Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #1

I need any pointers anyone may have on buying a travel trailer. I need a superlite trailer as my vehicle can tow a max of 7700 lbs, but I need to sleep 6-8 people. I have looked at Flagstaff, Cherokee, Orbit, and Aljo. If you have anything to share about these trailers, please let me know all you know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #2

I need any pointers anyone may have on buying a travel trailer. I need a superlite trailer as my vehicle can tow a max of 7700 lbs, but I need to sleep 6-8 people. I have looked at Flagstaff, Cherokee, Orbit, and Aljo. If you have anything to share about these trailers, please let me know all you know.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 5 er to sleep 6 to 8 and lite weight. Sounds like you have a 1/2 ton truck by the max of 7700#. First you need to under stand that the max towing rating on a truck is based on a base model, no options, no cargo, and only a 150# driver. For every pound you add over the base model, you reduce towing capacity by a pound. The 1/2 ton trucks are going to be loaded pretty well on GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) before you exceed the GCWR (gross combined rating).

You needto fuel up the truck, load it with normal travel passengers and cargo and add 200# for a 5er hitch. This is you laden vehicle weight (LVW).

Inside the drives door is a sticker with a GVWR and a GAWR (gross axle weight rating). Now get out the owners manual and it should list a GCWR for you specific truck body style, engine and axle ratio.

GCWR -LVW = max loaded trailer weight.
GVWR - LVW = max loaded trialer pin weight.

If you don't want to weigh the truck, look for a trailer with a GVWR that is no more than 80% of the manufacturers maximum tow rating.

With a 1/2 ton truck, you will pretty well be limited to a max of about a 24' 5er.

Some of the 2005 1/2 ton trucks are claiming some higher weight ratings.

Ken
Old 01-30-2005, 11:18 PM   #4

I think that you would be fine with any of the travel trailers that you mentioned. Some other lite weights that you should consider are the Rockwood and the Starcraft-Homestead. What I would look for is the quality of the construction and fit-and-finish. How well the cabinents look, ie. stapled versus screwed and glued together. It will be up to you as to what you want, but bunkhouse models will give you more sleeping options. Good luck on your search.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have an '02 Rockwood 2710. It could sleep eight but I would say not comfortably, 6 it does just fine. You probably need to be looking at bunk models. Rockwood, Flagstaff and Cherokee are built by Forest River (Rockwood and Flagstaff are the same trailer), and are good quality for lite trailers. They are not built as sturdy as your mid to upper level models due mostly to weight savings in the material and construction techniges used to keep the weight down. I have had my Rockwood for three years now and no major problems, just the normal everyday maintenance. All but the smallest 5 th wheels will probably be too heavy, but there are a lot of travel trailers out there that should fit your needs. Good luck in your search!
Old 10-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #6

If I can add something. When we were looking for our last 5th we narrowed it down to 2 very nice trailers. The thing that tipped the scales was the amount of storage space in the basement and I have never regretted it. especially witha 5th wheel. The hitch takes up a lot of space in the bed of the truck and you can't beleive how much stuff a family can drag along. Welcome and good luck you are going to have a ball. RVing is a great way to keep a family together.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote