Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #1

Forest River Flagstaff??

Hi guys, I'm new here and my wife, kids and I have been looking seriously at trailers. I've towed vehicles before but never a TT, this will be our first. I know we have lots to learn.
We started out looking in the $10K range but wanted a slide out and newer model, well... that got us looking even higher. We looked at a 2010 Flagstaff 831rkss. We love it, the outdoor kitchen almost seals the deal alone. It's set up the way we wanted, three rear bunks should suit our 4 and 6 year old tyrants fine. Plus lots of room for friends.

So my question is for around $25K how's this trailer, model and brand? It seems to have good construction and the fixtures and peripherals seem to be upgraded as well. Our worries in buying a less expensive trailer is we may want to upgrade sooner than later and don't want to lose money that fast. I think this is a unit we could grow into rather than out of.

My only other concern is the length, it says 33ft but also says 31ft, I'm guessing 33ft tounge to tail. We started looking at 26 footers but couldn't find the floor plan we liked so the 30 footers came into view. Is a 33footer that much harder to move around than a 26 footer? I know the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up but still...

Our tow rig is an Excursion with airbags so we should be fine there. Thanks for all your help. Like I said, we have alot to learn and will be here absorbing all we can.
locknload223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #2

Once had a 30 foot Holiday Rambler, towed it with a E350 Ford Van. I will never suggest towing that large a TT ever again. Unless you spend a lot of money for a hitch system like the Hensley Arrow you will quickly discover a lot of discomfort in your towing. This is a hugh box running down the road and sway is a big issue.
Now as for the Flagstaff line of RV's, if they are like the rest of the Forest River products, you will get a lot of value for the dollar.
What motor does your Ex have? Have you actually loaded the family and all the junk normally on board for travel and hit the scales yet? Please do that first and then make your best estimated guesses on trailer size/weight based on how much weight you have left over between the scaled weight and the trucks GCWR.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

My Excursion has the 7.3 PowerStroke w/mods. About the fullest I've had the Ford is when I towed my 4Runner from WV to Moab, Ut and back with two other guys and a weeks work of gear. The truck has 35" tires and airbags, it towed that set up very stable. I know it's no where close to the huge shoebox we're looking at but I thought that was a good baseline.

We're kinda stuck with a tag-along. If we had an actual pickup then a 5er maybe be another option.

As far as GVW of the truck, it will just be plus us four humans, all other gear will be in the TT. Thanks for your advice.

**EDIT** Forgot to add the TT weights, dry- 6,270 and 8,587.
locknload223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #4

Flagstaff puller

I work at a rv dealership and drive a 01 Excursion with a V-10. You can pull anything you want with that truck. I have sold plenty 31RKSS Flagstaffs to customers who have 1/2 ton pickups and they pull them fine.
Berryland is offline   Reply With Quote