Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

First trip was great in new TT - now a few questions

We just returned from our first trip in our new Jayco Eagle 298 TT and had a great time. The Ram 2500 6.4 did a great job at hauling and the Reese bars helped keep it all under control. The weather was absolutely perfect and no biting bugs (rare in NJ). Everything was new to us so it was an exploratory outing to see what worked and what didn't. Add to that the newness of towing a TT and I was overly alert to everything going on around us.

I call the trip an ultimate success when a teenager says they had a great time and want to do it again.

The forum recommendations of a Fuego BBQ grill was spot on for us. Cooking for 3 people and Loved it. Amazon.com : Fuego Element Portable Gas Grill : Freestanding Grills : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The campsite had the water spigot about 60+ feet away - the forum recommendation of take extra water hoses and gaskets - Thanks - saved my bacon!

The site was sandy - need to buy a full size broom and a site rug for outside. We'll have those for next trip. we did bring a door mat to wipe sand off before entering. Helped a lot.

Now for the newbee questions:
- The site was uneven (left/right) by a good amount. I have electronic jacks but they didn't level. I kept putting boards under the downhill side and cranking the jacks up but it never really got level. It got to a manageable slant that we dealt with. #1 am I supposed to put the levelling boards under the jacks or the wheels? I choose the jacks.

- For the 1 lb propane bottles where is a safe place to keep one or two? I am going to get a hookup for the propane outlet on the trailer but an extra 1lb bottle is good to have to put the grill somewhere not close to the bumper. On the boat we always had a PVC tube capped that stored 3 bottles on the back rail so if something ever happened and they vented it would be safely dissipated and not pooled down in the hull waiting for a spark. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciate.

2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

First trip was great in new TT - now a few questions

Franknj, sounds like you had a great first trip. I don't have a good recommendation on the 1lb tanks, but will watch to see what others respond with. As far as leveling side to side, you want to put the boards under the tires. When you get the trailer situated where you want it on the site, check for level side to side. Then place the boards under the tires on the down hill side, pull forward or backward until you are on the boards and check the level again. A lot of folks have bought the links leveling blocks, and they are nice. Once you are level side to side, make sure to chock the wheels and then disconnect from the truck. Then, level front to back with the tongue jack and lastly, drop your stabilizing jacks. You should be all set. Enjoy!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #3

10-4 on the leveling, the jacks are just for stabilizing the trailer, not for lifting/leveling.

Jim
Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies...I see the err of my ways and will do it right next time. I just ordered the links levelling blocks lets see how they work. I'm also working on the 1lb propane bottle solution. The Jayco Eagle has the moulded fiberglass front with the propane tanks behind a door and tucked inside with the bottom open. I think I'm going to do something with the 4" PVC like on my boat. maybe a slit routed into the side of the PVC so I can fit a finger in. I'll post pics if/when I figure it out. Those little bottles are great to have...but I have seen the valve pop/vent and I wouldn't want propane filling the TT floor. In reality the storage on a TT is inside just under the bed. thanks again for the replies.

2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

for the 1# bottles I just put them in with the BBQ. You can get a small plastic tub if you want to keep them from moving. I now have the T for the propane tank and don't have to have them anymore.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

I bought a plastic milk crate type container from Walmart and store the propane bottles, my grill accessories in it in the front storage compartment. Keeps everything secure and not shifting in transit.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #7

We have a cheap rubbermaid container from Walmart. Its big enough to fit the BBQ and 2 1 ib canisters. I threw the lid out as the tub does not need to be as high as the bbq. I use it as a tray for the bbq. This keeps all the ash and dirt that may fall out of the bbq in the container and not messing up the passthrough storage under the bed.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

I have a separate be connection but wanted the bottle to put the BBq away from the tt. I don't want the bottle inside the tt at all. If the valve fails the tt will fill with propane which is heavier than air. So a simple 1 lb bottle in the storage compartment could cause quite a problem. The storage compartment on my tt is under the bed and not air tight. The access doors on the sides of the tt are waterproof with rubber gaskets so to me not a good combo. I think I know what I will do this summer but for now I'll carry it in the bed of the pickup. Thanks for the replies. Today I received the leveling blocks too.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #9

Do you have a generator compartment? They are usually vented to the outside and there is usually enough room to store a 1# propane bottle even if you have a generator.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #10

One other consideration is to get an extension hose for the house propane. I have one with the quick disconnect that gets my grill off the wall and away from the trailer
bjlakatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #11

Where did you go camping at? As far as leveling the trailer I use the orange Lego style blocks under the tires. I keep a smal level in the trailer and then back up on the blocks. The stabilizer jacks are not meant to lift the trailer. Propane options. If your trailer has a gas hookup at the rear I would just get a long hose to connect there. I try to cook far enough away from the trailer to avoid grease getting on it. I also store all my grill accessories in a container but do not leave them in the trailer when not using it as to not attract any rodents smelling what I cooked. We just make a list each trip what we needed and didn't have. A few items I recommend are, extra water and sewer hose, extra power cord and adapters, leveling blocks, wheel chocks. I cut some 6x6 posts in about 6" lengths and use them under my stabilizers. Where in Nj are you also? Happy Camping
Old 05-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #12

Just bought the Lego blocks for the wheels and have cut some 6x2s for under the jacks. And chocks too. Went to turkey swanp. Rustic place - odd campsites but perfect weather and no bugs...rare in jersey. We're in Morris county. The all for the ideas. I need to get a longer hose.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #13

Ok thanks. We're in Hunterdon Co. Enjoy your new camper.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #14

I was having a lot of trouble keeping the trailer from bouncing a I leveled it and found that if I inflate the tires by an extra 10 lbs it seems to do the trick. now I did notice that the dealership had my tires at 70 lbs when the sticker clearly states 50 lbs so if the dealer is using 70 I would think that an extra 10 should be ok. One thing I wanted to express was that when I first started leveling I thought I could use the leveling jacks or stab jacks to do the trick and found that when I put too much force to them I only caused issues with the bathroom door from closing or not opening. I can imagine this could cause some damage to the trailer if you attempt to go too far so I am glad I learned my lesson without causing damage.

This weekend has been crap with all the rain and now I am just too tired to sit out side and its so nice out there!!!

ah, maybe July 4th will be better.