Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #1

First TT questions

I have been reading post after post on many different forums and sites. My wife and I are current tent campers with two young daughters. Every time we camp we tend to completely fill the rear of our SUV with more stuff than if we were going to a FL beach for the week (we live in western KY). Lately we have been going to RV dealers and absolutely love climbing in every new and used TT. The only issue that we have is that there are absolutely too many makes and models. For every make and mode there are people who say "Stay Away from IT!" Bc of x number of issues. We really just want to find a rig that helps us escape the normal grind of our current reality.

So question number 1: is the TT life truly worth all of the stress of leaky roofs, soft floors, broken electronics/appliances and the unforseen breaks? Question 2: other than floor plan (which we can find great things about anything), what makes a TT worth buying over another? Question 3: is buying used better or worse than buying new with the 25-30% discount if the life expectancy of a rig is 5-10 years (some say life expectancy is 3-6, some say a lifetime if it's taken care of, really have no informed perspective here)

I appreciate any advice for in my mind all of you know way more than I do regarding TT's.
Ready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #2

Despite the horror stories you read we've all bought one or more. Just like homes, cars, and computers stuff breaks. You deal with it.

We started used with disposable income when we decided that backpacking wasn't something we could do every month. A pop up worked great for us. Bear country and longer drives pushed us to the dark side (travel trailer).

Floor plan is critical. But after that the towing, maintenance, and warranty guided our decision. We wanted access to the bathroom and kitchen while on the road. We also wanted to avoid slides. A 25' Jayco met our two person needs.

I'd pay cash for used before financing a new. YMMV. Your first one will be a mistake. The mistake will be floor plan for your family. A used one will make trading easier.

Jump in, the water is fine.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I think you need to go into it knowing that TT are built cheaply, so all will have some problems (Most small ones). Buying used, usually means the prior owner, hopefully, has worked the bugs out and has added some accessories that make your TT more enjoyable.

But depending on your towing capacity, it may lessen your possibility of options when buying. When we bought, we were planning on pulling with our SUV, so that limited our options on weight to pull. The floor plan we liked was hard to find in a lighter TT and when we did found a used one (3 yrs old), it was only $1,000 cheaper then the deal we got on the new one that we bought, so make sure you shop around.

Also remember that these types of forums have more people looking for answers to issues they are having, then praising the good stuff. Just the nature of forums.

Happy Shopping!
wny_clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 AM   #4

Floor plan is critical as noted. Really take your time and sit, lay down, spread out, make sure it fits your style. Everything you add, such as slides, adds weight and complexity. It can also add room and enjoyment.

Regardless of cash or financing, spend lots of time looking at every available nook and cranny of the unit you intend to buy.. iIf it is used, the general appearance of the roof seams and other visual indicators can help you decide if the previous owners took care of it or not. This is called a pre delivery inspection (PDI). Your dealer may balk because of the time it takes. Do it and catch everything you can. Repairs can be costly if not warranteed and time consuming

When you own, pay particular attention to the exterior seams and screws and make sure they are sealed. Water penetration is the enemy.

Everyone says to buy the unit you'll want as your third one, first. I think that's true given our experience. Make sure your tow vehicle is up to the task, as well.

Most of all, enjoy the time in the great outdoors! Hopefully more than you have been in a tent.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #5

All has already been said, but here's my 2 cents.

# 1 Buy used for your first TT, there are a lot of nice used one's out there !

# 2 How much can you "SAFELY" tow ? What's your tow vehicle ?

# 3 Floor plan .

And don't worry, there are lots of us here on the Forum to help you !!!

Welcome to the great life of Travel Trailers !!!!!

Jim & Pat
Old 02-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #6

make sure your proposed tt has a bed big enough. A friend of mine did not pay attention and now does not have the room to add 6 inches to his bed. He has a short queen.
neenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #7

We started with a used tent trailer we could pull behind our SUV before buying a TT. That gave us a feel for it and see if we wanted to spend all our vacations camping before we dropped a lot of coin on a truck and TT. I've seen many 20 year old units in good shape where everything works. It's like buying a house, except for someone who knows where to look, it's easier to identify signs of water ingress.

Our TT is a 2013 and nothing has broken. I did hit a road sign once which put some 15' scratches on the side which required I use a rubbing compound and polish to restore the fiberglass siding.

Our biggest mistake was buying a 1/2 ton. Wish we had gone straight to a 3/4 ton pickup.

Our clothes and dry goods stay in the TT all summer long, packing is a 30 minute affair!

We bought a Nash (made by Northwood ) because of their reputation for building a better unit. They are also noticeably heavier than similar sized TT made in Indiana. I would avoid anything that is labelled as ultralight.

RVs depreciate really fast. I would buy used from an individual for about 50% of the new price. You can also get rvs inspected by mobile rv techs for water damage, seal condition and ensure that all systems are working properly.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the world of travel trailers. The previous posts have provided most of what I tell people I know that are looking into purchasing a trailer. You have been looking so obviously you have seen features you like and don't like. When we purchased our current TT we made a list of must haves in order of priority. We also had a list of deal breakers (#1 on this list might be trailer weight you can tow with your current vehicle to avoid having to upgrade that as well). Then start shopping. Like others we started with a used unit and it was an excellent starter. Gave us no troubles. It also provided us with an upgraded list of must haves for the next one and the next one...... The problems you have read about are out there but there are many that don't have problems no different than vehicles. Maintenance is another item to consider. If you are handy, like to do the work on your trailer and have the time then you can do much on your own. These forums are full of good info on a variety of maintenance items and mods that can be done. If you don't have lots of spare time to do the work invest some time into finding a good service business. My line of work does not afford me a lot of spare time when the weather is nice so I found a great service business and when I don't have the time I take it there. It's all up to the individual's choice. We had similar concerns starting out and we have really enjoyed using our TT. Have fun.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #9

Great Info

I do truly appreciate all of the responses. It seems I need to get out there and find what works best for our family, without constantly thinking about the doom and gloom stories and nay sayers.
Ready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2 View Post
I do truly appreciate all of the responses. It seems I need to get out there and find what works best for our family, without constantly thinking about the doom and gloom stories and nay sayers.

Now you're talkin'. Enjoy!!
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I base my used purchases as much on my "feel" of the owners as the unit. If they feel shady or like they are withholding information I pass. Anything used is only as good as the last owners maintenance. As far as new I do not want to lose all that depreciation money when I can buy one that has already done that and already had the kinks worked out. The one consistent complaint is that Manufacturers warranties leave a lot to be desired and buying used takes that out of the equation.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2 View Post
Yes, its time to get out and get going to find your AWAY! Hope you have lots of fun building family and friendship memory's once you find that perfect RV. Stay safe and happy searching. [emoji3]
Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #13

We bought this beast for $3,500 cash,our budget was $4,000. It was much larger than I wanted to tow,however it was the only one out there for the price and condition. Was quite the eyesore but the interior was very clean and well taken care of. No leaks,updated floor,frig,water heater,and light fixtures throughout. Got twelve trips out of her and sold for $3,000 that we used toward our brand new TT! I say, get what you can tow/afford cash and go from there! You will know EXACTLY what you want/ need! Good luck hope this helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	153292
grmaestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #14

My wife and I started our camping life in a fold down, my parents. We loved the fact that we were off the wet ground, and had a fairly decent bed to sleep on. Bought a fold down of our own and graduated to a small TT when the kids came along and we needed heat and potty. Now as grandparents we still are in a TT, much larger for sure, and I have some perspective I'll gladly share. To the point:
1. Don't buy junk
2. If it looks bad it is
3. Used is ok, abused isn't.
4. Buy larger than you need right now.
5. Make sure your TV will handle your TT weights, they are heavier than you think. Tires are very important.
6. Have a good place to store your RV, whatever it is. At home is best.
7. New isn't always better, start with used and learn what you would like to have in your TT and find those features in your next one.
8. Don't exceed your budget. Hot dogs are great but not all the time!
9. Find a way to love working on your TT, it is a lifetime job. None are perfect.
10. Buy functionality, not looks. For us that meant the following; Large living room area, recliners-no jackknife couches which are very uncomfortable, large bathroom/shower, great HVAC system, very little carpet, decent storage area for gear/fishing poles/grill, etc. we looked until we found a new unit and bought it as our last unit. I love working on it and expect that we will wear out before it does.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote