Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #15

Well I am guessing you have a 4x4 with v8. If so I see a towing capacity of 8350
And looks like you have a trailer weight of 4300 pounds dry weight.

So from what I can see you should have enough truck for that trailer.

Now with that length of trailer you should use two friction sway controls and make sure they are set up correctly. But I would first make sure that your WDH is set up correctly. But I would really look into a better WDH for a tralier of that length.

And when you stop do a walk around the trailer make sure everything looks good and locked down as they should be. Check the hitch head even the pin that holds the hitch in place. Something I find good it get a pad lock for the hitch head once you are hooked up just lock it in place that way don't have to worry about a pin falling out or even someone screwing with it. And just check tires make sure they all look the same. Also check tire pressure before you start and fill to max air pressure. And always check tires when cold before driving to get the correct air pressure.

Another thing get a torque wrench and check the tire lug nuts make sure they are tight and then check again before you leave to come home. The right amount of wheel torque should be in your owners manual.

I think you will have a great trip. Just don't be in a rush I mean you are carrying your home behind you. You can stop any where at anytime.

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Well I am guessing you have a 4x4 with v8. If so I see a towing capacity of 8350
And looks like you have a trailer weight of 4300 pounds dry weight.
Actually It's not a 4 x 4 but is a V8. We really won't be taking anything heavy besides our clothes and some folding chairs. We do have a small portable grill.

We are going to have to make do with the WDH for the time being, since we just paid 450 for that, the sway bar and labor. But we can get another sway bar. The guy that installed ours said we needed to drop another notch in the chain on the WDH.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #17

Well as I said from what I can see you have enough tow vehicle. If anyone can see a issue with there set up please chime in.

As far as dropping a chain link I am not sure. In my own case I just tilted my hitch head one more washer and this allowed me to not have to use as many chain links. But at the end of the day I ended up with a much smoother ride.

Thing to look for is as long as the back of your truck is not sitting lower than the front and your front wheel gap is close to stock you should be good. A quick measurement with a tape measure will tell you whats going on. And also it's better if the tralier is showing the front slightly nose down or level this will give you the proper tounge weight.

I would add the second sway bar. Cheap and easy. And don't think you will ever get rid of all the sway with this set up. You will always get some. A better hitch set up will be better at controlling sway. But I still feel once everything is set up you will really enjoy towing.

Another big thing is your tralier brake controller. I would recommend getting a prodigy P3 brake controller. This will make your towing experience even better.

Have a safe trip and let us see pics.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by corne73 View Post
We do have a weight distribution hitch and one sway bar. But we thought we had read where you could use another sway bar just to help extra with swaying of the trailer? I know the last trip we took, the wind was blowing pretty hard and my husband said it wore him out because it was making it sway more.

We don't really plan on taking a lot of heavy items. We will get groceries when we get there except for stuff that stays in the camper anyways. Probably the heaviest items would be our luggage.

Also, I was told by a friend that pulls a TT that interstates are bad for the tires and we should try to stay off of them. Is that true? We don't really have straight interstates to the beach but I just wondered if that was true.

Thanks for your help!
You are new to towing, your driving time should reflect on the drivers ability & comfort zone as to how far you are going to drive in a day. Drive at speeds you are comfortable with and how many hours you are comfortable with. Driving while fatigued increases the chance of being involved in a collision, it is not worth it. Speed increases risk of injury & damage, period. As another poster said, figure on 50-55 mph ( I use 50 because I mathematically challenged) to get where your are going.
Towing should not be a white knuckle event, something may be wrong with your hitch set up. You will be surprised on the weight amount you put in your trailer. Get your bathroom scale out & weigh yourself, then pick up the stuff you are putting in the trailer & get on the scale, subtract that weight from your weight and add those figures up & you will have a pretty good idea of the weight you putting in the trailer, I think you will be surprised.
We prefer to avoid interstate highways if we can, traveling the old interstate highway or the secondary roads are more scenic and relaxing. Traveling on the secondary roads gives you a new perspective of the area and the people you meet.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #19

For the bikes, I would not mount them on the back of the trailer for long distance.
Though your trucks is probably already on the high end of it's payload capacity, I like these bike racks from Home Depot online. I got two ($30 each) and can put four bikes in the bed of the truck. At camp, I take them out and we all have a designated spot to park/lock the bikes.
One of the best deals I've found for our camping needs!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #20

I would not stop purposely for that but you are going to need to stop for gas lunch bathroom or something. Then do a walk around and check everything.

As for the bikes I personally do not like them on the back of the trailer. The back of the trailer bounces more than any other part of your rig. I and friends have had bick racks break welds etc. I cannot see them back there and don't trust it anymore. Put them in the pickup box or we even put them in the trailer. We use some moving blankets so they don't scratch the cupboards etc.
Hope you enjoy your trip to South Carolina. We have made the trip with our trailer to Myrtle Beach 3 or 4 times in the past from Ontario. Hope to get there again maybe next year. This year we are going west.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by corne73 View Post
Actually It's not a 4 x 4 but is a V8. We really won't be taking anything heavy besides our clothes and some folding chairs. We do have a small portable grill.

We are going to have to make do with the WDH for the time being, since we just paid 450 for that, the sway bar and labor. But we can get another sway bar. The guy that installed ours said we needed to drop another notch in the chain on the WDH.
Dropping it a link may help. The worst thing you can do is make them too tight and they will start to take weight off the back wheels of the truck. That will result in a white knuckle experience for sure.