Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Flex Seal for roof?

Our trailer is now two years old and I am somewhat nervous about the roof. We've had no leaks and my last inspection did not disclose any obvious needs for caulking. That being said I am considering an application of some type of sealer over the seams as a preventive measure. I have been thinking about the product flex seal or the rustoleum product like it. What have you guys used as a preventive measure on your roof seams? We are still going to be camping in this outfit for a while longer as we continue our search for a fiver that fits our truck and personal needs. That could take some time and I want to keep our current rig in good shape until then. And at the end of the day we may not "upgrade at all" ... any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy Trails.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Our trailer is now two years old and I am somewhat nervous about the roof. We've had no leaks and my last inspection did not disclose any obvious needs for caulking. That being said I am considering an application of some type of sealer over the seams as a preventive measure. I have been thinking about the product flex seal or the rustoleum product like it. What have you guys used as a preventive measure on your roof seams? We are still going to be camping in this outfit for a while longer as we continue our search for a fiver that fits our truck and personal needs. That could take some time and I want to keep our current rig in good shape until then. And at the end of the day we may not "upgrade at all" ... any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy Trails.
raytwntrvlr
IMO those "magic sealers in a can" are far from magical.

I use only "Eterenabond tape": EternaBond,
and "Dicor self leveling lap sealant": http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...FXRk7AodJAkAGg, on my 18 year old roof.

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

I wouldn't do anything to the roof except wash it once a year and check for leaks. You need to either read your manual or go online to the manf site and see what their recommendations are for maintenance is for your particular roof.

This is the recommendation for EPDM from their roofing site.

8. Does EPDM require systematic maintenance or additional coatings or treatment to achieve its life expectancy?
No. No special coating or other surface treatment is required. General maintenance in the form of good housekeeping should periodically be performed to remove debris and leaves, and to investigate the performance of other components. - See more at: General Questions | EPDM Roofing Association
Old 12-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd want to know how UV resistant Flex Seal is before I put it out where the sun will beat down on it all day. My guess, since I'm normally very skeptical about "Seen On TV" items is it won't be worth the money.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Spray on silicone sealants should be for temporary control. Use a product designed to be used on a RV roof. Re-Read Post #2.

Wash roof on a semi-annual basis with mild dish washing soap, perhaps a bit of bleach, and a soft brush (maybe). Check for cracks, edges of sealant coming up.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

I would be cautious using bleach it could or will cause streaks on the side walls. If it is a rubber roof use Dicor self leveling roof sealant for additional sealing when necessary. Some people use 303 Protectant on the roof after washing. Others use Dicor roof treatment. Both are good.
Go to Dicor's website to see their roof care procedures. Follow them.
Stay away from the Flex Seal, they will be out of business just when you would need them to warranty their product.

Tags
roof, seal