Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #1

folding table

I have seen some RV's and TT's that have little folding tabletops that are mounted against a wall, usually around the sink our countertop area. They fold out and give a little extra space for preparing food etc. I have a 99 Jayco Eagle 26FBS. The kitchen area has a counter that juts out a little at maybe a 45 degree angle where the sink is. There is not a lot of room or counter space for much at all.....the stove and sink take up most of the counter area. Just to the left of my sink, there is an area that is approximately 16" wide that is being unused. Behind this area is the under sink cabinetry. This would be a perfect place for a small tapletop that attaches to the side of the cabinet with a hinge and folds up with some type of support under it. I have searched the net without good results......just haven't found the correct website yet. I guess I could make something that would probably turn out better and stronger than anything I could buy, but I'd like to see what is available aftermarket. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Alex
ANiforos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
GPW

Alex, some small TV trays work super and don't require any "engineering"...
or check www.mikenchell.com , the TD folks ... They're always building folding tables...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I was in a fellow's 1999 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS where he did what you're asking about by removing the folding television shelf in the bedroom and attaching it to the end of the kitchen cabinet. See floorplan below.

The only possible problem I see is if you have the Hide-A-Bed (which I have) instead of the J-Steel sofa. When open, the Hide-A-Bed just about touches the cabinet and if you had a folding shelf attached there, it could interfere with the operation and/or use of the bed.

We rarely used the folding television shelf in our bedroom but recently discovered that our cat enjoys sleeping on it when opened.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

You may construct your own shelf to your specifications using http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Shelf-...637467&sr=1-12
Another source is Ace Hardware.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #5

This is the one I installed. Works great, has a piano hinge.
Oak Accents Countertop Extension - Item - Camping World
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #6

I used to own a designer Jayco 5er. I also needed more counter top in the kitchen. I contacted Jayco and got the laminate # from them that they used, it was a wilson art laminate, and ordered a piece from a local supplier. Then, some oak trim, contact cement, a sheet of MDF. and a router and I had exact copy of the existing counter top. Next, a piano hinge and some hardware just made for fold down tables at home depot. I had an exact copy of what was there and addded 4 square feet of counter.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #7

Thanks so much for all the advice and sources. I think I am going to opt for the folding shelf brackets and make my own. Save a few dollars plus I always like the satisfaction of making something myself.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #8

Here is another suggestion to add space. I purchased a large piece of tile from Home Depot. It was just the right size to fit on top of my 3 burner stove. It makes a great cutting board or storage space when the stove is not in use. When the stove is needed, I place the tile on edge leanning aganist the bottom cabinets or the wall. To keep the tile from rattling or slipping during travel, I glued a piece of the ruber shelf papper stuff to the bottom.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Thank you all for some great input. I didn't think I would be able to complete this project before I left on my trip, but I was able to find the folding brackets at a huge hardware store in a neighboring little town. $16.00 for the package. One package came with two brackets and it was exactly what I needed. About 15 years ago I purchased several boards that were taped together at a local salvage store. They had been sitting in my basement all these years. They looked like the part of a countertop that you cut out for the double sink in a kitchen cabinet. Anyway, I was able to use one of those after I cut it down to the size I needed. I went to Lowes Home Improvement and bought one piece of vinyl 18 x 18 inch stick on tile. It fit perfectly without having to trim it at all. Home Depot did not have any vinyl tile larger than 12 x 12 inches. I will post a picture of the project when I get back from my trip. I don't think I have ever had a project come together so quickly and with no kinks.