Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
First time pumping grease into Dexter EZ Lube hubs

I just pumped grease into my EZ Lube hubs for the first time, and want to pick some brains to make sure I'm not missing anything.

When I removed the dust cap I noticed that the void was not filled with grease. there was some grease visible, but not fully packing the void behind the dust cap.

I placed the grease gun fitting on the zert and pumped grease into the hub while turning the wheel until the old grease literally filled the void and then exited the void around the gun fitting. I pumped until the new grease was visible, removing the old grease as it flowed out and around the gun fitting. When I was done, the void (that was previously mostly empty of grease) was left full of new grease. It took approximately a full tube of grease to do two wheels. Is this what should be expected? Is there anything else I should be checking or doing? I appreciate the help and good advice.

2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Ez-lube wheel bearings , had them don't like them; and here's why.

You had to use a lot of grease; particularly on your first service; normal.
The old grease from the OUTER bearing, came into the area under the access cap; normal.
Now the bad part, the old grease from the inner bearing has been pumped into the cavity between the inner and outer bearings, that old grease is what pushed the new grease from the cavity between the bearings through the outer bearing. So the next time you service the bearings, you will be using even more grease to try and get fresh grease into both bearings.
JMHO. They Ez-lube set up should only be used ONCE, then the hub & bearings removed and cleaned, brakes inspected, and the seal replaced like a standard bearing set up.
For a mid season , high mileage travel quick service ; I used mine 1/2 way through a 16,000 mile 3 month trip; they are an ok idea, but as far as being the only service your bearings require.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have them and don't use them. If the inner seal fails the brakes will be done. There are plenty of posts about that and I would suggest you do a search before you decide.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess some folks missed the part about the OP already pumping grease into the hub.

Find a way to inspect that grease did not push past the inner seal and contaminate the brakes. Yes, you might have been very careful, but that seems to be the number one problem with the EZ Lube system.

Assuming that you had no problems with the seal, it will take quite a bit of grease to get fresh grease on both bearings. Grease is cheap compared to just about any other problem you can have with the hub outside of contaminated brakes.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Remember to rotate the wheel when pumping
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Jayco Owners Club
I use this system every other year. And, every other year I do a complete tear-down and refresh any bearing that is suspect, and of course new seals. In my opinion, it's a good system and the old grease will tell you if you have problems coming up... or that they're already there. If the old stuff looks like metallic paint... you have problems. If it doesn't come out like it should, your seal has been breached. In either case it's time for a tear down.
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
I had the rear hub seals fail doing this, grease all over the brakes.....$$ to replace brake assemblies, since you cannot get grease off brake shoes effectively . Lesson learned. Now I hand pack the bearings and hub cavity and call it a day. No issues since.
My 2 cents anyway.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I had the rear hub seals fail doing this, grease all over the brakes.....$$ to replace brake assemblies, since you cannot get grease off brake shoes effectively . Lesson learned. Now I hand pack the bearings and hub cavity and call it a day. No issues since.
My 2 cents anyway.

Yes, so many do find out they should leave it alone and just clean, repack and seal every other year or 10K miles. I put over 30K miles on my old fiver doing it this way.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
The grease filling the void is wasted grease.

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote