Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #15

Thanks for all the comments. I think I have a much better understanding now. In our 35+ years of rving I have never seen any wrapped cupboards that showed wear or peeling so was really not understanding what the issue was.
As Mr_D points out it seems the bigger issue isn't really the finish but rather how the hinges and screws are installed and whether they will rattle loss. Less likely if they are screwed into wood as opposed to fibreboard.
Will keep searching different manufacturers. I am sure we will find the right one. Northwood and Outdoors RV seems to have quality and come in a size that will fit with the F350. Will let you know how it all works out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #16

I have had high end trailers with beautiful cabinetry which had wrapped face frames. I have often felt they did it to better match their doors and drawer fronts to the frame to give a more cohesive look. One test I use for quality cabinetry is the lack of gimp moldings on the ceiling transitions. I find that if they take time to size the cabinet to the trailer properly they most like showed care elsewhere. I also check for the use of baltic birch for drawer construction and that the drawer slides are side mounted instead of plastic hangars in the rear. Curved panels are popular and quality construction of these will have zero deflection if pushed on. 1/4" thick curved panels are a no-no. It doesn't take long to detect quality cabinet construction.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandyApple View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I think I have a much better understanding now. In our 35+ years of rving I have never seen any wrapped cupboards that showed wear or peeling so was really not understanding what the issue was.
As Mr_D points out it seems the bigger issue isn't really the finish but rather how the hinges and screws are installed and whether they will rattle loss. Less likely if they are screwed into wood as opposed to fibreboard.
Will keep searching different manufacturers. I am sure we will find the right one. Northwood and Outdoors RV seems to have quality and come in a size that will fit with the F350. Will let you know how it all works out.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find fiber board in anything but the lowest of the low end. Most everything built with the exception of the high end DVR types have solid wood thats wrapped with vinyl.

The biggest issue will be screws that are stripped. The wood used for the frames isn't a hard wood. Over zealous workers can strip screws pretty easy.

The other thing I look for is drawer and large cabinet door construction. Northwood and Jayco are the only ones that use a 5/8 piece of plywood for the front drawer box. At least from what I've seen at RV shows. Most just use the same 3/8" that used on the sides.
Not even all the high end units use thicker wood. I also like to see how solid the larger cabinet doors are built. The ones that're narrow and tall. When you pull on them do they go "thwang" and shake?

When looking, and you probably already know, they'll all have some quirk somewhere. I try and look past the small stuff, things that I can fix or tweak myself. If I tied to find the perfect RV I never own one.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KandyApple View Post
I see your point. I hadn't considered this.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote