Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #29

I have a 3.5L Ecoboost, but from everything I've read your 2.7L Ecoboost should handle your trailer just fine. Enjoy!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
nick1 - sounds like you got the right game plan going on. Go to the etrailer site that I posted before to help you understand WDHs AND the WDHs that help contain SWAY. Ask your dealer what sort of hitch they are putting on and then read up on it before you install it on your tow vehicle and TT. Total weight and tongue weight are not your only concerns. You ought to understand how and why the setup was done, how to make adjustments if need, what the hookup process is and how the WDH works.

I would caution you to remember, this dealer sent you on your way WITHOUT (IMO) what you needed to safely pull your TT. The dealer may be great and made an honest mistake but you need to understand as much as possible before your install. Again, strongly suggest going to the etrailer.com website. It will help.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
nick1 - sounds like you got the right game plan going on. Go to the etrailer site that I posted before to help you understand WDHs AND the WDHs that help contain SWAY. Ask your dealer what sort of hitch they are putting on and then read up on it before you install it on your tow vehicle and TT. Total weight and tongue weight are not your only concerns. You ought to understand how and why the setup was done, how to make adjustments if need, what the hookup process is and how the WDH works.

I would caution you to remember, this dealer sent you on your way WITHOUT (IMO) what you needed to safely pull your TT. The dealer may be great and made an honest mistake but you need to understand as much as possible before your install. Again, strongly suggest going to the etrailer.com website. It will help.
Thanks for the tip...I'm going to be all over this install. They are making it right.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
nick1 - the WDH helps with what I call HOBBY HORSING - movement up and down from front to back on your rig. Sway is a "wagging" motion that can get really nuts. Got to pay attention to both. JMO.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #33

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't go back to this dealer. They sent you away with an unsafe set-up. In the end, no harm done - but, the results could have been worse.

When we left the dealer almost two months ago, they explained everything to us thoroughly. They then took me on a test-drive, further explaining the WDH and the trailer brake.

Alas, when we left Walmart later that day with significantly more weight, I experienced some problematic sway and bouncing. The trailer was sitting too high on the font as you can see in this picture. Given how they explained the WDH to me, I was able to make a few adjustments to better level out the TT. No more sway or bouncing. It's now a pleasure to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13177500_1105601346147848_21010015331462098_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	132424  
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #34

Quote:
nick1 - the WDH helps with what I call HOBBY HORSING - movement up and down from front to back on your rig. Sway is a "wagging" motion that can get really nuts. Got to pay attention to both. JMO.
Having it a little off, I experienced a lot of "HOBBY HORSING", probably because I carry over 200lbs of bikes on the back. It's a really uncomfortable feeling. My wife and daughter were getting motion sickness from the bouncing.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
MBirch - good looking setup. Your anecdote is exactly what I was getting at - had to do the same thing with our WDH. We were traveling on I-10 through New Mexico and saw a jacked knife TT and a mid-sized SUV. Took a careful look as we went by - no WDH and anti-sway. It was on bridge over a fairly steep gorge. No doubt in my mind that a sudden cross wind caught them as they broke through the hills and over the bridge. Only good news is the TT was on it's side but the SUV was still upright. I don't believe anyone was hurt but it could have been fatal.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
RVGuy1966, that Nissan Armada sounds small for a 27' trailer, can't imagine you have enough payload for that TT!

The armada has a tow cap of 9100 lbs and the TT dry is 5873 which doesn't reach the total cap of 15,100 lbs even adding water, passengers and luggage plus fuel so we're good. Been using it for about 3 years already.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Okay, as I type this we are in Elk City, OK spending the night in an RV park. We are on a roundabout way home in Florida from Colorado and so far have covered over 3,000 miles under many different conditions, including today's strong, gusty crosswinds in TX and OK. We are pulling a new Bullet 269RLS (31' total length) with a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 with the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost and Max towing package. Our WDH is the Blu Ox Sway Pro and it has worked marvelously under all conditions. I highly recommend it. In fact, I am very happy with our entire rig.
I'm partial to the Blue Ox Sway Pro also.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #38

update:: Went back to the dealer and they did put on the EQ WDH with sway control. Next day we took TT on our maiden voyage to a small campground a couple hours away. MAJOR improvement. The hitch did it's job perfectly and gave me the confidence to tow safely. Very happy with results. Looking forward to many more trips. By the way, the 2.7 liter F150 pulled just fine. No issues whatsoever. Transmission never got above 200 and it was 99 outside and the terrain was slightly hilly. I'll keep an eye on the temps.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
The armada has a tow cap of 9100 lbs and the TT dry is 5873 which doesn't reach the total cap of 15,100 lbs even adding water, passengers and luggage plus fuel so we're good. Been using it for about 3 years already.
Must be confusing the Armada with the Pathfinder. The Armada is a bit dated, but still capable.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
update:: Went back to the dealer and they did put on the EQ WDH with sway control. Next day we took TT on our maiden voyage to a small campground a couple hours away. MAJOR improvement. The hitch did it's job perfectly and gave me the confidence to tow safely. Very happy with results. Looking forward to many more trips. By the way, the 2.7 liter F150 pulled just fine. No issues whatsoever. Transmission never got above 200 and it was 99 outside and the terrain was slightly hilly. I'll keep an eye on the temps.
That's GOOD news!

I have the 2016 F150 (2wd) with that fancy 2.7
I also have a bit heavier TT. (#4900 dry)
That motor has absolutely no complaint pulling the load. I still can't get over the torque that thing produces and at less than 2000rpms. It's like a diesel power curve from a gas engine. Simply amazing.

But yea, I wouldn't even consider trying to get around having a good quality WDH-Antisway solution with these lighter trucks. And our new aluminum F150's come with fairly under-damped shocks if you ask me. (Especially the first couple of inches of travel)

Glad to hear you addressed your tow situation the right way. Towing with confidence ADDS to the shear pleasure of RV-ing.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree, you are just not hitched properly

You can get a used hitch from $100 up to $150, You will be fine.

you'll want a Sway bar too
Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #42

I bought an E2 and it was a big improvement with semis passing.

Tags
tow