Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

first timers need help w/dewinterizing and hookups

Needing help from the all knowing gurus

FYI: this is a brand new 2013 passport 3220bh

We are planning on going to either our first full hookup or state park with the blue tote this weekend and need help on dewinterizing and hookups

I have scoured the internet for a how to video that shows how to dewinterize that isnt a motorhome and starting inside with things already hookup on the outside.

We will boondock so dont need to fill fresh water tank since we always will be hooking up at the park being that it may be state park or private..
(1)Do I need to fill it and sanitize it??

(2)What is your run through for dewinterizing?

(3)anything else I need to do to offically start the camping season?

I would like to know if we hookup correctly since we have only hookup electric and if you read my last post you will understand the problem we had there which we think was from hubby rehooking up the battery wrong

(4)Do we have to turn off the break inside while plugging in the camper like I saw on a video on youtube

(5)how do we set up the toilet

(6) explain your hookup at the park

sorry for the questions just really dont want to make any mistakes and ruin something in the camper.. hard to move up from popups to travel trailer and automaticlly know how to do things

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #2

Here are some you tube videos. You may be over thinking the whole thing.
hooking up a travel trailer in campground - YouTube

Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like they did the 5min walk through at the dealership with them.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

I can help with as few items.

Toilet - add about 10% of the black tank capacity with water. The goal is to make sure bottom of the tank has a few inches of water. Then add a chemical pouch.

Plugging in - the only thing I do is make sure the cord from the truck is unplugged. No need to turn off any breakers. Just plug in.

De-winterizing, run fresh water thru all faucets until all the pinkish water runs clear. That is it.

Sanitize the fresh water tank - I sanatize twice a year. In the beginning and mid summer. You have to let it sit for several hours. I usually wait over night. You do not need much bleach. I fill the fresh water tank 1/2 way. Add bleach to a bucket of water and put that into the fresh water tank. Then continue to fill the fresh water tank until full. Now run that water thru all faucets and shower. Then let it sit over night. Next day drain the fresh water tank (this takes some time). Fill with fresh water and run all faucets for several minutes to flush the lines. Drain the fresh water tank again. Now it has been sanatized.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As far as the fresh water system, it all depends on how the RV was winterized. If propylene glycol (pink RV anti-freeze) was circulated in the fresh water lines, there's every chance the water heater was drained and bypassed. If it was, you'll need to replace the drain plug/anode plug (if it wasn't replaced) in the water heater tank, close the bypass valve around the water heater and open the cold and hot water valves going to/from the water heater.

After checking the shore power pedestal for correct voltage and wiring, it's recommended to shut off the breaker on the pedestal, plug in the RV's shore power cord, and then turn on the pedestal breaker. By so doing, you avoid having non-simultaneous engagement of the prongs under power (a real potential problem on 50A rigs) and sparking/arcing between the power receptacle and the prongs on the shore power cord plug.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #6

Turn of the breaker on the park pedestal before you plug it in. This keeps the contacts on your plug from arcing when you plug it in and makes it last longer.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

do I have to fill my fresh water tank before dewinterizing? This is a new unit and we do not intend on using the fresh water tank, we normally camp where there is at least water if not full hookup
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
No, it's not necessary to fill the fresh water tank, although if you're going to use it in the future for potable water, you should sanitize it before use. We never drink from the fresh water tank and just carry 10 gallons of water or so in it to flush the toilet when we're traveling in case of an emergency potty stop.

You can just hook up to the campground water supply and flush out your lines.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd fill and flush tank and lines, then do the bleach treatment to the tank and lines even if you don't plan to use the tank. You don't know how well the tank is isolated from the hose inlet, why chance contamination? It won't hurt to learn the plumbing and working of the unit. I'd also put a few gallons of water in the tank just to protect the water pump. You do not want the pump to run without water, it can burn it up. You also might wish to have a pressure regulator on the water hose to prevent damage to plumbing.

On the electric, be sure to have any adaptors to hook up to a 50, 30 or 20 amp outlet from whatever shore cord you have. It is wise to turn off the circuit breaker at the pedestal when plugging or unplugging the cord, as has been said, it prevents any arcing or accidental electrocution from trying to plug or unplug cord. It also makes sure the contacts in the CB aren't 'welded' shut and is free moving.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehstrojette View Post
do I have to fill my fresh water tank before dewinterizing? This is a new unit and we do not intend on using the fresh water tank, we normally camp where there is at least water if not full hookup
We never intended to use our fresh holding tank last year, however, out of the 10 times we went out, 3 of the camps lost power or had water issues. So we had to hook up to a water toter and fill up the holding tank so we could use the restroom and wash dishes.

Murphey's Law states that if you dont prep for it, it will be needed. I will flush and sanitize the holding tank. when we get to camp for this years camping trips i am going to put 1/4-1/2 tank in fresh holding just as a precaution, then hook up direct.

Living up in Cleveland we are getting ready for our first trip at the end of the month. The kids are super stoked!

Good luck and have fun.