Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2015, 04:33 AM   #1
First trip observations

After spending this summer doing repairs and renovations we took our 94 22ft Prowler for a short trip to a local Provincial park. Was surprised by the gross weight 10,440 lbs after going over the local Flying J scale with our Dodge Dakota and trailer. Truck handled well but the trailer brakes seemed to hold too long after I let up on brake.Also wondered about using the tow mode as the roads were level and tach stayed about 1500rpm, when I engaged tow mode tach went to 2000rpm.So was I burning extra gas and helping the drive train or what. [4.7 V8] ? The other observations I made were the noisy water pump and flickering lights.Why would the lights flicker when nothing else was on ? So we had a great trip and are now officially hooked on trailer camping. Any comments will be appreciated

Vallance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
Just remembered some thing to add to my first trip thread. BLACK WATER VALVE. Made a dumb mistake.After cleaning out my tanks I forgot to close the grey water tank valve. OK so I\'m at the dump sight and remove the drain cap and you know what happened. When I recovered and realized it wasn't the black tank flooding out I hooked up the hose but could not open the black water valve ! The leverage angle is awkward at best. Finally got it open.What kind of job to replace valve ?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a total non-tech so I can't help with any mechanical info.

Always remember and never forget, it's all about the journey, not the destination.
1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
1-Brakes that seem to hold on too long: This sounds like you are using a time-based brake controller. The way these controllers work is you step on the TV brakes and a few seconds later the trailer brakes engage. you release the TV brakes and a few seconds later the trailer brakes release. That 2nd delay is what you are experiencing. My experience has been that if you change to a proportional brake controller (tekonsha prodigy 2) you will eliminate this affect as the brake controller works based on the inertia of the vehicle vs time of your foot on the pedal.

2=Noisey water pump: this too is common. Your choices to cure this problem are A)isolate the pump from the camper (ie thick foam rubber or the like) B) isolate the vibrating pipes from the camper (foam wrap) C)install an accumulator tank (http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-181-20...ywords=shurflo). I have tried the extra hose kit from SHURFLo and I cant seem to make it stop the noise.

3-Lights dimming: I have had this on and off too. I think it is related to a batter that is not fully charged (even when plugged in to shore power). Recall that the battery acts as a storage reservoir for 12v power. Some battery charger/power converter units require more battery capacity than others to operate the 12v systems in the RV. If your battery is old and does not have sufficient capacity then you get the shuttering 12v lights when operating a high demand appliance.

4-Black Tank valve: the valve is an easy job to replace. the parts are inexpensive and the job is quick. The part that is difficult about changing valves is A) getting to the valve (ie, it may be in some obscure place) and/or B)having waste left in the tank that you have to deal with when opening up the valve housing. Also, make sure you get the correct diameter valve. an example: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1003...rv+waste+valve ALso, if you have a sticky valve, I have had good luck using COCO lube from Camco. Regular use makes your valve operate smoother.

5-Tow mode: Mainstream thinking is that if your transmission is not constantly shifting up/down then tow haul mode is not required. However, my truck's tow/haul mode does more than just monitor the shifting it also looks at how much I am braking and downshifts to help me slow, etc. So I would encourage you to review your TV manual and/or research the forums for your truck to see others experience with it on or off. I have not experienced the situation you outlined unless going up an incline (could be a very slight incline in my TV).

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your rig in good health!
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Thanks for advice. 1- have an inertial brake controller so will have to figure balancing.2-will try insulation 3- know battery won't hold charge [will get new one in
spring] 4-Will have good look at valve [already tried silicone spray] 5- Will try towing sight for tow mode info. It's these little things that can only be learned by experience that make this such a great forum-----thanks again
Old 10-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Sounds like your tow/haul mode is dropping down a gear when you engage it--just as it is supposed to do. T/H modes usually keep the trans in gears longer to reduce wear/lugging the engine--if you were in O/D gear and you engaged the T/H, the computer sensed the engine was working a little too hard in O/D and downshifted to 4th (Drive). At least thats my guess...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Vallance View Post
Thanks for advice. 1- have an inertial brake controller so will have to figure balancing.4-Will have good look at valve [already tried silicone spray]
1-on the brake controller, I had a problem with my TV brake light switch would not release when I let go of the brake pedal. ie, I am driving away and the brake controller is still applying brake power. I replaced the switch )located by brake pedal arm and problem solved. A quick test to see if this is the problem on your TV is to lift the brake pedal with your foot after you release it.

4-You bring up a good point. There is external lube required on the pull-handle rod (as you noted above). The suggestion I noted is an internal lube. the coco lube takes care of the blade valve/seal surface. The most effective way I found to do this is to drain the tank, close the valve. put the coco lube in and a gallon of water in the tank. open/close the valve as quick as you can to spread the lube into the seals and blade parts of the valve. THe next time you open it it will be smooth as silk. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40246-Dr...amco+coco+lube
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
Tow mode locks your torque converter up a lot sooner too
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
I "Always " tow in Tow/haul mode, it limit the number of shifts the trans has to make ( lower trans. temps ). Replacing the black/grey valves no big deal, 4 bolts.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
A tip you may have already figured out....when you get to your campsite, before you back in, unplug your trailer brakes. That way they aren't grabbing when you are manoeuvring your trailer backwards.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

6.5 lb Chihuahua (Bella)
18ft tt Apex bh
2016 Ford F150,FX4 Scab,5.0 L V8,
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote