Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That trailer's a little long for the lighter-weight 1/2 ton pickup maybe, as in the tail is wagging the dog. Look into sway control, or learn how to use what you have for that now.

Also play with increasing some of the tire pressures until you reach max tire pressure. You might also need LT rated tires if the tires you have are P rated.

Do you have TPMS for the trailer? It could be a life saver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Hard to tell from your pic, but that looks a lot like my Husky WD hitch, and the trailer looks to be close to 30'. Unfortunately, I can't see whether you've got anti-sway on there. If it's a Husky, their manuals call for TWO sway bars for anything longer than 26', one on either side of the hitch.

Having said that, your rig looks pretty close to level (maybe a little nose up on the TV), so I'm guessing your hitch & WD are set up pretty well. If so, the only issue should be sway control.

So the question is, what's your sway control situation?

Roger
I have a sway bar on the curb side. I was told to tighten it with "two fingers"...I crank it a little tighter but not so much that I bend the plate.

I run the air bags about 30-35lbs...when it gets bad I punch the button up to 55-60lbs. That helps...a little. My Air-Lift 5000 system is good for 100lbs in bags although I've never had them close to that.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
As others have mentioned but, I'd also add look at your tire pressures, low pressure will also cause fish tailing, along with excessive speed, how fast are you towing?
I run the tires close to max on the sidewalls. The F150 has the stock P275/55R20s on it. Same size in a "LT" might help...?

Only run 65 once in a while...mostly around 60. I had to slow to 50-55 a lot going across NM & AZ on I40...twice in one month!

We are thinking about going to a 5th wheel. Possibly a light one made for 1/2 tons...but probably a F250 diesel.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The P tires have very flexible sidewalls for driving comfort. LT tires have stiffer sidewalls and can have a higher carrying capacity. You will likely notice the difference immediately. I wouldn't blame you for not switching the tires out until the current ones need replacement, but I don't think they're helping.

If you're thinking 250/2500 for a 5er, seriously consider a 350/3500. Not much difference in price from the 3/4 ton truck. No one has ever complained about having a little too much truck, especially when towing.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, 5er and 1/2 ton do not go together well. Have to make em pretty flimsy to be light enough.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The P tires have very flexible sidewalls for driving comfort. LT tires have stiffer sidewalls and can have a higher carrying capacity. You will likely notice the difference immediately. I wouldn't blame you for not switching the tires out until the current ones need replacement, but I don't think they're helping.

If you're thinking 250/2500 for a 5er, seriously consider a 350/3500. Not much difference in price from the 3/4 ton truck. No one has ever complained about having a little too much truck, especially when towing.
I think if I went with a F350/3500 it would be a SRW. I had a RAM diesel dually, Longhorn 3500, great truck for pulling the 40' Cardinal we had...hated to drive it in crowded parking lots.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting you go DRW with the one ton. Just saying that the difference in purchase price isn't that much, and it gives you a very nice capacity cushion with a small 5er, but is also there already for a larger unit if you end up with one, sooner or later.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #22

I think you have the cart before the horse. 1st most 1/2 ton 5th wheels are smaller and you'll compromise layout and CCC. If you're seriously looking at getting a 5th wheel, why not get the 3/4 or 1 ton truck 1st? Then you can get a larger 5th wheel with more amenities for not much more money.
Also if you're looking at a diesel you'll find that with a 3/4 ton you won't have much for payload. Diesel 3/4 tons generally have around 2100-2200lbs for payload. A 1 ton will give you 3500-4000lbs for payload.

As to your TT sway issue. You need two of the sway bars for any TT 26' and longer. Also you should really be using a friction based sway control WD. Like a Reese or Equalizer. Air bags shouldn't be needed on the ruck if you have a properly set up WD. You're making the bags do what the WD should. According to Ford you need to return the front of the truck to 50% or less of the difference between hitched and unhitched.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
I have a sway bar on the curb side. I was told to tighten it with "two fingers"...I crank it a little tighter but not so much that I bend the plate.

Whoever told you that doesn't have a clue. The handle is for turning the sway control on and off, the bolt is for adjusting it. Read the instructions.

I think that the plate you mentioned is actually the flat spring, if you don't bend it there is no significant friction.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Bigger truck.
As usual----there's no problem that can't be cured with a BIGGER TRUCK!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
As usual----there's no problem that can't be cured with a BIGGER TRUCK!
You don't see 3/4 ton guys coming on RV forums complaining about TT tow problems. Maybe 1 out of 50. 8400lbs and 31' is too much for a 1/2 ton. Only a couple 1/2 tons made are capable of towing that TT. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree you are pushing the limits and would ultimately be better off with a bigger truck but with the hitch set up properly you should have no big issues. I believe you probably have too little tongue weight and possibly not transfering enough weight through the hitch plus don't have the sway control loaded enough.

Go to youtube and search for "setting up xxxx weight distribution hitch" for good visuals.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Bigger truck.
Smaller trailer?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bigger truck == smaller trailer ???

I have a bigger truck and smaller trailer, and it tows so nice. The only time I don't like towing is on CALIFORNIA FREEWAYS!!!