Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Forest River Surveyor

Wanting to buy a Forest River Surveyor 294QBLE.

What can you tell me about build quality and construction?

Is it a good purchase for 3 season camping (Spring, Summer, Fall)?

acanania is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
I was looking at a surveyor and eventually settled on another brand. I was close to pulling the trigger when I started reading into weight ratings of the tires and axles on the trailer and found them to be marginal. That may have been just for that particular model but we plan on a lot of gravel road use and preferred something more robust

2009 Deleted Duramax 2500hd
2016 ORV Creekside 23dbs
1 Wife, 2 Kids, 1 Dog
Sparechange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Jayco Owners Club
I owned a 2012 Surveyor SV-264 travel trailer for 4 years. It's maiden voyage was when my job changed unexpectedly right after I bought it. I lived in it for 2 months without a single even minor problem. However over 4 years use, I did do a lot of repairs. Some would consider replacing the kitchen sink a major repair. I replaced it with a stainless steel model and thought it was pretty minor. I did them myself because it was easier and faster than returning it to the dealer... I really don't trust the dealership 'techs" anyway from all the horror stories... and I'm handy so it's just easier to do it myself. All in all I think it was a good trailer, and I did maintain it well. It left a week ago today to it's new owners and I had no problem selling it... but it was very clean, and not faded due to it's life in covered storage and my belief in maintenance. Surveyors aren't the best out there but my experience says they're far from the worst. I pick up my new one Wednesday after researching TTs for 2 years. I'm sure the repair frequency will increase for a while, just like it did on the Surveyor... and slack off again once all the little booboos get corrected. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another Surveyor, but if you look at my signature, you'll realize that I didn't. I wish you the best of luck with your new trailer, whatever you choose...
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
We have a 2011 SV264 and we love ours. The only thing that went wrong with ours was the radio quit working. We replaced it and all is well.
cwalters2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
I believe that as a general rule you should stay away from Forest River or Thor products. They are buying up companies and their quality is not up to most people's expectations. Both companies just issued a press release admitting that their companies have let customers down as far as quality and service are concerned. If you build trailers as cheaply as possible and then sell at low prices you have little money left for warranty work or for improving your already low quality. It is a vicious cycle that we have created. We end up fixing problems that the companies should have covered. At least they have come clean on their problems. That's a good first step. Let's see what they do next.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
As a addition to 09 Harleys post, go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations website and sign up for their recall email list. Forest River is on there multiple times every week. The list addresses autos, commercial vehicles, and RVs/trailers to name a few.
Falfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
We also have a 2012 Surveyor SV-264 that was purchased in July of 2011. We really like ours. The only problem I had was the thermostat in the hot water heater got replaced last year. The hot water heater quit working on electric and only worked on propane. Other than that, no other problems. This is the first TT we have owned so I don't have anything else to compare it to. The 2012 Surveyor select models had torsion axles and our trailer pulls very nice. We are basically weekend warriors with ours but we take a 1 week long trip once a year in it. Right now we have about 10,000 miles pulled on it and I did replace the cheap Chinese tires on it last year with Maxxis tires. We have definitely been pleased with our purchase and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

MetalGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
hidee ho

We have a 2013 Surveyor Sport 220, a 25' single slide trailer that has given us no trouble at all (other than what I have caused). It is a good 3 season trailer but a takes a little work in the winter (thermal curtains, etc.). As with any manufacturer, Forest River has problems but you can't blanket say all their products are no good. We would buy another one given the right floor plan. Good luck.
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi
2013 Forest River Surveyor Sport 220 25'
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
We owned a 2007 Surveyor SV291 that we bought new in 2006. It was a great trailer and we would probably still have it if a 20 ' tree limb had not gone through the roof and separated the "slide" side wall from the trailer in 2014. This was the second time a limb went through the roof of our Surveyor. The first,in 2010 The trailer was repaired by a local dealer and we had no problems after the repair. If Surveyors were still sold locally we would have defiantly considered another one.
2014 Avenger 27RLS Touring Edition
montgomeryAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
HI. We had a Grand Surveyor 28 and I have to say, it was a nightmare. Constant problems with a major delamination all over the rig. It would be the last brand I would consider these days with the competition that is out there.
RVinghobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
we had an 08 surveyor 19', for about 6 mos. It was too small, but, the quality & build were fine.

in 6 mos, we put in a new water heater, that was about it.

You have to remember that about all the manufacturers use the same components...and the shell is all they really make...then they add all the options that everyone uses.

We have a new cruiser RV now, it's fine..I shop by price & the impression of quality..not science.

Stuart, Fl
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote