Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #1

First out of state trip

We have been using our Hornet mostly within 50 miles of home after buying it. Finally made a longer trip to Asheville NC last week. Trip went great but I was a bit nervous pulling it on the interstate, only time I did that was over a year ago when I brought it home. I have hauled heavy loads a lot but always a flatbed with equipment on it, nothing with this much real estate for wind. It took me a while to get used to tractor trailers passing. Their was no sway motion at all in the camper, but it seemed like it pulls you toward the truck when they first come by the pushes you away as the move past....it that just in my head or do you all have the same experience. The truck/trailer combo pulled great and no bad experiences except one idiot in a car decided to cut me off and I got to test the brakes out more than I wanted. Anyway just thought I would see if this was just me being a noob at pulling a large camper or if I was crazy.
Rdh605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

I towed travel trailers and 5th wheels for years and have experienced the same thing you describe. The best thing that cured it for me was getting a really big truck (crew cab dually). I always found myself watching the rear view mirror for trucks overtaking me in the left lane. You are in the right lane, correct?

Years ago, the cabover semi's were the worst. You don't see many of those on the road anymore.

Also, if you drive in back of big-rigs, you can get caught in a little vortex thingy that'll swirl you around. Nothing to worry about, just back off a little.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Yes I had the vortex happen also, but that I expected. It wasn't actually moving me, I could just feel the push/pull on the truck. I am glad it's not just in my head when they pass. It wasn't horrible and the anti sway did it's job well. When we first got this one I had a half ton truck, I am SO GLAD I upgraded to an F350!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and camper edit.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	26704  
Rdh605 is offline   Reply With Quote