Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Nice looking rig. I notice your slideouts don't have a cover.

A cover on those would help a lot to keep it cool inside.

As far as sway is concerned...are your truck tires at maximum pressure?

I found lower pressure on my pickup rear tires would cause more sway.
Thank you! Yeah, I was considering slide out covers but was convinced by other local RVers I avoid them down here because of the high winds we normally get. Apparently they tear away and are noisy.

I run my tires at 80PSI (max pressure) when I tow (actually all the time now).

I figured out what my problem was. I didn't have enough pressure on the trunion hard and they weren't creating enough friction. I adjusted the head at an angle to see if that fixes things.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #16

What type of w/d hitch do u have? What anti-sway? I found long ago the dealer did a very poor job of setting up my equilizer brand hitch. I took it to a CAT scale and dialed it in... be sure u load the trailer tongue heavy too... too light if a tongue is dangerous.

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Thank you! Yeah, I was considering slide out covers but was convinced by other local RVers I avoid them down here because of the high winds we normally get. Apparently they tear away and are noisy.

I run my tires at 80PSI (max pressure) when I tow (actually all the time now).

I figured out what my problem was. I didn't have enough pressure on the trunion hard and they weren't creating enough friction. I adjusted the head at an angle to see if that fixes things.
Yes the slide awnings can be noisy, however I've not heard of them tearing off. If the wind is that high you should probably close the slideout. We've done that a couple times where the wind became strong enough to rock the coach.

Got hit by a tornado in Branson one time. Great fun.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
What type of w/d hitch do u have? What anti-sway? I found long ago the dealer did a very poor job of setting up my equilizer brand hitch. I took it to a CAT scale and dialed it in... be sure u load the trailer tongue heavy too... too light if a tongue is dangerous.
Fastway E2 hitch with built in Sway control. I dialed it in today and it towed much better in the wind..
Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
I was considering slide out covers but was convinced by other local RVers I avoid them down here because of the high winds we normally get. Apparently they tear away and are noisy.
I researched slide covers, slide toppers, slide awnings, or whatever you call them. Because they are permanently attached to the slide out unit, I decided against the slide cover. My reason for slide cover was not for reducing heat load on the A/C, but to reduce the noise of rain on the top of the slide out. When it rains, my slide out roof is like a giant drum. I still haven't solved that problem (except for don't camp in the rain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Yes the slide awnings can be noisy, however I've not heard of them tearing off. If the wind is that high you should probably close the slideout. We've done that a couple times where the wind became strong enough to rock the coach.
Perhaps I am adding 2+2 and getting 5, but does your coach stop rocking when you close the slides? If so, I conclude there is something wrong with your stabilizer jack setup.

I have encountered several posts about topper tear offs. They are not as common as awning tear offs or awning collapse. Perhaps because slide toppers are not as common as awnings. For example:
SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sailor Don said:

"Perhaps I am adding 2+2 and getting 5, but does your coach stop rocking when you close the slides? If so, I conclude there is something wrong with your stabilizer jack setup."

Only did that on extreme winds maybe three to four times over the years. On extreme gusts it will rock just a bit.

I haven't seen any slideout topper tearoff threads. Must not be looking hard enough.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #21

I wonder it I could make a radiant (Aluminum cover) for the top of the slides that will pop on and remove when done. Perhap something using the reflective bumble wrap I got from lowes and velcro
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #22

My idea in a diagram

Of course it would need to be removed in reinstalled area trip. But for a cheap modification, it would probably keep a lot of heat out.

Parts list:
1 - 48"x25' Roll of Reflective Bubble Wrap from Lowes: $50
1 - 5'x2" Roll of industrial Velcro from Lows: $9
1 - 2"x50ft Roll of Adhesive Rubber Strip from Lowes: $19
1 - Razor knife (to cut the 2" holes and 4" hole flaps: $2 from Big Lots

If you are use to cleaning your slides off, this would help as well as not add any labor since you already need to get up to clean them off.

I'm sure it would last for more than just a couple of trips and would roll up for easy (and light) storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflective.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	102868  
Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #23

What weight distribution sway control do you have.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Old post. If you look at his signature he now has a 5th wheel.

keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote