Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #1

First time de-winterizing

I hope readers find my first efforts amusing rather than stupid. After getting bogged down with online info, my trailer is a 22ft Prowler 1994 and instructions were mostly for newer units I did the following:
1- rinsed out all tanks to remove anti-freeze.
2- put 1 cup Calgon & 2 cups Borax in black and grey water tanks
3- for good measure squirted some Dawn dish cleaning soap
4- filled all tanks to overflow as my gauges are not reliable.
5- was startled to see soapy water coming out of the black water vent.
6- filled fresh water tank [40 gals] and added 2 cups of bleach
All the tanks have been sitting full since yesterday. My biggest concern is the fresh water [ bypassed the water heater ] as I think I put too much bleach.

Hope to get some advice or comments before I start cleaning up today.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
i am taking your post to mean you wanted to flush ALL tanks..............according to my tank bleach measurement, you put in too much.........look at your owners manual if possible................at least with mine, you don't have to flush black/gray with bleach and you don't have to flush black/gray to remove antifreeze..........just flush fresh water system.............. chlorinate fresh water system.....1.5 cups of bleach to 6 gallons of water......flush fresh water and go.............I plan on traveling with just enough fresh water to allow for usage while underway.........not gonna haul around 100 gallons of fresh water if water available at campground....................that was rambling, but hope it helped

Old 04-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #3

I'm surprised I got only one reply,thanks, to my de-winterizing statements. Anyway, to follow up: I put 1/2 gallon of vinegar in fresh water tank [to neutralize bleach] and rinsed the tank out twice.Today I will open the low water point valves,then rinse all lines then refill fresh water tank and I should be good to go. Please let me know if these procedures are OK or am I missing something......thank you
Old 04-22-2016, 06:32 AM   #4

My proceedure is similar except I use even less bleach. The following quote is from Clorox Bleach:

Quote:
Can I put some Clorox into the home water tank?

Here are some potential uses that may apply to your situation:

1. If you have a tank with clear water that you simply want to make sure is safe to drink or use for human contact (hand washing, laundry, etc.), then you can follow the protocol for emergency disinfection of drinking water. In that case, the correct ratio of bleach is ½ teaspoon Clorox® Regular-Bleach per 10 gallons of water (or for a smaller size container, 2 drops per quart). Stir the bleach into the water and let stand 30 minutes. Properly treated water should have a slight chlorine odor—if not, repeat the dosage and let stand an additional 15 minutes.

2. To clean out a water tank, first thoroughly flush the tank using a bleach solution of 1 part Clorox® Regular-Bleach per 150 parts water (a 500ppm bleach solution). I’m not sure of the size of your tank or how much bleach solution you will need, but here’s one example: if you want to make up 10 gallons of bleach solution, then you would start with 9 gallons + 15 cups of water, and then add 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon bleach. After flushing the tank with the 500ppm bleach solution, then rinse with a 10ppm bleach solution (1 teaspoon bleach per 10 gallons of water).

You may also want to get some chlorine test strips to confirm the bleach concentration of the solutions you mix up. These can usually be found at pool supply stores.
https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/bl...g-water-tanks/

I don't do anything at all to the black or gray tanks.

BTW, we had a 24 foot Prowler TT bunk bed model when the kids were young (maybe 1984 or so). Loved that trailer! We crissed crossed the USA several times.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
i am taking your post to mean you wanted to flush ALL tanks..............according to my tank bleach measurement, you put in too much.........look at your owners manual if possible................at least with mine, you don't have to flush black/gray with bleach and you don't have to flush black/gray to remove antifreeze..........just flush fresh water system.............. chlorinate fresh water system.....1.5 cups of bleach to 6 gallons of water......flush fresh water and go.............I plan on traveling with just enough fresh water to allow for usage while underway.........not gonna haul around 100 gallons of fresh water if water available at campground....................that was rambling, but hope it helped
Not sure you meant 1.5 cups of bleach, that's way too much.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #6

I just ran water until it was clear coming out of the faucets. That was it. Definitely don't need to do anything to black and grey tanks. And the anti-freeze you should be using is non toxic.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:59 AM   #7

To sanitize

1/4 Cup per 15 gallons of water is the correct ratio

Filling waste tanks to overflow ?????
There are NO overflows on waste tanks.
Water either comes up in shower or toilet or really full blows out of roof vent and down the sides of RV
Filling waste tanks to this extreme can cause down pipes from sink/shower or toilet and possibly the vent lines to get blown out of the top of tanks if 'grommet gaskets' were used.
OR if down pipes were glued into tanks then 'ballooning' of tanks and possible rupturing of tank sides OR supports to fail.

Tags
winter