Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
MBirch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tottenham, ON
Posts: 157
First Mishap !!

Ouch !!

We store our trailer at the back of our property if we don't plan on using it in the next few weeks. Yesterday, I was pulling it up to the driveway to start packing for the Canada Day weekend. I cut the corner too sharp and felt the left hand trailer wheel climbing up on a rock. I have no idea how the stabilizer cleared it.

So I backed up to take it off the rock and correct. By the time I was done, I got out of the truck to get a plan of action. No joke, the trailer was almost sideways on the driveway with the stabilizer against a rock and the back of the trailer half a foot off of a tree. In hindsight, I wish I had taken a picture. But, at the time, I was in absolutely no mood to think of that.

Too make matters worse, the rock in front of the stabilizer was covered by a really thorny shrub. I had to cut all the branches off the once side of the tree so I could back the trailer as close as I could. Then, I had to get under the thorns and remove the stabilizer which came apart in a numerous pieces.

Unhitch the trailer, and re-angle the truck, without the stabilizer, we barely cleared the rocks.

To add insult to injury, it took over an hour to re-assemble and re-install the stabilizer.

By the way, I don't know if the stabilizers were installed by KZ or by the dealer. But, what kind of a bonehead installs those with self-tapping screws?

Anyway, at the end of the day, we got through it with only a few small scratches on the back of the TT.

Not my idea of a fun Sunday afternoon.
__________________

__________________
_________________________________________
2014 Dodge Durango
2016 Vision V23BHS
MBirch is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rideandslide's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Waynesville Georgia
Posts: 1,272
Number !
We have all done stupidity things , but why did you not clear the path to your storage area ???? Unless i missed something !
__________________

__________________
Lovin Our Grey Wolf 26RL !! Jim & Pat
rideandslide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
MBirch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tottenham, ON
Posts: 157
The path was clear. I cut the corner at the end of the driveway to sharp and put the front of the trailer against a rock. When I backed up to get off the rock, I inadvertently arced the trailer so that it was backed up against a tree on the side of the driveway.

Essentially, the trailer was almost turned completely sideways.
__________________
_________________________________________
2014 Dodge Durango
2016 Vision V23BHS
MBirch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 166
Meh... we've al done carp. Last week I thought I was ready to drive the SUV out from under neath the trailer. Got out. DOUBLE CHECKED ALL THE CONNECTIONS even. For what ever reason I missed one chain. drove off and heard my wife yell and a bang. nothing shifted or moved so all was well. Why did I not take off both chains? why only one? who the hell knows.
__________________
2016 Viking 17FQ
2005 Chevy Trailblazer
2 Chihuahua's - yeah, were those people at the campground
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TheMatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
Ouch !!

We store our trailer at the back of our property if we don't plan on using it in the next few weeks. Yesterday, I was pulling it up to the driveway to start packing for the Canada Day weekend. I cut the corner too sharp and felt the left hand trailer wheel climbing up on a rock. I have no idea how the stabilizer cleared it.

So I backed up to take it off the rock and correct. By the time I was done, I got out of the truck to get a plan of action. No joke, the trailer was almost sideways on the driveway with the stabilizer against a rock and the back of the trailer half a foot off of a tree. In hindsight, I wish I had taken a picture. But, at the time, I was in absolutely no mood to think of that.

Too make matters worse, the rock in front of the stabilizer was covered by a really thorny shrub. I had to cut all the branches off the once side of the tree so I could back the trailer as close as I could. Then, I had to get under the thorns and remove the stabilizer which came apart in a numerous pieces.

Unhitch the trailer, and re-angle the truck, without the stabilizer, we barely cleared the rocks.

To add insult to injury, it took over an hour to re-assemble and re-install the stabilizer.

By the way, I don't know if the stabilizers were installed by KZ or by the dealer. But, what kind of a bonehead installs those with self-tapping screws?

Anyway, at the end of the day, we got through it with only a few small scratches on the back of the TT.

Not my idea of a fun Sunday afternoon.
Oh man... I feel for you. I cant imagine what would have happened if the TT actually flipped. That would have been damage to both vehicles ��

Sorry to hear this bro. Just take it easy and count your blessings.
__________________
___________________
2016 Lance 1995
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn (Custom)
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
MBirch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tottenham, ON
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Oh man... I feel for you. I cant imagine what would have happened if the TT actually flipped. That would have been damage to both vehicles 😨

Sorry to hear this bro. Just take it easy and count ur blessings.
We're actually kind of fortunate. The side driveway is on quite a grade. As I was disconnecting the TT to re-position the truck, my wife kept yelling ... "If you unhitch, it's going to roll down the hill !!" To which I replied, "just make sure all four wheels are well chocked !! If not, it's not going to roll down the hill. It's going to roll into that tree and that branch is going to go right through the back wall !!"

Oh well, we handled the challenge well ...
__________________
_________________________________________
2014 Dodge Durango
2016 Vision V23BHS
MBirch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
you're gonna have a good laugh at that one in the long haul!
In the end, was there any damage? Or was it just an ego bruise..

Sounds to me like it's time to start clearing some rocks

I too wish you had a photo of this...
__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Member
 
DTG173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Island of Long., NY
Posts: 92
Yep. Was packing up leaving track Sunday. It was hot so I got everything set to just drop trailer on hitch, pull the jack boards and go. Truck was lined up(I thought), plugged in, attached chains, w/d bars in place waiting, and I got in shower leaving the rest for my son to do while I enjoyed my shower before the road.

My son went to attach trailer to hook up the bars and saw the coupler was off too much to go over the ball. He didn't see the chains and moved the truck forward... No damage, but it cut my shower short and scared the crap out of him. I'm very glad he is careful and didn't have a "let me just smash this skinny pedal to the ground moment"!

We do everything the same pretty much every time. Don't know why I attached chains.
It happens.
__________________
2014 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 KZ Sportsman Sportster 26P
Fleet of Suzuki's for MX racing
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 611
One time, back in our popup days, we got in very late. Wife and kids were staying home so I drove her car to work and left the truck with the popup hooked up. She decided to unhook it and go somewhere. She did everything except one thing. When she went to leave the popup kept following her. She finally called and I told her to unhook the two chains.
__________________
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,198
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
One time, back in our popup days, we got in very late. Wife and kids were staying home so I drove her car to work and left the truck with the popup hooked up. She decided to unhook it and go somewhere. She did everything except one thing. When she went to leave the popup kept following her. She finally called and I told her to unhook the two chains.
__________________

__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first major mishap RedRaider93 Entegra Owner's Forum 59 05-02-2015 09:04 AM
Our first traveling mishap Cougarkid iRV2.com General Discussion 29 09-17-2014 08:56 PM
slight mishap hit the road Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 06-30-2012 06:17 PM
Mishap with compartment door Restless Newmar Owner's Forum 1 03-08-2012 03:57 PM
OOPS...I had a Robin Williams-RV Mishap... fansill MH-General Discussions & Problems 43 07-06-2011 03:37 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.