Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #15

You can not really take a 2 hr. hot shower because you will run out of hit water. With a 6 gallon hot water heater, the gray tank valve open, hooked to campground water you can take approx. a 10 -12 minute hot shower.

If you have a 10 gallon hot water heater you can take a 20 minute hot water shower.

My guess is the gray tank is filling up as designed and there is nothing wrong.

If you leave you gray tank dump valve open most likely nothing bad will happen. But there are stories that fleas will come thru the sewage system and get into the trailer. If you camp in the same general camp grounds you can ask others what they do with the gray tank valve.

Also depends on when and where you camp. If it is in hot summer months I would probably keep the gray valve closed. If camping in cooler weather I might leave it open.

I worry a little about snakes, spiders, and fleas while staying in Florida. But Dec, Jan and Feb I leave the gray tank valve open. In Mar.and Apr. I keep it closed. We stay where it gets cold at night 30's and 40's and sometimes in the 20's. That is cold enough to keep crawly critters at bay.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #16

[QUOTE=Fast0ne;1794035]I was just looking at the specs on you nomad trailer and what I found was this correct me if your trailer is not a 186 model.

Fresh water tank is 27 gallons
Grey water tank is 15 gallons
Black water is 10 gallons

[QUOTE]

Thanks FastOne... I looked at what SHOULD have been specs early yesterday, and that's where I got the "28 gal" capacity figure (right off the Skyline Mfg site) - and that made me think something wasn't right. A 15 gal tank would certainly make more sense, and looking under the trailer, it appears to be more accurate than 28 gals. I intended to do a test on the grey tank yesterday evening, but I didn't take into account the time change we had this past weekend, so it was pitch black out by the time I got home. Leaving the grey tank valve open is certainly a viable practice, as long as the campground doesn't consider that a violation. I explained the "NAVY" shower to my beloved last night, and he agrees that we should certainly practice that method. Plus, using a bucket to collect the water out of the grey tank during the stay when there's no full hookup with sewer. Yes, 15 gals makes much more sense than 28... and explains why it could be filling up so quickly.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #17

15g sounds right. We can get 4 navy style showers + dishes on a 35g gray tank. That is just under 9gal/shower. That explains your tub and drains backing up (assuming 15gal gray in your trailer)
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #18

Well glad I could be of help.

Most full hook up sites allow gray water to be left open. Just not the black tank for safety purposes for them and you. And if they do not allow gray to be open all the time they will sometimes allow you to just have a slow drain which means just open the valve a small amount to just let the water trickle out.

And if dry camping you can use a bucket to catch it.

Check the boon docking section lots of good info there.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Why leave the gray valve open and take a chance of getting sewer fleas and smells. How hard is it to go out and open the valve and empty the tank when it is half full?
Just my 02 cents worth.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Why leave the gray valve open and take a chance of getting sewer fleas and smells. How hard is it to go out and open the valve and empty the tank when it is half full?
Just my 02 cents worth.
Or he could buy one of those 4 wheeled tanks and drain into that, then tow it to a dump station. 15 gallons is not much capacity.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
This is true while dry camping but when hooked up you can take two hour showers if you like because that dump valve can be left open or at least can be opened after each shower. Had to throw that in because if I had never Rved before and read that I had to shower in that method it might have turned me back to hotels
Dry camping....lots of state and corp parks do nit have sewer but have electric and water. So there you need to practice water conservation for the tanks.

Ken
Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I worry a little about snakes, spiders, and fleas
I keep the grey trap closed and after reading this will definitely continue the practice.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #23

Not sure where you all camp at. But I have not ran into any issues at a full hook up site with leaving the gray tank valve open. I also make a bend in the sewer hose to make a small pee trap outside to help if there were any odors.

And if camping with no hook up then you should maybe get a porta tank to fill. But you could fill a small bucket walk off into the bush and dump it out.

But if they only have a 15 gallon grey and 10 gallon black camping without full hookups will fill everything fast.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #24

Grey water capacity

You could always wash you dishes in a dish pan. Use one pan for soapy water and one with clear water for rinsing. Wash out on the picnic table in good weather. Find a tree to put the waste water on. Some parks might not allow this. This will save your grey water capacity.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #25

Simple answer: the vent is shoved too far down into the tank. Not sure how easy this is to repair.

Bruce
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Simple answer: the vent is shoved too far down into the tank. Not sure how easy this is to repair.

Bruce
If this was the case, the gray tank would drain slowly or sporadically 'gulp' air as it drained. Under the sink, see if the horizontal pipe from the P trap has down slope to it. Loosen the connection at the sink down-pipe and P trap and see if the P trap can slide up to increase slope of the horizontal pipe. Also verify there is a 'cheater vent' under sink, if so that would show venting isn't the issue.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If this was the case, the gray tank would drain slowly or sporadically 'gulp' air as it drained. Under the sink, see if the horizontal pipe from the P trap has down slope to it. Loosen the connection at the sink down-pipe and P trap and see if the P trap can slide up to increase slope of the horizontal pipe. Also verify there is a 'cheater vent' under sink, if so that would show venting isn't the issue.
Not necessarily. Most likely, the bath sink drain and the kitchen sink drain have air admittance valves which will open to allow the air into the system when the tank is drained. I know how this stuff works -- I am a Master Plumber.

Bruce
Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Not necessarily. Most likely, the bath sink drain and the kitchen sink drain have air admittance valves which will open to allow the air into the system when the tank is drained. I know how this stuff works -- I am a Master Plumber.

Bruce
The small openings in cheater valves would still cause the tank to drain slowly or gurgling in the sink traps if the roof vent was inadequate. When I open the flush valve, things move pretty quickly.

Bob & Donna