Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
First trip, what a nightmare!

First trip, what a nightmare! We just got back from a nine day stay at Carter Caves State Park in Kentucky.

It was the first trip out with our new Coachmen Freedom Express LTZ 191RB, when we got within five miles from the campground, the TT started to sway a little, so I pulled over and three of the four hubs we’re loose. I drove real slow the rest of the way, this was on a Sunday, so the place where I got it was closed. Then when we got to campground and got all setup, I mean all setup, I went to plug the cord in, and the 30amp outlet was bad, the only other outlet was 110v 20amp.

I went to the office and no one there could fix it, so we took everything down and loaded up and moved to the horse camp that was out in never never land, because they didn’t have anymore spots in the campground. So after we got all setup again, I went to hook the water up and there was no water pressure, so after I took the spigot all apart and cleaned it we had good pressure. Then on Tuesday night we had a storm that took their water pump out, then we had no water at all, so I went to the office again, they was able to get it fixed after a little bit of work.

On Wednesday I made a trip back home to get the tools needed to fix the hubs, this was about three hrs. round trip, when I got back I jacked the tt up and fixed the hubs.

Then the kitchen drain was loose and filled the cabinet with water, so I had to fix that. Then the next night the 2x2 framing under the bed broke, then I had to work on that so we could sleep on it the next night.

Also the AC didn’t work but about half the time, and when it was running it vibrated everything in and on the tt, the awning is a nightmare to close, they got the upper bracket mounted a ½” off. Right now the TT is setting at the dealer.

I think this TT is about the cheapest built thing I have ever seen.
Hitchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
So sorry to hear about all of that, I hope that the dealership will fix you up.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

We full-timed for 7 years, and believe me we have some stories that can top yours. Some one on the road once told me " Your making memories". Now that we only go out on the week ends and sometimes for a couple of months we laugh about all the mistakes and running over toilets, etc we had to deal with. Miss those days. It gets better. Hope you don't let this experience turn you off to the life.
gypsypam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I had so many "memories" being made, I started an RV journal.

Miraculously, the problems lessened as soon as I started it!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Sorry to hear all that. That's no end of aggravating. You put down good money for something brand new, and it gives you grief on the first week.

We were lucky with our Koala 20RB in terms of things not having been put together right. We did get a 12" gash in the fiberglass from road debris in the first 5 miles of our first trip with it though.

As far as things not working, it's the first thing I check, for reasons probably now obvious. Back it into position, hook up the power, make sure that works, check the water, make sure that works. Of course, there isn't much you can do when the water pump and supporting systems have been bubba-built.
homeyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear of your nightmare.

Hang in there though. Stay on your dealer to get everything fixed while still in warranty. It's a pain but it's part of the price we pay for buying new. It does seem that most RV manufacturers use their customers as quality control inspectors but you can either let it eat at you or just breathe deeply and make the dealer and manufacturer get it fixed.

On our local shake down cruise with our new 40DP, our experienced neighbors gave us this advice and I continue to feel it is among the best tips we ever received.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I left out two other things. The shower curtain let water pour through and soaked the floor, so we had to go buy a shower curtain liner. The other thing was the fresh water tank, it was not fastened and would slide from side to side about a foot or so under the tt, when it did it broke the fitting that the fill hose goes on.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I just got off the phone with Coachmen, the first thing I ask them if they had a quality control person in the plant were thy build the Freedom Express LTZ. They said yes, I told them if that is true they need to run them off! I told them that this travel trailer has the worst workmanship of anything I have ever seen, and that I would be ashamed to put my name on it.

After telling them all that was wrong, they said that they would call the dealer and see what they could do to make it right. When I told them about the fresh water tank sliding from side to side more than a foot, he said that was normal, when I ask why you would want it to slide like that, he had no answer, all he could say it was normal.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchpin View Post
I just got off the phone with Coachmen, the first thing I ask them if they had a quality control person in the plant were thy build the Freedom Express LTZ. They said yes,.....
They will always say that. No one checked our 2011 NorthTrail because there all sorts of not-too-serious issues with it. Leaks. Clogged and defective faucets, things like that. I don't believe for one minute these RV companies have QC on their RV lines. If they do, it's for appearances only and the person is given 15 seconds to examine each unit. The quality of the newer RVs is abominable. They want to make the units as cheaply and quickly as they possibly can and ship them out.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hitchpin...wow, I sure do feel for you! I have to say I have had zero problems, but my coach is 10 years old now and I bought it at 9 years old. I sure would be devastated if all that happened to me on my first time out in a brand new unit......

Maybe you should tell them you want a new unit? Did the FW tank sliding cause any damage? Don't let them get away with that kind of workmanship. That is unacceptable to pay hard earned dollars for that kind of a disaster. They need to treat you to another all paid weekend somewhere when everything is fixed....

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW, sorry to hear about your problems. Hope the dealer get's you fixed up. Good luck in the future.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I will assume that no PDI (predelivery inspection) was done or wittnessed? When we picked up our Excel from RV Sales in Moriarity NM they requested almost required us to wittness the PDI then spend at least one night living in the coach on their full hook ups with instructions to use EVERYTHING. In the morning they were ready and willing to fix adjust or repalce anything. Guess what, none needed!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchpin View Post
When I told them about the fresh water tank sliding from side to side more than a foot, he said that was normal, when I ask why you would want it to slide like that, he had no answer, all he could say it was normal.
...or, "they all do that".

Document everything in triplet. What caused the hubs to come loose? No cotter key?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I think that all the mainstream, midpriced rv's are being made cheaper and with less quailty than ever. Seems like the new one I go and look at are made prettier but not nearly as sturdy as they used to be. I know this economy has put a big hurt on the manufacturers, I'm sure all of them cut corners they didn't before. Also, seems like they are all in a race to cut weight out of them. Most advrtised now as 1/2 ton towable, which has got to mean things are made cheaper. Coachmen has always had a good reputation but are now owned by forest river, whic makes some good stuff. However, I think their quality has also dropped. Seems they are making things alot flimsier. I bought my flagstaff used, but have ready alot of issues with customer service with Forest river (mainly not being able to get up with the manufacturer). I would be infuriated by any of those issues u mentioned. Especially the HUBs that could have been a major safety issue.
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote