Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Question First time with our TT and got some questions

Hi all

So my wife and I did it .. we bought ourselves a 1995 Travelaire Rustler 23.5 Ft TT.... shes a couple of years old but she has obviously been babied by her previous owners as she's in amazing shape.

just got back from an amazing camp weekend with a group of friends. ( Highly recommend to anyone new to the trailer seen to go out the first time with some experienced people... we forgot a couple of basics like a frying pan... good thing our friends were near LOL)

anyways everything seems to be working great... heat stove, A/C (although we didn't use it i've only tested it works) but we had a few problems with our fridge.

its a Norcold 6162 AC and LP... when i first got the trailer i could not get it to go to LP... after a little investigating i found this was due to a bad Fuse inside the Electric circuit board on the back of the TT behind the fridge. sweet $0.50 fuse and im off to the races... now that i'm out there my fridge again wont ignite on LP... so i figure its the fuse again... this time no... my fridge will manually switch over from LP to AC And back again (and i can gere all the cellanoids clicking) but it won't fire the Propane. so the igniter does not seem to be working now... if i manually lit the flame it worked great until the the fridge would reach temp then disengage. when the temp would rise it would try to fire again bit no spark. it appears that the actual igniter line and igniter look new... could the control module be something i should be looking at or should i just try replacing the igniter line. as i'm typing this i feel i'm answering my own questions... just wanted maybe some feedback if there is something else i should look into before i go by the $200.00 part.

2nd ... when i am plugged into AC all my wall outlets work except 2 of them... the one below the dining table (on the door wall side) and the outside outlet on the Door side as well... i suspect these are wired together somehow... i checked the main fuse box and everything looks cool... i dont know where to start to identify the cause of the problem as the wires are embedded in the walls..... any advice on this would be welcome

Thanks again

Craig Johnson

C-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
The two outlets that are not working could be on a GFI that needs to be reset. If you have an inverter, they could be running off of it.

USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Many 120 outlets in an RV are 'daisy chained' through a GFI outlet so they are all protected. Test and reset all GFI outlet buttons to make sure that's not the issue.

Here's the manual for the refrigerator, go through it and follow the instructions for troubleshooting. Are you sure you have a fully charged battery to power it? Were you plugged in to a shore cord and do you have a converter/charger to maintain the 12 v system when plugged in?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Thanks for the advice guys. Turns out you were both right. A GFI inside the bathroom fixed it. Should have caught that.

As for my fridge we were running off batt all day but using my buddy's generator to top up battery during the day. So had a full batt for most of the time. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400630533.962466.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	63450

Here is what I'm seeing. Took the cover off the controller and that is the fuse I'm referring too.

Craig Johnson
C-Train is offline   Reply With Quote