang. nothing shifted or moved so all was well. Why did I not take off both chains? why only one? who the hell knows.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
Ouch !!

We store our trailer at the back of our property if we don't plan on using it in the next few weeks. Yesterday, I was pulling it up to the driveway to start packing for the Canada Day weekend. I cut the corner too sharp and felt the left hand trailer wheel climbing up on a rock. I have no idea how the stabilizer cleared it.

So I backed up to take it off the rock and correct. By the time I was done, I got out of the truck to get a plan of action. No joke, the trailer was almost sideways on the driveway with the stabilizer against a rock and the back of the trailer half a foot off of a tree. In hindsight, I wish I had taken a picture. But, at the time, I was in absolutely no mood to think of that.

Too make matters worse, the rock in front of the stabilizer was covered by a really thorny shrub. I had to cut all the branches off the once side of the tree so I could back the trailer as close as I could. Then, I had to get under the thorns and remove the stabilizer which came apart in a numerous pieces.

Unhitch the trailer, and re-angle the truck, without the stabilizer, we barely cleared the rocks.

To add insult to injury, it took over an hour to re-assemble and re-install the stabilizer.

By the way, I don't know if the stabilizers were installed by KZ or by the dealer. But, what kind of a bonehead installs those with self-tapping screws?

Anyway, at the end of the day, we got through it with only a few small scratches on the back of the TT.

Not my idea of a fun Sunday afternoon.
Oh man... I feel for you. I cant imagine what would have happened if the TT actually flipped. That would have been damage to both vehicles ��

Sorry to hear this bro. Just take it easy and count your blessings.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Oh man... I feel for you. I cant imagine what would have happened if the TT actually flipped. That would have been damage to both vehicles 😨

Sorry to hear this bro. Just take it easy and count ur blessings.
We're actually kind of fortunate. The side driveway is on quite a grade. As I was disconnecting the TT to re-position the truck, my wife kept yelling ... "If you unhitch, it's going to roll down the hill !!" To which I replied, "just make sure all four wheels are well chocked !! If not, it's not going to roll down the hill. It's going to roll into that tree and that branch is going to go right through the back wall !!"

Oh well, we handled the challenge well ...
Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
you're gonna have a good laugh at that one in the long haul!
In the end, was there any damage? Or was it just an ego bruise..

Sounds to me like it's time to start clearing some rocks

I too wish you had a photo of this...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

Yep. Was packing up leaving track Sunday. It was hot so I got everything set to just drop trailer on hitch, pull the jack boards and go. Truck was lined up(I thought), plugged in, attached chains, w/d bars in place waiting, and I got in shower leaving the rest for my son to do while I enjoyed my shower before the road.

My son went to attach trailer to hook up the bars and saw the coupler was off too much to go over the ball. He didn't see the chains and moved the truck forward... No damage, but it cut my shower short and scared the crap out of him. I'm very glad he is careful and didn't have a "let me just smash this skinny pedal to the ground moment"!

We do everything the same pretty much every time. Don't know why I attached chains.
It happens.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

One time, back in our popup days, we got in very late. Wife and kids were staying home so I drove her car to work and left the truck with the popup hooked up. She decided to unhook it and go somewhere. She did everything except one thing. When she went to leave the popup kept following her. She finally called and I told her to unhook the two chains.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
One time, back in our popup days, we got in very late. Wife and kids were staying home so I drove her car to work and left the truck with the popup hooked up. She decided to unhook it and go somewhere. She did everything except one thing. When she went to leave the popup kept following her. She finally called and I told her to unhook the two chains.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote