Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
I sort of agree with you, modern half tons will tow what they're rated at. I've tried to illustrate what you said in my post, but also let the OP know that pushing the limits Wil not be comfortable. So yes if your under rating and properly hitched you can be safe In your own post you say you bought a 2500 and are glad you did? Why are you glad? Is towing easier and more comfortable with the big truck? So yep you can safely tow what it's rated for, but if you stay say 6500 and under gross then the half ton experience can be like it is with your Ram. I have towed heavy with my brothers Minnie Plus and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If I buy the big heavy trailer I might tow it a year but I like easier towing and like you will get a bigger truck.
Since you asked why I bought a 2500, here is my answer. My Tundra was getting long in the tooth with 180,000 miles and my accountant told me to buy some equipment. I travel a lot of miles and my truck is my daily driver. The Tundra could safely tow the trailer but I also put a Honda quad in the bed of the pickup along with spare fuel jugs etc. I knew I was pushing the limits. I had read a lot of positive reviews of the new Ram 2500 with the coil suspension and the Cummins motor. I test drove it and it felt very comfortable. The thing I like the most is the bottom end torque of the Diesel engine. No more downshifting and listening to a screaming gas v-8. If I was just going to local Campgrounds within a few hundred miles I would stick with a half ton gas rig, but since we go all over the West I’m glad we got the diesel 2500. Both work safely, the 2500 is more comfortable.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #44

That's funny. You've been warned! Like making making your setup better at towing is a bad thing.guess what even with the perfect setup you could be arrested or sued.poor load distribution.lack of maint.negligence.etc.my goal would be to achieve safer travel.not just compliance with arbitrary numbers on the side of my rig.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #45

so i think ive decided on a grand design does anyone have any ideas for me on negotiating tactics to maybe be get a better deal im gunna go look a few over in person tomarrowthen try and decide again
Rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 AM   #46

They say a good deal on a new one is 20-25% off. But if they're trying to move inventory off their lots because March/April is the time the new models come out in rvs, who knows what you can get. I got 20% off no problem plus filled propane tanks, etc and that was on a brand new 2019 Lance being built to order.
Charmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #47

Be patient; dont look excited; look at cheaper/smaller units first and then say it is too small let the salesman ‘steer’ you to the larger costlier one that you actually want so that he feels like he is upselling you; sit down and work the deal to see what they come up with. Then, WALK AWAY. Say you need to think about it. He will call you next day and then the next; tell him too much and then offer less. Tell him you are looking at Brand X and for same size/features it costs a lot less. You gotta play the game...
Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #48

some trailer shopping things to be on the lookout for: ducted heating and air conditioning unit that runs off a thermostat rather than just on or off. you will get annoyed with the noise the a/c makes if constantly on. ours has foam core floor and closed underbelly which makes the floor comfortable on cool mornings. power lift for the tongue so you dont have to hand crank. large capacity grey tank for when you are at a park with no connections, showers and dish washing fill up a tank fast. led lights, lighted steps, good outside speakers ( I know people who have blown out their cheapo ones the first trip ), shower with a door, lighting in storage compartment, power tank flush, outside hose/faucet for washing hands and stuff, back-up camera prewire, solar prewire, ours has all aluminum framing so as to minimize the chance of rotting of the structure..and a ladder and a roof you can get on for cleaning and repairs.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
some trailer shopping things to be on the lookout for: ducted heating and air conditioning unit that runs off a thermostat rather than just on or off. you will get annoyed with the noise the a/c makes if constantly on. ours has foam core floor and closed underbelly which makes the floor comfortable on cool mornings. power lift for the tongue so you dont have to hand crank. large capacity grey tank for when you are at a park with no connections, showers and dish washing fill up a tank fast. led lights, lighted steps, good outside speakers ( I know people who have blown out their cheapo ones the first trip ), shower with a door, lighting in storage compartment, power tank flush, outside hose/faucet for washing hands and stuff, back-up camera prewire, solar prewire, ours has all aluminum framing so as to minimize the chance of rotting of the structure..and a ladder and a roof you can get on for cleaning and repairs.
do you have a livin light i was going to purchase one of those but it seems as if theyvare going out of buisness or changing over to steel framing which led me to wonder who will handle warranty issues from hem now
Rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #50

no I bought the coachmen freedom express 246 rks. the wife and I liked the layout of it with the rear kitchen and window back there. you usually are parked with the rear facing the lake or features and we like being able to see out the back. it has all aluminum framing. we also liked the fact that the sleeping area has a little separation from the hanging out area.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #51

LANCE
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer