Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #15

Okay, as I type this we are in Elk City, OK spending the night in an RV park. We are on a roundabout way home in Florida from Colorado and so far have covered over 3,000 miles under many different conditions, including today's strong, gusty crosswinds in TX and OK. We are pulling a new Bullet 269RLS (31' total length) with a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 with the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost and Max towing package. Our WDH is the Blu Ox Sway Pro and it has worked marvelously under all conditions. I highly recommend it. In fact, I am very happy with our entire rig.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #16

I/we worked the numbers on towing with the 2.7 and Came out way under the max rating. As mentioned earlier, I wasn't towing 7600#s. That's the max I can tow. The TT I'm towing is 3320#s. So I was way under. Since original post I know now the fresh water tank was full from dealer. Not sure why they put 30 or so gallons of water in there just to tow to storage. I drained it out. The next step will be to get the WDH for sure. That will help tremendously.
nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #17

Before I bought my TT I bought a truck that would pull it and also bought the hitch that would give me the best connection. I'm not trying to sound above anyone but for something that will affect my family and others on the road the price was worth it. I have a Nissan Armada SE 4wd with a 27 foot Z1 and use the Hensley Arrow. The eaz-lift I had before that I couldn't get past 15 mph without sway, now I forget its behind me.

If you can afford the safety please do....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #18

I have a f150 2.7 ecoboost and I pull a 24ft starcraft and it pulls okays but you definitely know its back there. My trailer is 5300 dry so I would think you should have no problem pulling that small trailer. My temp runs between 204-210. I have a WD hitch and equalizer sway bars. I get some movement with the 18 wheelers but have not been in any heavy wind yet.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #19

I thought it sounded small too but just read a little on that 2.7 you got there. It's amazing the power Ford's getting out of the little engines. 325 hp/375 tq is v8 power from not to long ago. As others have said, a good wd hitch is probably all you need. Enjoy your new trailer.
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RVGuy1966, that Nissan Armada sounds small for a 27' trailer, can't imagine you have enough payload for that TT!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:32 AM   #21

It's seems from reading on here that most of the WD hitches are pretty solid. Ours came with an Equalizer. I'm very comfortable towing with it. I feel a little tug when tractor trailers pass but it's not that bad. I'm even comfortable with the noises it makes when turning now! First time I heard it I was pretty sure the back end of my truck tore off. I take the bars off when we arrive at check in now. I found that tongue weight really makes a huge difference as well.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #22

Make sure you size your WDH to the weight you are towing. No need for overkill on the bar size.

I also have a Centerline TS. Very good WDH for the money.

Husky Center Line Towing System | Husky Towing

http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...-A_HITCH_1.pdf

Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #23

That truck will be fine with that trailer. Towing a TT will always result in some changes to the overall ride. I towed my sons new TT for him from the dealer to his house without a WDH.
It's fairly small at 21' and dry weight is 3000lbs. Dry tongue weight is 406lbs. I towed it with a 12 Ram 2500 CTD. Power wise I could barely tell it was there. But I could still feel a little tugging back there. It's just the nature of the towing game. I even feel it with my 5x10 utility trailer.
You really don't need a WD hitch weight wise. But it wouldn't hurt to have one and it could very well take out some of that bouncy feeling you're getting.
By the time you load up the TT you could be pushing 4000lbs. Tongue weights should fall between 10-15%. 12.5% being optimal. That would be 500lbs. 500lbs hanging a foot out from the bumper could easily lift the front of the F150 somewhat. Bringing the front back down and transferring some weight back to the TT axles will help with overall handling.
You have a 1/2 ton truck even though it's only got the 2.7, so that TT's not going to over power the truck at 4000lbs. BTDT with a similar size TT. 21' and 4000lbs using an 08 F150. Hardly new the TT was there once I got the WD dialed in. Tongue weight was in the 500-550lb range. I used a standard EAZ-Lift with spring bars rated at 400-600lbs along with one friction bar. Of all 3 trailers I owned it was the best and most comfortable tow of them.
Don't let those not in the know discourage you about the 2.7. It may wind out a bit more but you'll be fine. I find that most older RV'ers don't seem to keep up with current trends. All they see is the 2.7 6cyl and think it's something like they have in their Buick..
The 2.7 puts out more power than my 08 F150 5.4 V8. If you said you had a 5.4 then they would think you have plenty of truck. Even though the truck is same size.
Bottom line is, find a simple WDH, get it setup correctly and go camping.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #24

I am quite pleased with my Blue Ox SwayPro.

Thinking back 30 - 40 years ago, I remember the WD hitches creaking and groaning - making an awful racket. Even now, I see people pulling brand new TTs with shiny new TVs making a wretched cacohpany of noise. They went cheap and I imagine they are experiencing significantly more sway.

The Blue Ox Sway Pro is absolutely silent. I have experienced very little sway - other than in exceptionally bad weather.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiles View Post
First time I heard it I was pretty sure the back end of my truck tore off. I take the bars off when we arrive at check in now.
Not really making a sales pitch here are you !!
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #26

The 2.7 is a great engine, specially designed for the F150 from what I heard. It's gotten great reviews.

I almost got one myself, but got the RAM ecoDiesel instead - it has more torque than a V8 and great mileage (I've gotten as much as 31 mpg on the highway, not towing, of course).
Old 07-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #27

I also have the Husky Center line TS. Great WDH!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #28

Meeting with dealer on Monday. They carry the EQ WDH and are recommending the light duty variety which has a 10k# limit and a tongue max of 1k#. That should do it. They feel bad for not installing it and just putting on a standard ball/ hitch so they are drastically reducing the cost. Also, thanks to those words of confidence about the 2.7..I was feeling a little bummed out. It really is a beast of an engine. As I said earlier, the truck pulled fine, it was the trailer that was bouncy and wagging the truck. Hopefully the WDH will resolve the issue. will update soon.
nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow