Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #29

A smaller hybrid would meet your list of wants, but the set up will be only slightly less than the popup. Your interior storage goes up, and it can have a full bath, so you have much less to pull out/pack away on setup/tear down, but you still have the tent ends, that still flap in the wind, and still have to be deployed. I think you will find that towing any full-height trailer with your V6 Tacoma will be unpleasant unless you live somewhere very flat and don't mind taking your time getting anywhere.

However, instead of focusing on that 5K tow limit, check the door sticker for the number you can add as cargo and people (payload limit). You will very likely find that THIS is your limiter.

For example our RAM 1500 5.7 hemi has a 10K tow limit, but 1500 payload limit. That effectively reduces the trailer we can tow down to about 6 or 7K once we put people, bikes, the dog, and the tongue weight on it. We even move all our food, ice chests, and luggage to the trailer before we take off to take some stress off the payload limit. When we have guests, we have them meet us there, even though we technically have 3 free seat belts in the truck. I'm working on mounting fork mounts for the bikes inside the trailer near the trailer axels to move the bikes out of the payload equation as well.

350 lbs of people (2 adults)
+100 pound weight distribution hitch
+100 pounds of bikes
+50 pounds yeti cooler loaded with ice
+35 pound dog
= 635 pounds

This leaves 865 for tongue weight.

at 12% tongue weight this means I can safely tow a trailer that is 7208lbs.

That's a lot less than the pretty 10,500LB advertizement on the RAM site for our truck.

If I move the bikes and yeti to the axles of the trailer I can tow closer to 8458 lbs.

If I get a lighter WDH I can further increase the payload from tongue weight. Andersen makes the lightest weight WDH I've seen at around 70 lbs. The Blue Ox, which i've ordered is closer to 100.

I hope this math exemplifies that the GCVW isn't usually the limiter for travel trailers. It's the payload that gets us long before the TT weight reaches limits.

Check the sticker in the door for payload.

A trailmanor is a good option for you and they can usually be found used. The only thing you would have to give up is for the 3rd bed you'd need to convert a couch or dinette.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #30

Thanks for all the advice.

I wanted to share that I recently towed a trailer, borrowed from a friend to see how the truck handled it. It was a 17 foot dual axle, full height, Coachmen. Dry weight was about 3500 with a GVWR of 5000. It was packed light but had some gear, dual propane tanks, and dual batteries, it was probably close to 4000 pounds by his estimate as I towed it. The trailer had a WDH but no sway control. He has bigger than OEM 15 inch wheels and tires on it, it sits higher than most trailers I've seen. He set it up to match his lifted F250.

I also got to test my wiring of my new 7 pin and P3 brake controller. Yay, I did that correctly.

My truck was loaded a little with some gear in the bed and my fat friend (who weighs more than my wife and 2 kids combined) in the passenger seat.

Well my little Toyota handled it fine. First we live in the foothills of Los Angeles, my house is at 2100 feet elevation. There are some decent grades around here and almost anywhere I want to go would include a decent climb. Heck the street I live on is a steady 1/2 mile grade that taxes your brakes on the way down.

I maintained 55 mph (speed limit in California with a trailer) up several grades, including up the 5 fwy to the Grapevine. Sure it needed a downshift but it was at a reasonable rpm with very light throttle. I never felt it was being pushed hard. The truck was rock solid up to 65 mph on the flat portions. I didn't take it any faster than that. No sway (again now sway control on the trailer), brakes were fine, rode nice and smooth. I guess my little truck, geared down, with fancy suspension, and big brakes did ok. This experiment showed my that I can comfortably tow 4000 pounds. I am looking for slightly less but I'm confident the truck will handle whatever I end up with.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #31

Sounds like that was a good test. Just keep the weight and same basic design in mind when you are looking for your new TT and you should be good to go.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #32

Have you found a trailer? The only ultralight I can think of that has hard walls and separate beds for 4 is the 184BH JAY FLIGHT, it has bunks!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Have you found a trailer? The only ultralight I can think of that has hard walls and separate beds for 4 is the 184BH JAY FLIGHT, it has bunks!
I am taking my time. But from the trailers I have seen in person my favorite, for now, is the Coachman 17BH. What I liked was the storage and the shower with the full plastic surround. What I didn't like was the tiny 13" wheels.

Really that full plastic surround is something I would prefer. Most trailers I've seen don't have that. But like I said I'm taking my time.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
Sounds like that was a good test. Just keep the weight and same basic design in mind when you are looking for your new TT and you should be good to go.
Yes, I am pleased. They only problem I had was the mirrors. I didn't have tow mirrors and visibility was terrible. I really couldn't see, not safe at all. I already purchased some good tow mirrors. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
I am taking my time. But from the trailers I have seen in person my favorite, for now, is the Coachman 17BH. What I liked was the storage and the shower with the full plastic surround. What I didn't like was the tiny 13" wheels.

Really that full plastic surround is something I would prefer. Most trailers I've seen don't have that. But like I said I'm taking my time.
We just got the 17FQ which is very close to the 17BH.. It looks like there is room for 14" wheels and tires and I may at some point change them out. We are just about ready to take it out for the first time..

We shopped around a lot and this trailer had the most features that we liked.. especially the light weight.

We are towing with a 2014 Grand Cherokee. It pulled great coming home from the Dealer..

Joe
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #36

Just remember, it may tow it "fine", but when the yahoo in front of you cuts you short and slams on the brakes, will the truck stop it under control and without you hurting yourself or the rig. Easy to pull...but you want that "too much truck" when you really need it most, not the "it will probably do it".
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by qchair62 View Post
Just remember, it may tow it "fine", but when the yahoo in front of you cuts you short and slams on the brakes, will the truck stop it under control and without you hurting yourself or the rig. Easy to pull...but you want that "too much truck" when you really need it most, not the "it will probably do it".
The Jeep is rated for 6500 lbs. towing .. I'm pulling about 3300 lbs of trailer and about 500 lbs. of people and cargo in the Jeep.. I have a p2 Brake Controller and a Equal-i-zer 6000 lb. WDH. I think I've done all I can do except control the "yahoo" ..

Joe
Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganjoe View Post
The Jeep is rated for 6500 lbs. towing .. I'm pulling about 3300 lbs of trailer and about 500 lbs. of people and cargo in the Jeep.. I have a p2 Brake Controller and a Equal-i-zer 6000 lb. WDH. I think I've done all I can do except control the "yahoo" ..

Joe

I agree %100, If you spend all your time worrying about "what if", you won't have any time to go camping.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #39

Quote:
I agree %100, If you spend all your time worrying about "what if", you won't have any time to go camping.
Exactly...
Old 05-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by qchair62 View Post
Yes, it stops fine. My truck has brakes off a Tundra with upgraded aftermarket components (braided lines, good fluid, good pads, quality rotors, proportioning valve adjusted). I can really lean on the brakes hard without issue. My pads seen to last forever because they are much bigger than stock. I want to change the pads/rotors just because it's been so long it seems weird.

Also having King's Coilovers with big springs control brake dive and keep the truck very stable. Amazing what a $1200 set of front shocks with proper springs will do. Until you've had Kings or something comparable, you don't know what you're missing. I'll never have a truck without them.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
Yes, it stops fine. My truck has brakes off a Tundra with upgraded aftermarket components (braided lines, good fluid, good pads, quality rotors, proportioning valve adjusted). I can really lean on the brakes hard without issue. My pads seen to last forever because they are much bigger than stock. I want to change the pads/rotors just because it's been so long it seems weird.

Also having King's Coilovers with big springs control brake dive and keep the truck very stable. Amazing what a $1200 set of front shocks with proper springs will do. Until you've had Kings or something comparable, you don't know what you're missing. I'll never have a truck without them.

Keep in mind that the trailer brakes are supposed to stop the trailer not the trucks brakes. Just get a trailer with good brakes and a good brake controller for your truck and it will stop fine.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Keep in mind that the trailer brakes are supposed to stop the trailer not the trucks brakes. Just get a trailer with good brakes and a good brake controller for your truck and it will stop fine.

Good point..

Tags
advice