Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Forest River BKIS Roof Mold

Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or know what the cause of this roof mold is. I purchased this trailer new in February and about 3 months ago noticed these black lines across the width of the roof. The mold is only where the plywood roof panels join with the next panel. There is also mold on all sides of the roof where the edge of the plywood meet the side walls, just above the gutters. These areas are not low points in the roof and have only come up at the edges of the plywood. My thought is that it might be a defect either with the rubber roof or a chemical that is seeping from the edges of the plywood. This isn't my first trailer and I have never seen this before. I am fearful that it will break down the rubber or cause some major issues for years to come. Since purchase this trailer has had numerous issues. The slide out we're missing seals, the rubber weather strips were not properly installed. All the windows were Un sealed. Recently I found under the trailer that the wrap used to enclose the floor and floor insulation is missing a 2' x 2' section with insulation falling out. Any ideas or knowledge on this is appreciated. Thank you for your time. Pictures below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4250511911.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	51866

Name:	image-844638936.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	51867

Name:	image-905377793.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	51868

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

It won't hurt anything, it's very robust EPDM.
Just wash and treat it regularly.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

I do not believe it is anything to worry about. I would clean it good then give it a coat of 303 protectant the keep an eye on it. I am assuming you have alot of trees in the area so it could be tree sap but its funny how it is in straight lines.
I had a mysterious straight line a red color show up on the drivers side of my camper from end to end. It was up high so no way somebody could have done it with out a ladder and it was almost like a chalk line had been popped. Weird somethings are not explained.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

We onlt got out Forest River trailer at the end of August. Looks clean so far but at this point with the cold we won't be see anything till next summer with the heat and humidity.

As for the wrap ours looks good with no gaps like that.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

I received word today from forest river and the roof manufacturer, it's an alpha ply roof. The manufacturer has explained that the streaks are a chemical reaction but somehow it's only cosmetic. They have instructed the dealership to clean the stained areas with bleach for 10 minutes then scrub with a brass bristled brush. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I think that is totally insane!!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #6

I forgot that they used Alpha Ply TPO roofing. I wouldn't use the brass brush though.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #7

I would say if you take it to the dealership and they clean it, I would take a boat load of photos. In every angle possible to show where the cleaning took place, how it looked when you drop it off. My instant thought was fine, they scrub the heck out of it and then when you pick it up it is paper thin and leaks. I would also establish before the procedure that if it leaks what they are going to do about it in the future. Get it all in writing as well, if you can. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #8

It's pretty hard to scrub a roof thin. I've never been able to.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #9

You probably have aluminum rafters at the mold lines. The metal causes condensation to form, supporting the mold growth. I have used the cheap Dollar Store spray cleaner with bleach with great results. Forget the brass brush, that is just crazy. Get a long handled truck washing brush.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Here is Dicor info. on cleaning the roof:

http://http://www.primetimerv.com/do...dandMildew.pdf Says Tilex is okay.

The manufacturer's brochure indicates your roof and wall framing is all wood. I would agree with heat transfer if aluminum trusses, but you wouldn't think it would happen with wood. Maybe it's something to do with the detail of the roof deck to truss connection and/or how well the insulation is done. Maybe the insulation isn't tight to the rafters at the roof deck?? Mold likes to grow where it is warmer (and wet). It thrives where there is organic matter so there must be something in your local environment falling onto the roof. I would use an RV cover when in storage or park it under a roof, which will also reduce black streaks on the sides.

It looks like the roof has a 12 year warranty. I would say not to worry about it as the roof may (will?) outlast other things in your trailer.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote