Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

First Trip

We just brought home our 1st travel trailer today (no damage done but a scary trip... haha) and cant wait to get out on the road. This being our 1st voyage I was hoping to gather some answers to questions we are now struggling with.

Being just South of Chicago, it is still cold here and right now our TT is winterized still and we were wondering when have folks ventured out on their 1st trip of the season without having to winterize again or worry about freezing? We were hoping to get a trip in later this week while the kids were out for Spring Break.

For those of our fellow members in Illinois, where do you recommend staying in the Chicago area? We have 2 younger boys and were hoping for sites with lots of ammenities (heated pools, activities, full hook ups etc... ) I know this information can be gathered on the net but nothing beats the opinions of well traveled vets like there are on this site.

If there was one thing you could not do without what is it??

I know this is a broad question but we have bought lots of things that we thought were essential but we know there is going to be something that just jumps up and bites us for not having, so we thought asking this question here would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for your responses....
Lsanza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
The one thing I could not do with out is knowledge. Knowing the systems, you will encounter problems and you need information. i.e. Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

BTDT.
We started with a pup tent. What we didnt have, we didnt need.
But we progressed, and needed more stuff. But it always came to what we aint got, we dont need.
We have been "bit". But not bad.
Give it time. What you need? Youll figger it out! Everybody is differerent. When camping, it is a lot like home, with better outdoor wallpaper.

Kids? No problem. If there were amenities, they used them. If not, they got by same as at home. They improvised like we did. Woods, a walk, a stick, or a game of kick they always found their attention.

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

As for when to de-winterize, we found the last hard-frost date for our area, added 2 weeks, and went for it!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #5

It all depends on the weather. Some years you can get out in early May. I have lived in the north too long. The campgrounds, swimming pools, state parks, boating season, camping season does not really start until the end of May. Usually Memorial Day.

I am going to try to start camping this colder than normal spring by Mid or late April. Again depends on the weather. I do not want a 'Hard Freeze' after I start camping.

If you go camping this early you should re-winterize which is not that hard to do.

Also make sure the campground is open.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Just trying to help

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...t-date-map.php
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the help...