Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Smaller trailer?
LOL, yeah that's an idea. That's too easy though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Whoever told you that doesn't have a clue. The handle is for turning the sway control on and off, the bolt is for adjusting it. Read the instructions.

I think that the plate you mentioned is actually the flat spring, if you don't bend it there is no significant friction.

This is the setup that came with the trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...49901_1000.jpg[IMG][/IMG]

No instructions, just showed me how to hook it up. They said to leave 3 chain links loose...it handles better if I have 4 loose links. They said to tighten handle as much as you can with 2 fingers. I crank it another full turn after that. Have never seen written instructions.

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #31

YouTube is your friend.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post

No instructions, just showed me how to hook it up. They said to leave 3 chain links loose...it handles better if I have 4 loose links. They said to tighten handle as much as you can with 2 fingers. I crank it another full turn after that. Have never seen written instructions.
The installation instructions are on eTrailer's website.

I have never seen proper adjustment instructions for any friction sway control. The HANDLE is can be tightened with as many fingers as you want, just simply tighten it. The BOLT is the adjustment, is says so right on the label. I test my adjustment by driving on a vacant road and watch the trailer when I give the steering wheel a quick correction. Tighten the BOLT a quarter turn at a time till the trailer no longer swings more than expected. Most folks never adjust properly and just complain, saying you need an expensive hitch.

About the links, you are talking about apples and oranges, the sway control and the weight distribution are two separate products. Again, the instructions are on the same website. I guess that nothing has been setup correctly.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #33

Most dealers don't bother with much adjustment. They bolt it on and if the trucks front wheels are still on the ground they say "you're all set"!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Most dealers don't bother with much adjustment. They bolt it on and if the trucks front wheels are still on the ground they say "you're all set"!
Yup...I think that's what happened.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
The installation instructions are on eTrailer's website.

I have never seen proper adjustment instructions for any friction sway control. The HANDLE is can be tightened with as many fingers as you want, just simply tighten it. The BOLT is the adjustment, is says so right on the label. I test my adjustment by driving on a vacant road and watch the trailer when I give the steering wheel a quick correction. Tighten the BOLT a quarter turn at a time till the trailer no longer swings more than expected. Most folks never adjust properly and just complain, saying you need an expensive hitch.

About the links, you are talking about apples and oranges, the sway control and the weight distribution are two separate products. Again, the instructions are on the same website. I guess that nothing has been setup correctly.
I did some searching late last night and found the site you're talking about. I printed all the instructions for weight distribution hitch as well as the sway control bar. I've never seen that or heard what it's saying. After reading it I'm sure it was never set up and that I've been fed a load of @#$$%^.

Trailer's in for a few warranty issues so when I get it back I'll go through the instructions and try to set it up right.

These forums are a gold mine of info! What ever you want to know...someone has already been through it and knows the (or most) answers. THANKS!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #36

A friend of ours has a 25 ft Zinger. He bought a new f150 V8 to tow it and specifically told the salesman he was towing a trailer and need the trailer tow pkg. at low speeds (around town and back country roads) no problem, but hitting the highway it was squirrelly. Finally he checked his tires...P of course. His dealership wouldn't help. He was able to trade his barely used P tires at a tire place and got Lt tires. Now he tows without problems. Tires can make a big difference. Our new truck came with Lts on it. You have got to double check...the sales people quite often don't understand what you need for travel trailer towing.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #37

My brother in law bought his and they sent him home with his f150 sagging in the back and his camper sagging in the front. Easy fix I tightened the bars. My camper came back high in the front so I had to adjust the ball then the bars. I learned a lot on this site from reading in the towing section.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Whoever told you that doesn't have a clue. The handle is for turning the sway control on and off, the bolt is for adjusting it. Read the instructions.

I think that the plate you mentioned is actually the flat spring, if you don't bend it there is no significant friction.
I have a CURT Equalizer w/ sway control. My instructions are not really telling me anything - how tight should I have the bolt with handle in the on position? Being the TT is 24' and being pulled by 3/4T Dodge diesel, the setup may be overkill, but since my wife will be pulling the TT with this setup (I'll be pulling toys behind other truck), I want it to be as safe as possible for her.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1961 View Post
I have a CURT Equalizer w/ sway control. My instructions are not really telling me anything - how tight should I have the bolt with handle in the on position? Being the TT is 24' and being pulled by 3/4T Dodge diesel, the setup may be overkill, but since my wife will be pulling the TT with this setup (I'll be pulling toys behind other truck), I want it to be as safe as possible for her.

On 8/12 I wrote this:

I have never seen proper adjustment instructions for any friction sway control. The HANDLE can be tightened with as many fingers as you want, just simply tighten it. The BOLT is the adjustment, is says so right on the label. I test my adjustment by driving on a vacant road and watch the trailer when I give the steering wheel a quick correction. Tighten the BOLT a quarter turn at a time till the trailer no longer swings more than expected. Most folks never adjust properly and just complain, saying you need an expensive hitch.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #40

I'm getting the Hummingbird 17', towing with F350, do I need to add something for this issue? The dealer said they would take care of it, but what should I be expecting to get? Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #41

When do you see fishtail on the trailer.

flat land?
down hill?
speed?
wind conditions?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalker409 View Post
I'm getting the Hummingbird 17', towing with F350, do I need to add something for this issue? The dealer said they would take care of it, but what should I be expecting to get? Thoughts?
If you're towing the 17' Hummingbird behind an F350, I doubt you will have much issue. Just get the hitch set up so the trailer tows level.