Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Found a tt on Craigslist today and

wanted to ask a couple question. I did write the seller of course, but it's a 13 ft. and wondering if my small, Ford Ranger type truck (it's a Mazda B3000, V6) would pull this without any negative strain?

If that may work, I would love to ask more input on the trailer. It sounds they put some good work into it, and I am an "easy" keeper, don't need fancy anything Denise

PS here's the ad, 13 ft aristacrat camper

'course I don't know if it's even available yet, but it will be good to know in the future if this one doesn't work out

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

That is a vintage camper and made of good ole heavy steel and other not so light material. I personally think you would not be able to tow this unit with your Mazda without overheating or transmission problems. I would think that the unit will not have brakes so it would be all on your truck to stop.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
wanted to ask a couple question. I did write the seller of course, but it's a 13 ft. and wondering if my small, Ford Ranger type truck (it's a Mazda B3000, V6) would pull this without any negative strain?
That I don't know if your truck can pull it, but for $800 it sounds fine. I assume everything works on it and the tires aren't bald or 10 yrs old. It's small so will fit in any CG. Let us know if you buy it.

As for your truck... you should be able to find out how much it can safely tow and then get the weight of that TT.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
That is a vintage camper and made of good ole heavy steel and other not so light material. I personally think you would not be able to tow this unit with your Mazda without overheating or transmission problems. I would think that the unit will not have brakes so it would be all on your truck to stop.
I think you are right about towing the trailer. From what I heard in my research, I just don't think it will work. I don't want to kill my truck so might be looking at some other way, thank you much for your input trackman Denise
PS Yes, that is a 70 something trailer I found out, no toilet, not shower, and they took the stove our for some reason. Also, put a rollaway bed in it, geesh, it's gutted:(
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
That I don't know if your truck can pull it, but for $800 it sounds fine. I assume everything works on it and the tires aren't bald or 10 yrs old. It's small so will fit in any CG. Let us know if you buy it.

As for your truck... you should be able to find out how much it can safely tow and then get the weight of that TT.
Hi Rancarr, yep, I decided no on that trailer as you can see above in my reply to trackman.

There will have to be another way open up for me Hope your day is going good, Denise
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Our first TT was a 17' Aristocrat LoLiner. many a happy week end with the kids and great memories. It was heavy for my 74 Blazer, but that baby was built for camping, especially for the winter. Sometimes I wish I had kept her.

May I suggest looking at one of the Tear Drop type trailers. I think it would be an easy pull for your truck. Good luck.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #7

Check this out...

...a pretty good list of ultra-lite TT's and such. Your truck is rated at 2500#'s more or less depending on the year.

Check out this site (although it hasn't been updated since 2009, but hey, you're looking used anyway): Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
PS Yes, that is a 70 something trailer I found out, no toilet, not shower, and they took the stove our for some reason. Also, put a rollaway bed in it, geesh, it's gutted:(
RUN from it! There is some reason it was "gutted." And don't even think of getting a TT without a bathroom.

Have you considered a Popup trailer? They'll have a potty-pot and be lighter than a TT. A woman alone, you don't want to be walking to a bathroom in the middle of the night.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

X2 on the bathroom! You should get one with a bathroom.
I love those aristocrats! I think they are adorable. Keep shopping around for one that's not gutted.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
...a pretty good list of ultra-lite TT's and such. Your truck is rated at 2500#'s more or less depending on the year.

Check out this site (although it hasn't been updated since 2009, but hey, you're looking used anyway): Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers
Thanks for the link bubwheat I'll take a gander Denise, and yes, definitely used will work for me
Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
RUN from it! There is some reason it was "gutted." And don't even think of getting a TT without a bathroom.

Have you considered a Popup trailer? They'll have a potty-pot and be lighter than a TT. A woman alone, you don't want to be walking to a bathroom in the middle of the night.
Thank you RC I will be taking my time looking, but also, I have considered the popups. When I am ready to "fly" I think one of the A frame metal type would be wonderful, but even those might be higher in weight. Could be I can buy a used Class C.

Thank you again Denise
Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
X2 on the bathroom! You should get one with a bathroom.
I love those aristocrats! I think they are adorable. Keep shopping around for one that's not gutted.
Will do Corlynn I need a toity, stove, preferably the shower also

Thank you much! Denise
Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you RC I will be taking my time looking, but also, I have considered the popups. When I am ready to "fly" I think one of the A frame metal type would be wonderful, but even those might be higher in weight. Could be I can buy a used Class C.

Thank you again Denise
Well, no one type of RV is an end all, be all. For instance, a Class A, C (for most people), necessitates another vehicle that you would have to tow, maintain, insure, etc.

Teardrops and popups are pretty small for someone that is full time or extensively travels. Serious lack of storage space. Where are you going to put summer, spring, fall clothing?

For me as a single guy, a TT fits the bill nicely, plus like you I already had the truck, so I just bought the TT that would fit it. It's worked out pretty nicely!

Here's my little setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_SilverCity_NM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	38729  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Well, no one type of RV is an end all, be all. For instance, a Class A, C (for most people), necessitates another vehicle that you would have to tow, maintain, insure, etc.

Teardrops and popups are pretty small for someone that is full time or extensively travels. Serious lack of storage space. Where are you going to put summer, spring, fall clothing?

For me as a single guy, a TT fits the bill nicely, plus like you I already had the truck, so I just bought the TT that would fit it. It's worked out pretty nicely!

Here's my little setup!
Oh it looks great Bubwheat!!

thanks all for the info, I decided to go with what I have now, which is a canopy on my truck. Since I can only go weekends through the Summer while I work here, I am going to try and get something like the pic below put in. Thanks again all, I'll see if I can put a stop on this thread, Denise!!