Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

First Travel Trailer Recommendations

We are looking for our first travel trailer, camping initially then touring far and wide when our daughter goes off to college. Our first priority is durability and longevity (more-so than amenities) as I loathe the whole buying process and the cadre of smarmy sales types.
We are looking at 20 to 25 feet, under 9,000 pounds.
So far I have seen Camplite and Airstream up close.
Anyone have any passionate recommendations they can share?
Thanks much,
Joe Kenney
joekenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekenney View Post
We are looking for our first travel trailer, camping initially then touring far and wide when our daughter goes off to college. Our first priority is durability and longevity (more-so than amenities) as I loathe the whole buying process and the cadre of smarmy sales types.
We are looking at 20 to 25 feet, under 9,000 pounds.
So far I have seen Camplite and Airstream up close.
Anyone have any passionate recommendations they can share?
Thanks much,
Joe Kenney
I'm real happy with my Arctic Fox 22H. I pull it with an '08 Tundra, 4.7L. Works for me.

For you, I'm not so sure. Where are you going to be traveling? Need a 4 season TT? What did you like, didn't like about the 2 you've seen?

More info, will get you better recommendations. Just sayin'!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. If price isn't a big factor and your looking for longevity, then the Airstream would be a good choice, but be sure you get a floorplan that you really like.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are truly looking for durability, look at a 1980's (or 1970's) Avion or Air Stream trailer. These old silver beauties are built like tanks and with a little fixing up, will be a fantastic trailer. The Avions are not as numerous as the Air Stream, but are much better built trailers. The Avions are priced cheaper, so you can put a few $$$ into upgrading, new tires, brakes or axles.

The last of the silver Avions were built in 1990. The Air Streams built in the 1990's are not as well built as the older ones.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #5

Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are helpful.
Joe
joekenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you are truly looking for durability, look at a 1980's (or 1970's) Avion or Air Stream trailer. These old silver beauties are built like tanks and with a little fixing up, will be a fantastic trailer. The Avions are not as numerous as the Air Stream, but are much better built trailers. The Avions are priced cheaper, so you can put a few $$$ into upgrading, new tires, brakes or axles.

The last of the silver Avions were built in 1990. The Air Streams built in the 1990's are not as well built as the older ones.

Ken
I have a aluminum Holiday Rambler travel trailer, 23' and a 1983, tows great and most of all the units original stuff works as new. I also don't much care if I drill a hole in the wall.
I have owned 2 travel trailers, 3 class A motorhomes, 2 campervans and this is the best unit ever. It also has 13 windows.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

Try looking at a cougar.
Stevepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

You have not mentioned budget; we use a 2008 Puma 29RKSS, that has worked well since we bought it in 2009 (used). It has been very durable, pulls great, and while it is not a high end unit, construction seems to be pretty good. If you want a unit with a warranty, you MUST buy new as mfg. warranties do not transfer. You can get a secondary warranty for someone like GOOD SAM though. Ours weighs in around 7400# loaded, and we pull it with a Ram 1500 / gas mileage stays in the 9-11 mpg range. As a retired electrical contractor, I am currently gathering up the pieces to convert it over to 50 Amp, with a secondary 30 Amp service to run electric heat. We will be installing a heating unit in the bedroom and one in the living area. Also we are converting all of the lighting to LED. This past summer, I added a 7' countertop from the kitchen cabinet towards the entrance door; now I have our 26" LED TV centered on the counter and room for a laptop work area on either side. I moved the cable / satellite connection to the front side of the TT, so that the connections would come in under the counter.

My apologies for getting a little off topic; go with your best gut instinct when buying, but go educated ! Look for heating systems that WORK; don't take their word for it. Check the hot water heater operation; look for leaks from plumbing under the cabinets (leaks here are common because they are "screw joints"). We normally keep a plastic container under out sink drains, and every month or so, I will reach under the sink and check for hand tightness. Just be sure not to over tighten as the fittings will crack if too tight.

Also, do not buy a unit if there is evidence of "multiple legged" critters; you almost always get more than you bargained for. Since we bought our used unit in 2009, we have traveled and lived in it full time, and its durability has been a plus for us.

Tags
travel