Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #1

Ok, I didn't do this myself but took it to a shop and he flipped the axles and welded another saddle (I think this is the right terminology)

Now when I pull my 16 foot travel trailer behind my suburban it doesn't feel as smooth. Almost feels like it is bouncing when we hit bumps. Is this to be expected? Have I made things worse.
suebruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #2

Ok, I didn't do this myself but took it to a shop and he flipped the axles and welded another saddle (I think this is the right terminology)

Now when I pull my 16 foot travel trailer behind my suburban it doesn't feel as smooth. Almost feels like it is bouncing when we hit bumps. Is this to be expected? Have I made things worse.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
First of all Welcome to iRV2 !
And you have a good question.

When you raise the trailer you have changed the ride, but both times i've 'flipped my axles' on trailers, it helped the tow. But that was with load. Have you put some stuff in it yet and tried the tow?? Was your Suburban too high for the trailer originally?

let us know what the particulars are,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:49 AM   #4

Last year I towed the trailer with a Ford F150 and two things were a problem... one, it seemed to hard on the truck... two, it was so low to the ground that my stabilizer bars were almost touching the ground.

Over the winter I bought a 3/4 ton suburban and it was too high... the back end of the trailer was now really low.

No I haven't put my stuff in the trailer yet as I have been in panic mode and wondered if I needed now to get rid of the trailer. I am a fairly self suffient mom who thought this wouldn't be too hard... but I don't want to create a dangerous situation for me and my kids and so now I am wondering if I was kidding myself that I could get the problem fixed.

I think my biggest problem is I still have so much to learn about the mechanics of a trailer and I don't really have anybody that can guide and educate me. I think I might have been too trusting in the welding shop that they would have told me if this was a bad idea once they had looked underneath.

I hope I haven't left out any pertinent details that might help with diagnosing the problem...If you need more to go on... let me know.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:59 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by suebruce:
Now when I pull my 16 foot travel trailer behind my suburban it doesn't feel as smooth. Almost feels like it is bouncing when we hit bumps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Is you trailer now noticeably "nose low" when hitched to the Suburban? When it rides nose high, the wheels are forced up into the springs when you hit a bump - the axis of suspension travel will be up and slightly to the rear. If you are noticeably nose low now, the axis of suspension travel has rotated such that the wheels and axles will want to move up and slightly forward when you hit a bump. This effectively reduces suspension compliance and will subjectively make the trailer seem to ride "harder".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:03 AM   #6

The only way to tell if adding the extra spring did change your ride, is to load your gear back in and tow it around a little. Flipping the axles should not make it bounce, but adding another spring will. One spring can make a heck of a difference, especially an empty trailer. Mike
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Mike,

I've read this thread 3 more times and can't find any reference to an added spring, just welding on new spring perches on top of the axles when they were relocated. Can you point out the passage that gives you the impression that a spring leaf has been added? You're right - if that's the case, it could certainly make a difference!

Thanks,

Rusty
Old 05-03-2005, 05:50 AM   #8

She also posted this at RV.net, in that post she stated another spring was added. I don't know why she didn't mention it here.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Oh.....hard to make an analysis without the whole story!!

Rusty
Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #10

Sorry guys... didn't mean to leave out information. Is a saddle the same as a spring? The welder told me that he welded a new saddle on.

As far as I can see when I am hitched up... the trailer and suburban are now all level. I don't see any nose low issues... if it is there it is not really that noticable.

I have phoned the welder this morning and he does not think any thing he has done should make a difference but told me I could bring it buy and he will take a look.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:06 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
If he added a spring leaf in each pack, the spring rate will increase and the trailer will ride harder, especially unloaded. This could well be the source of the "bouncing" you describe.

Rusty
Old 05-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #12

Ok thanks RustyJC... I will load it up this weekend and take it for a ride and see if it improves.

I will try and report back if a solution has been found so that I can contribute to the forum.

From reading your last thread I got the impression I was frustrating some of you more knowledgeable guys... and I just want to say I tried to include all the information and apologize if it made anyone exasperated. I do appreciate all the advice/input and know that as I learn more about this whole RV world I may have more questions.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Nope, no offense taken and please don't take offense on your side. It's just that we need to know everything that changed if we're going to be able to help you. Addition of a spring leaf (if it happened) is a very important, if not the critical, consideration in analyzing your problem.

Good luck with your test run...let us know how it goes.

Rusty
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #14

One more question RustyJC. Is a springleaf different than a saddle?